to delete plates, or not to delete plates? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via MSN to ArtDisco Send a message via Yahoo to ArtDisco
to delete plates, or not to delete plates?

I have the Charge Motion Delete Plates installed...against the advice of many. I was told you will lose low end torque in favor of high rpm performance. My thought was that since I was going with the 4.30 gear, that would make up for any loss of low end torque.

Now that all is in place...I have to wonder if it would be better to put the tumbler plates back in, and here's why:
at exact moments in the power curve, it sounds to me like the engine is bogging...much like a four-barrel would make an engine sound. When this happens, the power seems flat until the rpms get above 3600.

I'm almost ready to put the tumbler plates back in, just to see what I like better.

Anyone have any input?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Sounds like you may need your tune adjusted. I have not noticed any loss of low end torque.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007
S197 Member

Let us know if a different tune helps any. I have been worried about the low end loss as well. Need some more info before I make the jump myself.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007
MACH I Member

I've got plenty of torque. One member described it as "the front end car felt like it was coming up off the ground" and I concur. I punched it at a light and WOW, there was a noticeable difference. I don't have a custom tune either; I just set up the SF to know that there weren't any plates.

2005 Sonic Blue GT
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwilly43729 View Post
I've got plenty of torque. One member described it as "the front end car felt like it was coming up off the ground" and I concur. I punched it at a light and WOW, there was a noticeable difference. I don't have a custom tune either; I just set up the SF to know that there weren't any plates.
Do you have the older style Steeda plates or the newer ones that are like the ford racing ones. I think the older ones are bored out larger and polished. I would like to know if there is a difference in the performance of the two, or if it is just cosmetic.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007
MACH I Member

I bought the "economy" version for $130. The Steeda ones for $300 are bigger. There was a huge discussion on how that would affect performance, but it was a bit over my head at the time. I still think they are a good mod for the price.

2005 Sonic Blue GT
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

I did before and after dynos over two years ago. We could not meassure that low but the gain from 4,000 RPM and up was noticeble, over 10 RWHP! Peak was again not much, six RWHP if I remember correctly.

I remember no noticible lull from driving, no extra reving of the line and definately no bog in the register!

If there is a bog at 3,600 it's something else. The low end TQ loss we talk about is under 2,200 RPM when the stockers open fully as well!

A custome tune is what you need!

Oh and I have the large shiny ones. $180 from SHMS back when. They were too small for my ported heads so I had to open them up... unfortionately I could not open the manifold up to match...

KJ, poorer but happier

Thanks to:
Modular Depot
Fox Lake Racing
Tunable Induction
Power House 411
Sun Coast Creations
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to pkstanger
What tuner are you using?
We've only heard that complaint with the Predator program.
You will pick up more low and mid-range torque than peak horsepower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page