Cat Forward Headers - Worth the Price? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Cat Forward Headers - Worth the Price?

Guys,

My 06 GT is close to stock. The only mods so far are a K&N CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder Axle-Backs, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, and FRPP Sway Bars. I do have an SCT Tuner on order from Bama Chips. My question is, are shorty headers worth the money? Before I get another "if you have to ask the price you can't afford it" response, trust me, I can afford it. I just don't want to throw good money away. I want to put my money towards real HP improvements. By the way, I want to keep it 50 state smog legal so I'm not interested in long tube headers and high flow cats are too expensive. I searched the site for this topic before I posted this message but didn't see what I was looking for. In a nut shell, what are the best bang for the money shorty headers, FRPP, JBA, etc.? Thanks for the assist...

06 Mustang GT, Hurst short throw, Flowmasters, Steeda adj suspension system w/ Tokicko D-Specs, LCA's, panhard bar w/ brace, FRPP sway bars & Steeda endlinks, Steeda CAI, 18" deep dish bullitts w/ Nitto's (275's & 255's), CDC chin spoiler, Webasto power moon roof, MagnaCharger, Comp Cams XFI Stage 2 NSR cams, 4.10's, JBA Cat4Ward headers, Shaft Masters 3.5" al DS, MAC Prochamber, FRPP 62mm TB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Other than making the engine bay look a little nicer, there's really no performance value to shorty headers. The stock cast iron manifolds actually flow very well. I've run both tuned and unequal length shorties. Neither was worth the $$.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Thanks stlwagon. I wonder why the Shelby GTH's have FRPP shorty headers and an X pipe. Maybe just another reason to sell them for a premium when they come off rent at Hertz.

06 Mustang GT, Hurst short throw, Flowmasters, Steeda adj suspension system w/ Tokicko D-Specs, LCA's, panhard bar w/ brace, FRPP sway bars & Steeda endlinks, Steeda CAI, 18" deep dish bullitts w/ Nitto's (275's & 255's), CDC chin spoiler, Webasto power moon roof, MagnaCharger, Comp Cams XFI Stage 2 NSR cams, 4.10's, JBA Cat4Ward headers, Shaft Masters 3.5" al DS, MAC Prochamber, FRPP 62mm TB.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris D View Post
Thanks stlwagon. I wonder why the Shelby GTH's have FRPP shorty headers and an X pipe. Maybe just another reason to sell them for a premium when they come off rent at Hertz.
Don't know... I mean they're probably good for a few hp but certainly not worth the cost/hp gained. The X-pipe alone is good for more hp than the shorty headers.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Too bad I have the Flows. I've heard that they sound "tinny" with an X pipe. Looks like I'm stuck with the stock H pipe, at least untill I ever decide to replace the axle backs.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris D View Post
Too bad I have the Flows. I've heard that they sound "tinny" with an X pipe. Looks like I'm stuck with the stock H pipe, at least untill I ever decide to replace the axle backs.
That is correct... I hated my Flowmasters with the X. Very raspy and tinny.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007
S197 Member

from everything I have seen (dyno pulls) or read the shortys are good for 2 to 5 hp increase.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69stang View Post
from everything I have seen (dyno pulls) or read the shortys are good for 2 to 5 hp increase.
That's about what I thought. Certainly not a very cost effective mod.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007

the Hertz Shelby's don't have headers - just the x-pipe

shorties are good for a few PEAK horsepower, but about 8-12 depending on brand in the mid-range, which is where you feel it on the street. If you put them iun yourself they are worth it.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

What's wrong with LTs in Bama? You can get them catted if you're and enviromentalist (okay, picked a too big of a word for me... sigh....)

KJ, poorer but happier

Thanks to:
Modular Depot
Fox Lake Racing
Tunable Induction
Power House 411
Sun Coast Creations
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

KJ CINCI, I do live in Bama now and it's true that emmision inspections aren't required here. But I moved here from Atlanta and plan to move back some day. Emmision inspections are mandatory there. I don't want to have to alter my set up just to pass emmissions then which rules out LT's. I like the idea of high flow cats, but a set of Kook's headers with high flow cats is around $1400. Then I'd have to pay to have them installed. I did read the excellent post on Kook's LT installation on this site but I don't think that I want to try to install them myself. If I pick up significant rear wheel HP gain with the Kook's setup, then I'd think about it. But $2000 (Kook's + estimated installion cost) is too much to pay for an extra 10 to 15 HP don't you think?

SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

I'm guessing GA and Atlanta like all others (not CA) will rid the test eventually?

If there is a test isn't it every five years?

The catted Kooks system gives over 20 HP. OR closer to 30.

Prices you have are a good estimate. It is NOT an install you wanna do at home!

You may get $100 off here; Kooks 3V Long Tube Headers and X-Pipe they used to have an AFM special, call and ask for Brandon and ask him. (The set in the pic is mine... I have later gone catless...)

On the install ask for a firm price, if you don't know the shop? They should be able to do it for $450-500. (it can take 8-10 hours and sometimes you need extra hands... if a shop charges fully for those hours it will be pricey!!)

It is after the general mods the next step and well worth while. Power and TQ is awesome! Sound and looks nice bonuses! It should get you over the 300 mark! Then heads/cams would be next... mid 300's RWHP!!

KJ, poorer but happier

Thanks to:
Modular Depot
Fox Lake Racing
Tunable Induction
Power House 411
Sun Coast Creations
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeoflyer View Post
the Hertz Shelby's don't have headers - just the x-pipe

shorties are good for a few PEAK horsepower, but about 8-12 depending on brand in the mid-range, which is where you feel it on the street. If you put them iun yourself they are worth it.
8-12 rwhp?? Maybe if you're FI but not NA.

1965 Mustang Coupe
S197 Member

NO SHORTIES

3-4 horsepower
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER06MUSTANG View Post
NO SHORTIES

3-4 horsepower
+1. Everything I have read was about a 5 HP gain with the shorties.
Not only do the stock manifolds almost flow as well as stlwagon has said, but you won't get as good a scavenging affect with shorties that you get with long tubes. The primary tubes of the shorties just aren't long enough to produce any meaningful numbers. You will get about +25 with the long tubes and most of the extra HP comes from the superior scavenging of the long primaries since the gas velocity is higher and actually "sucks" on the following exhaust gas pulse which not only reduces back pressure, but "scavenges" all of the unburnt fuel (enert gas) from the cylinder. This enables you to get more of a fresh charge in each cylinder for a bigger boom (which is of course more power). If I was worried about passing an emissions test and couldn't do long tubes, then I wouldn't even bother with shorties. That's just MO.

06 Stang GT, Yeah I got stuff! Check out my profile for the low down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page