should i install the bmr adj panhard myself? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007 Thread Starter

should i install the bmr adj panhard myself?

Just ordered a bmr adjustable panhard bar and was wondering how complicated it was to install. I have basic hand tools, and i've installed my cai and cmdp's myself no problem. Just wanted to know before i lay down $100+ for someone to do it for me. Oh, and does anyone have a tech link for the install? I checked in the tech link page but didn't find anything. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007
Apprentice
S197 Member

mine went in no problem ajustment is simple

2006 GT 5 sp manual with a Kenne Bell 2.6 L S/C Intercooled 8 psi boost DiadloSport Predator Tuner and Motoblue RS Axil_back mufflers
FALKEN Ziex S/TZ-01 P275/50R-17 on the back BMR progressive springs(1.25/1.75) BMR adj.panhard and Tokico D shocks and struts,MGW shifter
with the springs and the Tokico's it handles like a rat in a drain pipe
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

you should be able to do it. its not as hard as the cmdps

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007 Thread Starter

sorry if i sound ignorant, but is it easier with a lift? will i need to remove the wheels?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007
MACH I Member

It's a piece of cake to install and adjust.

1) Raise the car; get a jack and some jackstands for like $50-70 @ sears or something like that.
2) Loosen up the PH Bar bracket on the passenger side, just a little bit
3) Unbolt the stock bar (you can see it clear as day)
4) If it doesn't fall out, loosen up the bracket some more.
5) Grease up the bushings on the new bar and slide it in.
6) Adjust for fitment and tighten the bar to 129-ft/lbs and the bracket to 98 ft/lbs. Impact wrench comes in handy here.
7) Look at your rear tires (if you didn't take them off). You should be able to notice that the passenger side is "pushed in" a bit more than the driver's side. Adjust the bar by loosening up the nut on one end and using a adj. wrench to adjust where the groove is at on the bar. You can just twist it too. Don't quote me, but if you are under the car and your head is facing forward, twisting the bar to the right will shift the axle in the direction you want it in. Give it a few turns and check the wheel alignment. When you are satisfied with it, tighten up that nut and lower the car.
8) All done!!

TIP: Use some WD-40 to loosen up those bolts. Taking the swaybar out will give you some added space to work with.

Or you can just follow these instructions. They are for a CHE bar, but the concept is still the same. Good luck!!

CHE Performance Products

2005 Sonic Blue GT
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007 Thread Starter

thanks a lot bigwilly. sounds pretty easy. i'm glad i asked ahead of time; sounds pretty easy to do. thanks everyone for the help!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007
MACH I Member

No prob. Whatever I can do to give back to the community.

2005 Sonic Blue GT
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfnstang View Post
Just ordered a bmr adjustable panhard bar and was wondering how complicated it was to install. I have basic hand tools, and i've installed my cai and cmdp's myself no problem. Just wanted to know before i lay down $100+ for someone to do it for me. Oh, and does anyone have a tech link for the install? I checked in the tech link page but didn't find anything. Thanks!
Don't buy it if you don't need it. I wasted my money buying this. My suspension still does the same thing after install. One side higher than the other. I would absolutely bet my soul that I did set it up correctly. Install your springs, see if you need it first. I adjusted the axle to within 1/16 of an inch side to side. It has NO affect on ride height. I have even taken the springs out and put them on opposite sides. Still 1/2" higher on the drive side. I measured in my drive way. 1/2" out. Pulled in my garage even. Pulled out 1/4" out. Pulled into the garage 1/4"under. It did this with the stock panhard also. Waste of money. Don't buy one until you absolutely need one. My car handled better before I installed.

Sold'86 GT Jalapeno Red 'vert, 200,000 miles Lots of Mods!!!!

2006 Mustang GT
C&L Racer, Eibach, SCT, CHE, CMCV Deletes, PRP, 4:10s on the way.

New toy:
1989 Mustang 2.3L Auto. 5.0 waiting in the garage...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marks86gt View Post
Don't buy it if you don't need it. I wasted my money buying this. My suspension still does the same thing after install. One side higher than the other. I would absolutely bet my soul that I did set it up correctly. Install your springs, see if you need it first. I adjusted the axle to within 1/16 of an inch side to side. It has NO affect on ride height. I have even taken the springs out and put them on opposite sides. Still 1/2" higher on the drive side. I measured in my drive way. 1/2" out. Pulled in my garage even. Pulled out 1/4" out. Pulled into the garage 1/4"under. It did this with the stock panhard also. Waste of money. Don't buy one until you absolutely need one. My car handled better before I installed.
well the driver side rear wheel is sticking out i'd say about 1/4" farther than the passenger side. Is there a way to adjust this without the adjustable panhard bar?
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfnstang View Post
well the driver side rear wheel is sticking out i'd say about 1/4" farther than the passenger side. Is there a way to adjust this without the adjustable panhard bar?
No, that's the purpose of the panhard bar, to center the rear end under the car.

2005 Mustang GT with 300 ci 04 Cobra iron block, Kenne Bell 2.6l twin screw, P&P S3 Heads, SS valves, Comp S3 cams, Currie 9+ 9" rear end and DS, Hurst shifter, BMR K-member, A-arms, LCAs & UCA, JBA long tubes & mid-pipe, Accel COPs, Dual GT500 fuel pumps, much more...
670 RWHP, 640Tq @ 16 psi & 6400 RPM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page