Mustang GT ... need FRPP GTA muffler install help - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to superman112
Mustang GT ... need FRPP GTA muffler install help

Hi Everyone... I just installed the FRPP GTA mufflers (Thanks Ninosport) but I am having an issue. The muffler on the passenger side wont go in all the way. I didnt notice how far out it was until I say the driver side on. Well I used everything I can think of but I cant get the passenger side to go in any further. Wierd thing is when looking at both from beneath the car. Only one (passenger side) has the written info facing down. Anyone else who has installed these mufflers, have u noticed the same thing? I wonder if I got a defective set and I cant call the vendor because its Sat and its almost 7pm here on the east coast. Any help or opinions would be really appreciated. Should I take it to a local muffler show and have them try and fix this?? Let me know

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by superman112 View Post
Hi Everyone... I just installed the FRPP GTA mufflers (Thanks Ninosport) but I am having an issue. The muffler on the passenger side wont go in all the way. I didnt notice how far out it was until I say the driver side on. Well I used everything I can think of but I cant get the passenger side to go in any further. Wierd thing is when looking at both from beneath the car. Only one (passenger side) has the written info facing down. Anyone else who has installed these mufflers, have u noticed the same thing? I wonder if I got a defective set and I cant call the vendor because its Sat and its almost 7pm here on the east coast. Any help or opinions would be really appreciated. Should I take it to a local muffler show and have them try and fix this?? Let me know
I suppose it could be a problem with the positioning of the hangers (on the muffler). Are you sure you have the pipe all the way on the overaxle pipe.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

I just installed mine this week and found that problem with the left (drivers side) wouldn't go in completely. It maybe 3\8" from the location pin welded onto the overaxle pipe. I looked at it form the back and the mufflers and pipes look even so I tighten it up and have no problems at all. No rattles. The writing on mine is on the left side. I didn't look at the numbers on the mufflers but they are probable the same for both sides except for how the inlet pipe welded on.

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007

how far does each slide on compared to the other?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerino2000 View Post
how far does each slide on compared to the other?
well the driver side is about 1 to 1 1/2 inch further the the passenger side. I wonder if I cut a small piece off the piping if that would help
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007

What I am getting at is maybe they didn't bump it enough when they sized the pipe. You can get a pipe expander and open it up some if that is what the problem is.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007
S197 Member

Take it to a Muffler shop or wait till Monday and Call Nino. I know him very well and he will do what ever he has to, to make things right for you.

On a side note, I've had nothing but Problems with these mufflers.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007
PONY Member
S197 Member

Well my recommendation is to loosen the H-pipe (right under drivers side seat) and position the mufflers the way you want them and then tighten them back down. I had a similar problem with my SLP's not hanging right. The rubber piece the hanger goes in was hanging too low and i added a nut to hold it up. im sure you should be able to fabricate something...GL

2006 GT....White On Black.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerino2000 View Post
What I am getting at is maybe they didn't bump it enough when they sized the pipe. You can get a pipe expander and open it up some if that is what the problem is.
Good idea, where can I get a pipe expander? Autozone maybe? Well I cut some off the axle piping and its alot closer to the driver side. BAd part is a ran out of cutting wheels for my dremel. I'll try again tomorrow. I'm goona go see blades of glory. I hear its funny. All other Will Ferrell movies are!!
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

There is an aligment tip on the top of the exhaust pipe.Its sticks up about a 1/16' of an inch,just enough to stop the axle back from sliding in far enough.You'll see a slot cut into the new assmebly that slides onto the pipe.Take your dremmel and grind the tip off on both pipes.I had the same problem when I installed my Stingers.I did trade out for GTA's.

98'GT Rio Red
Loaded opts. from the factory
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose_knuckle View Post
Well my recommendation is to loosen the H-pipe (right under drivers side seat) and position the mufflers the way you want them and then tighten them back down. I had a similar problem with my SLP's not hanging right. The rubber piece the hanger goes in was hanging too low and i added a nut to hold it up. im sure you should be able to fabricate something...GL
I had to loosen H pipe to get them to hand down the same distance on each side. No problems with one sticking out though. And no fabrication needed.

2006 Redfire GT Vert Auto, every factory option, 490rwhp JDM Saleen SC, One piece driveshaft, Steeda ultralight springs - rear adjustable UCA and LCAs, CHE relo brackets, Granelli front cross-member, Intrax sway bars, Tokico dampers, Hawk brake pads, Shelby Redline wheels and Nitto tires, GT500 exhaust, FRPP 3.73's, Pioneer AVIC-D3 navigation head unit, and Saleen HID headlights. See profile for appearance mods

The pipe expander you can get at AutoZone.

Ironically, I just noticed on my brand new 07 that the passenger side tip sticks out about an inch farther than the drivers side. Stuff like this drives me nuts!
Apprentice

I just install my FRPP GTA's last week end and of course faced the same problem, driver's side muffler was getting out one inch more than the passenger's side one !!
Already, starting installation, I found one braket was to be bent to align the tip with the bumper's round part !
After carefully reading all this post, I spent another half an hour under the car and loosen both H pype and Muffler connections, repositioned the muffler with rubber hammer, support it with a piece of wood and fasten all bolts, perfect result !!:eyepoppin
Thanks again to all crew of this post for their help !!!

Mustang 05 GT Sceaming Yellow, manual. Steeda CAI + Predator Bamachip tunes, CMDP, Underdrive Pulley,
Eibach Pro springs, Tokico D spec,Camber plates Steeda Adj Panhard bar + brace, Front G brace, Uca + Lca's & relocation brakets, oil separator, hood pins. FRPP GTA muffler, Saleen HID Headlights & short throw shifter. Steeda 18" Pentar wheels with 255/45/18 front, 275/40/18 back, sequential tail lights.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I'm glad it worked out for ya!! How are you liking to sound of the car so far?? I had the SLP loudmouths and well.. you do loose some of that awesome "loudness" but man its nice to be driving and actually be able to hear my IPOD!!
Apprentice

I realy like the sound (even my wife likes it !!!) Before, I had a set of Steeda/borla afterback exhaust, lovely sound but the droning at 2000 rpm was too much for us, and the cruising on French highways beeing around 80/90 mph, big headhake after hundred miles !!!
With FRPP GTA's, no droning at all, quite at low rpm and muscle car sound at WOT, just what I need, thanks again for your help !

Mustang 05 GT Sceaming Yellow, manual. Steeda CAI + Predator Bamachip tunes, CMDP, Underdrive Pulley,
Eibach Pro springs, Tokico D spec,Camber plates Steeda Adj Panhard bar + brace, Front G brace, Uca + Lca's & relocation brakets, oil separator, hood pins. FRPP GTA muffler, Saleen HID Headlights & short throw shifter. Steeda 18" Pentar wheels with 255/45/18 front, 275/40/18 back, sequential tail lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page