2007 Mustang GT adding BBK Longtubes--do I need a tune?? - Ford Mustang Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007 Thread Starter
S197 Member
 
ZaidV8's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 6
 
2007 Mustang GT adding BBK Longtubes--do I need a tune??

Last month I received a JLT intake, SCTXal2 Combo from Brenspeed. (Great deal). The thing is that i buy longtubes from BBK,
1. I dont know if I need a new tune?
2.What do I need to turn off the rear o2 sensors? if I decide to delete cats.


Thanks

ZaidV8 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007
MACH I Member
 
bigwilly43729's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,285
 
I have heard that the car runs a bit sluggish w/o a tune after LT's. I believe that the tuner can turn off the rear O2 sensors so you don't get funky error codes.


2005 Sonic Blue GT
bigwilly43729 is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007
MODERATOR
Classic Member
S197 Member
 
stlwagon's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Southern
Posts: 72,882
                 
Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaidV8 View Post
Last month I received a JLT intake, SCTXal2 Combo from Brenspeed. (Great deal). The thing is that i buy longtubes from BBK,
1. I dont know if I need a new tune?
2.What do I need to turn off the rear o2 sensors? if I decide to delete cats.


Thanks
I'm guessing you got a new midpipe (H or X) with the longtubes? Even if you plan to run highflow cats you probably need to get the rear O2s turned off (not something you can do yourself). Good chance you need to get your tune tweaked anyway since the LTs may cause you to run lean.

1965 Mustang Coupe
stlwagon is offline  
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007
MACH I Member
 
bigwilly43729's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,285
 
stl's always cleaning up my mistakes, ha ha.

2005 Sonic Blue GT
bigwilly43729 is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007
MODERATOR
Classic Member
S197 Member
 
stlwagon's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Southern
Posts: 72,882
                 
Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwilly43729 View Post
stl's always cleaning up my mistakes, ha ha.
Actually there was nothing wrong with what you said. :eyepoppin

1965 Mustang Coupe
stlwagon is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007
S197 Member
 
chevykiller's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 208
 
Do you 'HAVE' to have a tune - NO

Here is something to keep to heart and always remember...

Whenever you add a mod that changes fuel or airflow (even slightly) to your car, a new tune is the ONLY way to get the maximum benefits out of your new mod.

Without a tune, you are not ever going to get the maximum benefit out of your mod.

This is why I suggest to guys to try to do mods in sets where a a new tune covers several mods. And try to piece your mods together to do things that compliment each other at the same time. If you are doing a mod that invloves the rear end, knock out anything else in the rear end at the same time even if it means saving a little longer. If you are not a DIY kind of guy, then labor alone is something to consider.

If you want a TC and headers on your mod list, wait till you can do them both so the tranny is already pulled for the headers, etc. etc

You get the point...

The main answer is get a tune. Why sepnd money on a good mod and not get the most out of it? And Yes, you deactivate your downstream 02 sensors when you lose the cats. You always have the upstream no matter what.

Shop smart...shop S-Mart...
chevykiller is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007
GT Member
S197 Member
 
GTNOS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: okc
Posts: 1,749
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaidV8 View Post
Last month I received a JLT intake, SCTXal2 Combo from Brenspeed. (Great deal). The thing is that i buy longtubes from BBK,
1. I dont know if I need a new tune?
2.What do I need to turn off the rear o2 sensors? if I decide to delete cats.


Thanks
if you wait awhile, you can get some MIL eliminators to turn off the check engine light. they plug into the harness where the 02 sensors connected. they basically lie to the computer and tell it that the cats are there and the levels are OK.

2006 Tungsten GT 5 speed -Hurst | C & L CAI, | Predator running 91 torque tune (91 race for track)-BAMA. | MAC Boomtubes | FRPP 4.10s|Kaenan 3in cowl hood.

2006 F150 Supercrew Lariat 4x4 Black- 5.4, Hellbent Steel 2.5 level with 35x12.5x20 toyo m/ts on blk XD Hoss wheels, roll up tonneau, Gotts CAI, predator 91 performance tune.

Wifes Ride: 2013 Explorer XLT 2.0 Ecoboost. Stock as stock can be, but hey... on the bright side... she has a turbo!
GTNOS is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007
GT Member
S197 Member
 
GTNOS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: okc
Posts: 1,749
 
here you go.... site for MIL elimators for a variety of vehicles...and.... YUP, '05 mustang 4.6 is listed as under development. looks like it'll run you about $20 unless they up the price

MIL Eliminators, Malfunction Indicator Light Eliminators,


there maybe other manufacturers that already make them.... you just have to search


now i have a question for you (and others with longtubes).

Do your headers hang down below the frame awaiting scrapping and denting like in all previous years of mustangs? im considering longtubes and am curious, because i plan on lowering my car with springs also.



.

2006 Tungsten GT 5 speed -Hurst | C & L CAI, | Predator running 91 torque tune (91 race for track)-BAMA. | MAC Boomtubes | FRPP 4.10s|Kaenan 3in cowl hood.

