Other (Please comment which below.) 4 25.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member
2.3L Member
S197 Member

Garage
that's good to know about Brenspeed and updating existing tunes if you purchase items from them. im extremely happy I have their tunes, yet haven't had a reason to update said tunes. had I have known about the tunes for life from Steeda, I would have went that route. I want to also say that I came from a 93 lx 2.3 5speed when I was originally looking for a 01 to 04 cobra. I did a lot of reading and found an 01 but the deal fell thru at the dealership. went driving around and found my 05gt fairly close. wasn't looking for one mind you. I went and test drove it and fell in love with it. 33.xxx miles and in great shape. I was a complete noob when it came to the 05-09 cars. The first thing I did was add the s197 forums to my bookmark. from there I did a lot of reading and changed the plugs (what a PITA that was) next was a used SCT tuner then Steeda CAI (from Steeda) then DIY CMDP. finally Brenspeed 87.91,93.

Lots of bolt on goodies...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

MustangLife,

So are you more confused or did the comments in this thread help?

I joined this thread because just about the time I thought I knew which tune I wanted to go with (once I save up for the tuner) I would then read something that swayed me another direction…..LOL.

On a personal note, I was leaning towards getting a tuner from a vender that offered "Tunes for life" without any restrictions on where I bought the parts from.

I no longer feel that way for a couple reasons.

1). I'll most likely buy a package. X4 Tuner, JLT Series-3 CAI, etc….

If I don't do #2 below then there should be no reason to retune the car at that point.

2). If I can ever save up enough to put a blower on my car I'll have the car tuned locally on a dyno and any issues that come up can be dealt with locally.

Not sure if any of that helps. But after reading all the comments in this thread I don't consider the "tunes for life" offerings to be a deciding factor in my purchase anymore.

Good luck with your decision,

Jon…

2006 GT Coupe (auto / stock 3:31 gears), Eibach Pro-Kit springs, 20" wheels, Steeda CAI and tune.
post #18 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015 Thread Starter
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
MustangLife,

So are you more confused or did the comments in this thread help?

I joined this thread because just about the time I thought I knew which tune I wanted to go with (once I save up for the tuner) I would then read something that swayed me another direction…..LOL.

On a personal note, I was leaning towards getting a tuner from a vender that offered "Tunes for life" without any restrictions on where I bought the parts from.

I no longer feel that way for a couple reasons.

1). I'll most likely buy a package. X4 Tuner, JLT Series-3 CAI, etc….

If I don't do #2 below then there should be no reason to retune the car at that point.

2). If I can ever save up enough to put a blower on my car I'll have the car tuned locally on a dyno and any issues that come up can be dealt with locally.

Not sure if any of that helps. But after reading all the comments in this thread I don't consider the "tunes for life" offerings to be a deciding factor in my purchase anymore.

Good luck with your decision,

Jon…

Jon,

Funny you ask as I am sitting here thinking and wondering on what I am going to do. Before I created this thread I was pretty set on Bama and purchasing from AM, but I was reading through the forums just before purchasing (like I normally do as I research on here about the part I am purchasing) and seeing a lot of people talking about Brenspeed. So I did some research on them and found that Brenspeed unlike AM/Bama doesn't offer tunes for life unless you purchase parts from them. That would require me to change purchase sites as I currently use AM. So in short thats why I decided to post a thread about it to get peoples thoughts. I honestly figured there would be a lot more people weighing in on it then there has been. Not a lot of people talking about Brenspeed or Bama as more are talking about Steeda; one I didn't know/consider before this thread.

So while I am undecided I am currently leaning towards Steeda now actually. The main thing holding me up is people talking about the small issues like the fan running more.

What are you thinking since you are in my situation. What tuner are you leaning towards?

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)

Apprentice

MustangLife,

Right now it's a 60/40 toss up between Brenspeed and Steeda respectivly. I too am wondering about the fan speed and figured I would call/email and ask about it. For all I know there is a valid reason for it.

Both companies offer the X4 tuner with CAI as a package. Brenspeed offers the JLT CAI series 3, Steeda offer their own design of CAI.

Here is the catch for me and why I'm split between Brenspeed and Steeda. The inlet design (where the filter attatches) on the Steeda CAI looks better on paper but the JLT seems to be the recommended one to buy when reading forums. Brenspeed offers the JLT, Steeda does not.

Edit: I have no idea why JLT seems to be preferred on the forums.

You can read more about Steeda's CAI here…
Why Steeda Cold Air Intakes Blow Away The ?Competition? | Steeda Blog

Regarding having to change who you order from…… I suspect that Brenspeed, or Steeda for that matter, would not have an issue if you purchased a tuner from them and already had other parts that you did not get from them.

Example: You receive a CAI as a gift and need to purchase a tuner before you can install the CAI.

It would be poor customer service to charge extra for the tune if you want to buy the SCT-X4 from them knowing that they could loose the current, and possibily future, sale(s).

Now if you want more than one tune like 87 and 91/93 octane tune then I think only AM (Bama) offers that feature without charging extra.

Speaking of AM/Bama... it may sound silly but it bothers me that AM/Bama rebrands the SCT-X4 with the Bama logo when you buy the SCT w/Bama tunes. It makes me wonder what else, if anything, they may have changed.

Sorry, I have a tendency to ramble….LOL.

I don't think you would go wrong with either Brenspeed or Steeda. And if you are planning on getting a CAI with the tuner, going with what they sell makes sense since they should know how to tune correctly for it.

