I've got a 'clank' going on - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

I've got a 'clank' going on

Yesterday, I was backing out from a parking spot and heard a metallic "clank" sound from the front of the car. Today I was going 2 mph and applying the breaks to stop and heard it again. What could it be?

2006 Black GTA Premium Vert

Mods:
JLT CAI/Bama 93 race Tune/ Taillight trim/Trunk Letters/painted calipers/CDC Classic Chin Spoiler/Ford Exhaust Tips/Pony emblems/Sequential Taillights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Only when applying the brakes??

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Are you missing any pet armadillos since this began happening?

2010 Roush Stage 1, Kona Blue
2011 Camaro SS Convertible, Red Jewel

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

No missing armadillos here in NY. I heard it again yesterday. Not as loud, but almost sounds like someone hit the bottom of the car with a ball peen hammer. It wasn't very loud, but was a 'clang' noise.

Mods:
JLT CAI/Bama 93 race Tune/ Taillight trim/Trunk Letters/painted calipers/CDC Classic Chin Spoiler/Ford Exhaust Tips/Pony emblems/Sequential Taillights
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathansdad04 View Post
No missing armadillos here in NY. I heard it again yesterday. Not as loud, but almost sounds like someone hit the bottom of the car with a ball peen hammer. It wasn't very loud, but was a 'clang' noise.
I'm sorry to hear about your problem. I don't think you're getting any replies because you're not describing the circumstances well enough. Auto or manual, emergency brake in use before the sound, turning the wheel, engaging the clutch, etc. You need to describe the problem in more detail.

2010 Roush Stage 1, Kona Blue
2011 Camaro SS Convertible, Red Jewel
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Ok.I'll try to be more specific...
The 3-4 times it's happened(clank noise) I was barley moving. Once I was backing up and just starting to go forward. Second time I was moving forward a spot in the drive-thru line. 3rd time I was just starting out of my driveway(from a standstill).
My car is auto, no e-brake being used...only thing that is consistent is the fact that the sound only happens when I'm going very slowly. I'm not sure how much(if at all) I'm turning the wheels when it happens.

Mods:
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Ok.I'll try to be more specific...
The 3-4 times it's happened(clank noise) I was barley moving. Once I was backing up and just starting to go forward. Second time I was moving forward a spot in the drive-thru line. 3rd time I was just starting out of my driveway(from a standstill).
My car is auto, no e-brake being used...only thing that is consistent is the fact that the sound only happens when I'm going very slowly. I'm not sure how much(if at all) I'm turning the wheels when it happens.
Only coming from the rear? Or front? Or all around? Both sides?

I noticed the painted calipers in your signature. That's usually not a problem, but... they could be sticking and not releasing. It's just one thing to consider.

~Mo

'05 Ford Mustang GT: C&L CAI; Bassani X & axlebacks; BMR Adj'ble Panhard rod; FRPP 4.10s; MGW shifter; Steeda UDPs; FRPP suspension.

"Got V8?"
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

It happened again today...when I applied the brakes(at 2mph). I can't tell if it may be a caliper or maybe some part of the suspension. It sounded more like a 'crack' noise. Not like something broke, but just a slight 'crack' sound. The sound is only from the front of the car...I'm not sure what side(maybe both) the sound is coming from.
The calipers were painted 6 months ago, so I not sure if that would create a problem now.

Mods:
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007
Classic Member
S197 Member

Could be the front swaybar is getting loose at the vertical swaybar link.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

I'll have to get under the car and start tugging on the suspension to see if anything is noticeably loose.
It's weird, though...it only happens when I'm going slow(2mph) and/or just starting from a standstill.

Mods:
Apprentice
S197 Member

There is a TSB concerning a clun king noise that is due to a sticking E-Brake cable. After applying the e-brake, it gets stuck and makes a clunk noise once the e-brakes are released and the car starts rolling.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

I've got an Auto....I don't use the E-brake. Plus the E-brake locks up the rear brakes not the front, correct?

Mods:
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
I've got an Auto....I don't use the E-brake. Plus the E-brake locks up the rear brakes not the front, correct?
yeah, that's definitely not your problem.

1965 Mustang Coupe

if it's a "pop" type sound and your car is an 05 there's an outside it could be the strut mount.

sway bar endlinks are another possibility.

the spring could be rotating a touch and then popping back into place [?]
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

I just rotated my tires yesterday and noticed a couple loose lugnuts on the driver's side front tire. I haven't heard the 'clank' again(yet)....maybe my rim was knocking on the lug bolts because of the loose lugnuts. If I don't hear the noise in the next couple days I'll assume the problem has been solved.

Mods:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page