2006 F150 Supercrew Lariat 4x4 Black- 5.4, Hellbent Steel 2.5 level with 35x12.5x20 toyo m/ts on blk XD Hoss wheels, roll up tonneau, Gotts CAI, predator 91 performance tune.

Wifes Ride: 2013 Explorer XLT 2.0 Ecoboost. Stock as stock can be, but hey... on the bright side... she has a turbo!
GTNOS is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007
MODERATOR
Classic Member
S197 Member
 
stlwagon's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Southern
Posts: 72,882
                 
Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTNOS View Post
here you go.... site for MIL elimators for a variety of vehicles...and.... YUP, '05 mustang 4.6 is listed as under development. looks like it'll run you about $20 unless they up the price

MIL Eliminators, Malfunction Indicator Light Eliminators,


there maybe other manufacturers that already make them.... you just have to search


now i have a question for you (and others with longtubes).

Do your headers hang down below the frame awaiting scrapping and denting like in all previous years of mustangs? im considering longtubes and am curious, because i plan on lowering my car with springs also.



.
Mine sure do... The SLPs are very long and the collectors (and cats) are well below the frame rail. Ended up destroying the cats from bottoming out on them so many times. Now I just run race pipes and my clearance issues are a thing of the past.

1965 Mustang Coupe
stlwagon is offline  
PONY Member
S197 Member
 
moose_knuckle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Northern
Posts: 348
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
Mine sure do... The SLPs are very long and the collectors (and cats) are well below the frame rail. Ended up destroying the cats from bottoming out on them so many times. Now I just run race pipes and my clearance issues are a thing of the past.
Is there any real way to stop the clearance problem without having to go without cats? Or does that just depend on the length of the LT's you are getting?

2006 GT....White On Black.
moose_knuckle is offline  
MODERATOR
Classic Member
S197 Member
 
stlwagon's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Southern
Posts: 72,882
                 
Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose_knuckle View Post
Is there any real way to stop the clearance problem without having to go without cats? Or does that just depend on the length of the LT's you are getting?
It is totally dependent on the length. My SLPs are super long which is the cause of my clearance issues. Kooks LTs are considerably shorter which places the cats higher and out of the way.

1965 Mustang Coupe
stlwagon is offline  
PONY Member
 
marks86gt's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Fairfield
Posts: 580
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose_knuckle View Post
Is there any real way to stop the clearance problem without having to go without cats? Or does that just depend on the length of the LT's you are getting?
I agree with STL depends on the length and what you want. JBA's tuck inside the subframe rails. No clearance prob's. I also run Eibach prokit springs. Also keep in mind that I chose JBA's because I wanted an h-pipe instead of an x-pipe for sound.

Sold'86 GT Jalapeno Red 'vert, 200,000 miles Lots of Mods!!!!

2006 Mustang GT
C&L Racer, Eibach, SCT, CHE, CMCV Deletes, PRP, 4:10s on the way.

New toy:
1989 Mustang 2.3L Auto. 5.0 waiting in the garage...
marks86gt is offline  
MODERATOR
Classic Member
S197 Member
 
stlwagon's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Southern
Posts: 72,882
                 
Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by marks86gt View Post
I agree with STL depends on the length and what you want. JBA's tuck inside the subframe rails. No clearance prob's. I also run Eibach prokit springs. Also keep in mind that I chose JBA's because I wanted an h-pipe instead of an x-pipe for sound.
I'd love an H... If I had to do over I'd have gone with a setup that offers one. I'm even considering having my X 'converted' or have a custom H fabricated for me.

1965 Mustang Coupe
stlwagon is offline  
S197 Member
 
lardadd's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 210
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
I'd love an H... If I had to do over I'd have gone with a setup that offers one. I'm even considering having my X 'converted' or have a custom H fabricated for me.
Whats the big hoo haa about the x over the H... is it performance or is it sound.... I understand a more straight flow.. but is that all...?
lardadd is offline  
MODERATOR
Classic Member
S197 Member
 
stlwagon's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Southern
Posts: 72,882
                 
Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by lardadd View Post
Whats the big hoo haa about the x over the H... is it performance or is it sound.... I understand a more straight flow.. but is that all...?
An X is far better for performance since it balances the exhaust gasses better but an H (in my opinion) sounds better.


1965 Mustang Coupe
stlwagon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ok, sell me a 2007 Mustang GT FuzzyDice 2005-2010 Mustang Talk 38 07-20-2007 07:02 PM
2007 Ford Mustang H&R review torres 2005-2010 Mustang Talk 1 02-27-2007 11:06 PM
2007 Mustang GT Rearend VenemoussC 2005-2010 Mustang GT Tech 27 01-01-2007 06:37 PM
2007 mustang regristry lets see..... the72fins 2005-2010 Mustang Talk 13 06-28-2006 11:32 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1