kicker 8 inch door replacement subs worth the money? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

kicker 8 inch door replacement subs worth the money?

bought my gt with them blown Compared to the stock door subs do these have more/less bass? Are they worth the 150?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015
PONY Member

Garage
I think they are worth it but would work better with some additional amplification unless you're also going to install a trunk sub. Alone they are not as loud as the OEM door subs but they sound tighter and clearer when turned up.

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2013 GT Premium Brembo
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
The Door Subs are 1.2 Ohm 60w. If you can find some 2 ohm low profile Subs, they might work, but they will play at a lower volume. I believe there is one company that sell an replacement upgrade, but I can't remember the company.

Airaid Race CAI and SF3 Tuner with 93 Race Tune; Ford Racing GT500 Throttle Body Kit; Zex Nitrous Kit (100 shot); Steeda Billet Charge Motion Delete Plates; JTL Oil Separator; J&M Pan-Hard Bar, Lower Control Arms and Adjustable Upper Control Arm; BMR Lowering Springs and Relocation Brackets; Strange Shocks and Struts; GT500 Strut Mounts; Motive 3.90 Gears; Mac Long Tube Headers with Pro Chamber Mid-Pipe and Boom Tubes; Pypes Ceramic Cats; O2 Sensor Raiser Non Foulers.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...lifiers-3.html

Here is a link to another discussion.

Airaid Race CAI and SF3 Tuner with 93 Race Tune; Ford Racing GT500 Throttle Body Kit; Zex Nitrous Kit (100 shot); Steeda Billet Charge Motion Delete Plates; JTL Oil Separator; J&M Pan-Hard Bar, Lower Control Arms and Adjustable Upper Control Arm; BMR Lowering Springs and Relocation Brackets; Strange Shocks and Struts; GT500 Strut Mounts; Motive 3.90 Gears; Mac Long Tube Headers with Pro Chamber Mid-Pipe and Boom Tubes; Pypes Ceramic Cats; O2 Sensor Raiser Non Foulers.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

To answer my own question no there not worth it at all 1st of all I paid 50$ for over night shipping witch then came a week later but that has nothing to do with the speakers so for 150 they sound like any other car stock system little to no bass they do not sound like sub's at all I would say there close to 69 good speakers but not an upgrade at all
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015
PONY Member

Garage
Try turning your bass EQ up. I thought they sounded pretty good that way, thumped hard enough to vibrate the side mirrors! The boomy, rumbly, indistinct sound was cured. Of course I had also updated the 6x9s at the same time.

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2013 GT Premium Brembo
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015
PONY Member

Well, anything's better than a blown speaker...

What's your budget? Kickers are okay but they're in the budget (cheap) bracket.

Also be aware that the amps aren't great. They do good for the stock speakers and units with similar specs. If you want good sound and put in good speakers, you're gonna need to do other upgrades.

But, again, if your speakers are blown, just replacing them with anything will be good. Either pick up some factory replacements on the cheap, or have a look at what Crutchfield recommends.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015
GT Member
2.3L Member
S197 Member

Garage
also the stockers are dual voice coil 1.2 ohm. getting a dual voice coil 2ohm shallow mount 8" sub should do the trick. good luck.

Lots of bolt on goodies...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

OP already got the kickers . . .

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
Rookie

I've put them in with an aftermarket HU (F90BT)... THEY SOUND AMAZING!!
That also may have to do with me dynamatting though - maybe all you need is to silence and "toughen up" their box (the door)...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	286852d1400340777-w212-door-panel-removal-sound-deadened-speakers-replaced-combined-pic-mustang-.jpg
Views:	1541
Size:	700.1 KB
ID:	433937  

Woodlander

2006 Mustang GT Convertible
Vista Blue
Rookie

I had that post up on another forum I'm in... Hence the weird title...
That was about 1/2 way through

Woodlander

2006 Mustang GT Convertible
Vista Blue
Apprentice

I have had the kicker 8's for awhile. I use them as mid-bass speakers driven by a JL 200/2 amp. They work great and no crazy fitment issues.

2009 GT , Brenspeed B326, Stage 1 heads, E-Force - 633 rwhp / 623 rwtq

2016 Ecoboost Premium, Bama Tune, JLT CAI, CPE Charge pipes, Mishimoto Intercooler, Tial BOV, Turbosmart 10psi Wastegate Actuator, 3" Downpipe, JMS Boostmax & Pedalmax, FRPP Borla Touring Axlebacks
PONY Member

With a after market head unit they are great! With the shaker 500 not so much, probably not worth the bucks.....A new head unit will allow you so many more adjustments, and you can make them rock!

2008 GT Premium, MagnaCharger TVS 1900, Brembo Brakes, Whiteline Watts Link, Koni Yellows, Steeda Sport Springs,
J&M Extreme LCA, BMR Relo Brackets, FR500S Axlebacks, TCI Shifter
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

I'm such a dummy I went back in to replace my 6x8s today and noticed I didn't have the speakers hooked up at all but yea the sound pretty good a huge difference then before
PONY Member

Hey, only two months wo speakers hooked up You must be lovin it now. What head unit do you have?

2008 GT Premium, MagnaCharger TVS 1900, Brembo Brakes, Whiteline Watts Link, Koni Yellows, Steeda Sport Springs,
J&M Extreme LCA, BMR Relo Brackets, FR500S Axlebacks, TCI Shifter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page