Lowering car this weekend....any last minute warnings/suggestions? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007 Thread Starter
MACH I Member

Lowering car this weekend....any last minute warnings/suggestions?

I'm planning on lowering the car this weekend. I'm installing Tokico HP shocks/struts and Eibach Springs. It will be lowered 1" in the front and 1.5" in the back. My buddy thinks I shouldn't do it out of fear for my safety and the car. I'm confident and got some tools, what do you guys think? Anyone ever done this themselves? Anything I should look out for? I know the spring can jack me up, so I'll keep my eyes peeled for that. Anything else? Thanks for the help!!!

2005 Sonic Blue GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007
4.6L Member

When u go to let the pressure off of the springs make sure the car is low to the ground and use a long handle jack to stay as far away as u can step out of the way and slowly let the jack out. The back one's make sure the jack is under the control arm even if u can spin the spring by hand with the rear up in the air. Then be extra careful when installing the springs. If they are coilovers take out the top bolt first so the strut can fall down and let any pressure off of the unit and have the jack under the spindle to let is down slowly. But usually with coilovers it is bolt on bolt off real easy, "just don't unscrew the top bolt please on coilover's or u will die, unless u have a spring compressor, and know how to use it!"

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwilly43729 View Post
I'm planning on lowering the car this weekend. I'm installing Tokico HP shocks/struts and Eibach Springs. It will be lowered 1" in the front and 1.5" in the back. My buddy thinks I shouldn't do it out of fear for my safety and the car. I'm confident and got some tools, what do you guys think? Anyone ever done this themselves? Anything I should look out for? I know the spring can jack me up, so I'll keep my eyes peeled for that. Anything else? Thanks for the help!!!
You arlready know to be careful when unloading the spring from the front struts. Also make sure to support the rear axle when you are taking the rear springs and shocks out, don't let the rear axle be supported by the drive shaft.

07 Grabber Orange Manual GT
Whipple HO Superchager, Tokico D Specs, FRPP Springs, Steeda Rear Sway Bar, Spoon Adjustable Panrod , Flowmaster Axle Backs, J&M Chamber Plates, LCAs and Adjustable UCA, GT500 Brembo brakes, Autometer Nexus Gauges, Thumprrr tensioner, LPW Diff cover

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007 Thread Starter
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clfrye View Post
You arlready know to be careful when unloading the spring from the front struts. Also make sure to support the rear axle when you are taking the rear springs and shocks out, don't let the rear axle be supported by the drive shaft.
That's why I love these boards. I seriously would have never thought about that. Thanks for the heads up on that.:hihi:

2005 Sonic Blue GT
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007
S197 Member

Make sure you have a camber kit ready - My car needed one. It is a hit or miss thing with the geometry to get your steering lined up....

Cheers,
SA
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007 Thread Starter
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005roush View Post
Make sure you have a camber kit ready - My car needed one. It is a hit or miss thing with the geometry to get your steering lined up....

Cheers,
SA
Can that be corrected if I get an alignment, or is it something I need to do? Also, do the strut mounts need to be replaced? I've read where they do and I've read where they don't.

2005 Sonic Blue GT
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007
PONY Member
S197 Member

It may be inappropriate to link another forum,.... http://www.mustangforums.com/m_3070963/tm.htm
this ROCKS.

Good Luck:eyepoppin

'06 GT Vert Torch Red/Black top/int, IUP, Polished Bullits, , PioneerInfinityMTX Sound System, Tuneable Induction by DeMolet, SCT2 93 Octane Tune by Brenspeed, Red Calipers, Steeda Ultra Lites, Shifted by Hurst,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page