MAC Cat Back Exhaust on 2005 Mustang. How is the sound? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rookie

I have learned that sound clips are pretty much useless as an aide to making a purchase decision. Once you install them, they invariably sound nothing like what you thought they would, and certainly not like anything in the clip. It's like trying to decide on whether or not to go visit the grand canyon based on a cell phone camera image.

1969 Mustang Mach 1, 351 Cleveland, Yellow w/flat black pinned hood

2006 Mustang GT 4.6, Redfire, Charcoal leather, Tri-Ax, Pypes SFM-66 Mid-Muffler system, Valvoline PowerSyn 5W-30.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Coyote, Sterling Gray Metallic, dead stock for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member
S197 Member

Yeah that's pretty much true, but jet's audio is pretty close to what they sound like (very good videos jet). The sound files I've heard tend to not show the bass as much as in person. But, the clips can still be useful for comparison sake.
What I looked for when I was listening to sound clips while making my choice was not just how much bass the muffs put out at idle, but how deep they sound revved up (I think how they sound revved up is critical if you want to sound like a big block under power). For example, listen to jet's car then listen to a magna sound file when they rev it up...the magnas are only slighty quieter at idle, but the MACs are much louder at WOT...and it sounds even louder in person...the MACs sound bad a$$! It's probably because the Magnas are straight thru muffs...also, they don't tell you this, but the straight thru muffs actually decrease their diameter a little inside the muff before the exit. This helps create a slight amount of pressure and turbulence to push the exhaust into the little holes on the sides of the pipe inside the muffler to muffle the sound. I think that design also knocks down a little more bass than the chambered type as well as the high notes...that's why a chambered muff has more bass (and sounds better with an H pipe) but why straight thru muffs sound better with an X pipe (not as raspy).
You also have to consider how much drone you can tolerate. MACs do drone. The more bass a muffler puts out at idle, the louder that drone frequency will be at 1800 to 2000 rpms...it's the price we pay for trying to sound like a big block with 281 cubes. I would still rather have chambered mufflers than straight thru since I like it loud, but it's not for everybody. If you can stand the drone, the MACs are nice and deep, loud at WOT and look cool too. Lifetime warranty too I believe. If you don't want drone at all you will want straight thru muffs or Borlas or Corsas. The choice is almost endless on these things, but research your butt off and you will find what you want.

06 Stang GT, Yeah I got stuff! Check out my profile for the low down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page