worth the effort? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

worth the effort?

I read a post on here about cold air intakes and someone had said that they drilled out the honeycomb stock grill so that all of them allowed air flow through to the engine bay. I would just like to get opinions on whether or not it would be worth my effort to drill all of the holes out to keep the air cooler in my engine bay. Would it make much of a difference?

2005 GT Redfire, red leather, interior upgrade package, shaker 1000,FRPP hot rod cams, JLT 2 CAI 91 octane tune, MAC axlebacks,BBK longtube headers and hi flow cats, eibach prolines, ford racing strut brace, 20" chrome eagle rims CDC classic chin spoiler, FRPP 4:10 gears, MGW shifter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

The radiator is blocking most of the air coming in.I'm trying to configure a flange that you could fasten a 3 to 4 " hose to, right in the factory hole for the stock airbox. Drop it down to a small scoop to bring in fresh air from just outside the drivers fender,maybe route the hose just below the bumper cover..Kind of like they did with 68'442's.Even the Olds 68' 350 S coupe had a similar forced air induction set up like the 442..

98'GT Rio Red
Loaded opts. from the factory
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007
S197 Member

Hi, I built a system for myself. I used 6 washing machine hoses! Due to the amount of factory plumbing, there is no space for a large diameter hose between the valance and the airbox; hence the six washing machine hoses! The best way I could see for getting cool air into the airbox and on to spray the filter (I have a C&L CAI) was via the lower driver side valance; there is a handily placed honeycomb on either side of the lower valance, I chose the drivers side. Basically, I cut 6 holes into the honeycomb, fixed the hose(s) in place and ran them up into the airbox, I then used cable ties to hold them in the airbox and for added whizz so they sprayed air into all areas of the box. I then added a fine mesh over the holes and painted the mesh in 'valance black'.

I have no idea if it makes a real difference but it certainly wont hurt. Intake for my car5 is a C&L CAI, homemade ram air, CMCV delete and a Steeda spacer. The car seems to breather pretty well and revs nicely.

Hope this helps.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007
Apprentice

Could you snap some Pics of how you did it?

Steve
"Taillights in Your Face Jack? You've just been Dominated!"

Current Stangs: 85 Black T-Top Dominator GT
Previously owned: 83 Dominator GT - 07 Mustang GT - 85 Dominator GT RIP - 85 Predator GT - 82 Mustang GT

Wishing I still had all of Them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page