2005 Mustang GT power steering noise - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007 Thread Starter

2005 Mustang GT power steering noise

This is a post I copied pasted from the V6 Tech forum from a guy named zenflow. I've be trying to think of a way to describe it and he describes the problem perfectly

"When I am driving at extremely low speed and turning the steering wheel at a large degree of travel, I hear a noise. Almost sounds like a rubing noise, kinda like a faint humm at a kinda high pitch. It only happens when driving slow and really turning the steering wheel more than normal driving (such as when I am pulling into my parking space). The noise stops as soon as I stop turning the wheel. Any ideas on what this could be? I checked the power steering fluid level and it is fine (just below the top mark). Thanks for any help."

I'd like to add that it even makes the noise when I standing still.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Sounds like your power steering pump. My truck is starting to do the same thing. You'll hear that when you're putting strain on the pump, like when trying to turn the wheel while the car isn't moving. That's bad on the whole steering sysetm. When the car gets a few miles on it, the pump starts to wear. My truck has just over 82K miles and I can hear the pump when I'm going slow, like in a parking lot. I'll have to replace it in the not so distant future. The sound gets progressively worse as the pump starts to fail.

'05 Sonic Blue GT w/ '07 V8 engine, 5-sp, IUP, Beige leather interior, nothing else -
just the way I wanted it. (1 of 113)
OK, so I've added a few things to it. Check my Profile - too many to list here.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by myltlpny View Post
Sounds like your power steering pump. My truck is starting to do the same thing. You'll hear that when you're putting strain on the pump, like when trying to turn the wheel while the car isn't moving. That's bad on the whole steering sysetm. When the car gets a few miles on it, the pump starts to wear. My truck has just over 82K miles and I can hear the pump when I'm going slow, like in a parking lot. I'll have to replace it in the not so distant future. The sound gets progressively worse as the pump starts to fail.
Wow!! I've only got a little over 26,000 miles on her. Now I have to convince the dealer to replace it. It only does it after it gets hot. It seems to have progressively gotten worse.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Pump or the rack and pinion. The steering racks in the these cars are not the best.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via MSN to hawgman Send a message via Yahoo to hawgman
My power steering has been making noise also. At first it was a squeaking noise with the car sitting still, just slight movement on the steering wheel. Kind of the noise tires make on a garage floor. The noise got louder over a couple of weeks. Then the next symptom was a chirping noise when the car first starts up, like a pulley making noise. Today I noticed the power steering wasn't nearly as "assisted" as it used to be. So I popped the cap on the PS fluid reservoir and there is no fluid movement what so ever in the reservoir. I am suspecting that the pump and the rack have probably both crapped the bed. I know of several other people that have had the power steering go out on their Mustangs also.

2005 GT Premium,torch red, all available factory options.
Performance mods: Lets just say it's not stock.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

This IntelliTXT stuff sucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page