Please Help With Engine Diagnosis; Sputtering, Oily Plugs, can't hold idle or A/F - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

Please Help With Engine Diagnosis; Sputtering, Oily Plugs, can't hold idle or A/F

Last week I changed my spark plugs. To do this with a Kenne Bell supercharger it's must easier to reach the #4 plug if you take the intake tube and throttle body off. This requires disconnecting the throttle position sensor and the actuator connectors. I changed the plugs, put everything back together and drove off to go shopping. It ran like a champ, just like you'd expect with new plugs. I drove about 60 miles, came home and parked.

The next moring the car would barely start. And when it did it was sputtering and unable to hold it's idle and air/fuel ratio. It would start out at 14.7 at idle and slowly dip down to off the scale, below 10:1. It would recover, go lean and start the process all over, the whole time unable to hold a steady idle. When I tried giving any gas it would sputter badly.

Today I took out a spark plug to look at it and it was completely covered from the tip to the threads in an oily goo that smelled like gas. It took the rest out and they are the same, all covered in oily gas goo. This is after only 60 miles on new plugs.

Why did my car suddenly stop working? My first thought was that a MAF sensor or O2 sensor has gone bad. I data logged the MAF and it seems to be working although it's hard to tell since the car runs horribly if at all. But I could see it's voltage rising as I added throttle. I have not checked the O2 sensor yet, I though I'd just get a new one.

Does anyone have any ideas what has happened to my baby? What sensor having to do with A/F can just stop working. Is that theory even sound?

2005 Mustang GT with 300 ci 04 Cobra iron block, Kenne Bell 2.6l twin screw, P&P S3 Heads, SS valves, Comp S3 cams, Currie 9+ 9" rear end and DS, Hurst shifter, BMR K-member, A-arms, LCAs & UCA, JBA long tubes & mid-pipe, Accel COPs, Dual GT500 fuel pumps, much more...
670 RWHP, 640Tq @ 16 psi & 6400 RPM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
I'm going to need to think about this one for awhile.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007
Classic Member
S197 Member

Couple of possibilities.Oil might be getting past the rings or valve guides, though I doubt you'd see this overnight like you did. Plus you haven't recently had any major internal engine work done. Another possibility, and far less expensive, is you might just have a plugged PCV valve.

1965 Mustang Coupe

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5twenty View Post
Why did my car suddenly stop working? My first thought was that a MAF sensor or O2 sensor has gone bad.
Pull the MAF sensor and give it a good spray with brake cleaner. Spray the little hole real good. Make sure it's completely dried before you try to start the car.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007
Classic Member
S197 Member

Another thought... Could the KB be leaking internally into the intake?? Just thinking out loud.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

Mark, those are all great suggestions that I will look into:

Where is the PCV valve?

I don't think the substance is oil as is smells very strongly of gas.

I will check the MAF tonight. Got to get the bumper cover off to get to it.

KB, like you, says to check air intake leaks and vacuum leaks. I don't think that is the issue.

2005 Mustang GT with 300 ci 04 Cobra iron block, Kenne Bell 2.6l twin screw, P&P S3 Heads, SS valves, Comp S3 cams, Currie 9+ 9" rear end and DS, Hurst shifter, BMR K-member, A-arms, LCAs & UCA, JBA long tubes & mid-pipe, Accel COPs, Dual GT500 fuel pumps, much more...
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007
Classic Member
S197 Member

Dan, the PCV valve is integrated in the driver-side valve cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PCV.gif
Views:	130
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	29201   Click image for larger version

Name:	PCV2.gif
Views:	65
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	29202  

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
Dan, the PCV valve is integrated in the driver-side valve cover.
That went away with the S/C. The nipple now connects to an oil serarator then to the back of the S/C.

post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

From the work shop manual.

The HO2S (heated oxygen sensors) give input to control the flow of fuel. When my A/F dipped down it wasn't controlling fuel flow well, which may have gummed up the plugs.

My small pea brain still thinks it's about the O2 sensors or maybe MAF in some way.

Classic Member
S197 Member

Is it the plugs in both banks?

1965 Mustang Coupe
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
That went away with the S/C. The nipple now connects to an oil serarator then to the back of the S/C.
Ah, that's right, my bad...

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Is it the plugs in both banks?
goo x 8.....all of 'em.

That fact does seem to throw suspicion away from O2 sensors since there is one for each bank.

Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
goo x 8.....all of 'em.

That fact does seem to throw suspicion away from O2 sensors since there is one for each bank.
I guess it could be the tune??? You sure the A/F readings you got are accurate?

A possible solution could be running a hotter plug but I don't think that's the best idea.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
I guess it could be the tune??? You sure the A/F readings you got are accurate?

A possible solution could be running a hotter plug but I don't think that's the best idea.
I reflashed. But this is GO/NO Go overnight. Something snapped.

Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
I reflashed. But this is GO/NO Go overnight. Something snapped.
What do you mean something snapped??

1965 Mustang Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page