Jon…

2006 GT Coupe (auto / stock 3:31 gears), Eibach Pro-Kit springs, 20" wheels, Steeda CAI and tune.
post #20 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015 Thread Starter
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
MustangLife,

Right now it's a 60/40 toss up between Brenspeed and Steeda respectivly. I too am wondering about the fan speed and figured I would call/email and ask about it. For all I know there is a valid reason for it.

Both companies offer the X4 tuner with CAI as a package. Brenspeed offers the JLT CAI series 3, Steeda offer their own design of CAI.

Here is the catch for me and why I'm split between Brenspeed and Steeda. The inlet design (where the filter attatches) on the Steeda CAI looks better on paper but the JLT seems to be the recommended one to buy when reading forums. Brenspeed offers the JLT, Steeda does not. But it could be that JLT has done a better marketing job ???

You can read more about Steeda's CAI here…
Why Steeda Cold Air Intakes Blow Away The ?Competition? | Steeda Blog

Regarding having to change who you order from…… I suspect that Brenspeed, or Steeda for that matter, would not have an issue if you purchased a tuner from them and already had other parts that you did not get from them.

Example: You receive a CAI as a gift and need to purchase a tuner before you can install the CAI.

It would be poor customer service to charge extra for the tune if you want to buy the SCT-X4 from them knowing that they could loose the current, and possibily future, sale(s).

Now if you want more than one tune like 87 and 91/93 octane tune then I think only AM (Bama) offers that feature without charging extra.

Speaking of AM/Bama... it may sound silly but it bothers me that AM/Bama rebrands the SCT-X4 with the Bama logo when you buy the SCT w/Bama tunes. It makes me wonder what else, if anything, they may have changed.

Sorry, I have a tendency to ramble….LOL.

I don't think you would go wrong with either Brenspeed or Steeda. And if you are planning on getting a CAI with the tuner, going with what they sell makes sense since they should know how to tune correctly for it.

Jon…

"I too am wondering about the fan speed and figured I would call/email and ask about it. For all I know there is a valid reason for it."

If you call/email them post back with what you find out.

"Now if you want more than one tune like 87 and 91/93 octane tune then I think only AM (Bama) offers that feature without charging extra."

Yeah I am wanting multiple tunes for when gas prices are really different. For instance last week 93 was almost $1 more per gallon than 87 for some reason at some of my local gas stations. Most of the time you see 93 being about .40 - .50 cents more per gallon and I can justify that but not .75 cents or more per gallon.

"Speaking of AM/Bama... it may sound silly but it bothers me that AM/Bama rebrands the SCT-X4 with the Bama logo when you buy the SCT w/Bama tunes. It makes me wonder what else, if anything, they may have changed."

Yeah I mean I am sure they have permission to from SCT. So that doesn't really bother me. Although on that I have wondered just how different the tunes themselves really are from different places: AM/Bama, Brenspeed, Steeda, and etc...

Don't worry about rambling I am glad somebody is providing opinions. Like I said I am really surprised this thread isn't really active. It has a lot of views, but not a lot of different people posting. Only reason I can think is people don't want to say they support one in particular and then other vendors see and what not... idk just thinking.

Yeah I am really torn between the 3 in discussion almost equal currently which doesn't help that I added another to the 2 I was already torn between. haha

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
Apprentice

I just sent a PM to [email protected] asking about the fan staying on. So hopefully we will have an answer to that question shortly.

WOW that's a big spread between 87 and 93! We only have 91 in my area and I've never seen it that far apart. For what it's worth, the impression I get is most people end up using the higher octane tune (HP is addictive).

Not a lot of replies can be a good thing sometimes. The thread has stayed pretty much on topic which makes it easier to digest the info that has been posted.

Now if this had been an oil thread……..LOL.

Jon…

Last edited by Jon_PDX; 06-16-2015 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Removed some incorrect info so nobody would be misled and hurt their motor
post #22 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015 Thread Starter
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
I just sent a PM to [email protected] asking about the fan staying on. So hopefully we will have an answer to that question shortly.

WOW that's a big spread between 87 and 93! We only have 91 in my area and I've never seen it that far apart. For what it's worth, the impression I get is most people end up using the higher octane tune (HP is addictive). And I think it does not hurt anything to run 87 with a 91/93 tune. Although it may not be as efficient as using 87 with an 87 tune. But I could be wrong about that last part.

Not a lot of replies can be a good thing sometimes. The thread has stayed pretty much on topic which makes it easier to digest the info that has been posted.

Jon…

Yeah when I saw the difference I was shocked to say the least. Seemed to be different at different local stations... Odd...

Anyway idk about the 93 tune using 87. I have read a lot of people say that is a big no no and can damage engine. A lot of people say they have experienced tick or pinging when doing this. So I wouldn't want to do that. I do agree I will be like others and use the 93 majority of the time as you stated HP and full performance is additive. However for a long HWY trip or if gas prices surge it would be nice to be able to easily go back to 87 for a short time.

I know what you mean. Certain topics seem to draw a lot of talk. With 450+ views I figured this one would have more posts. Also over the topic it is very opinionated and figured it would be a good thread for new people and figured a lot of people and good info would appear. Very surprised we haven't heard form a AM/Bama or Brenspeed rep like we did from Steeda.

Let me know what you hear back from Steeda.

Current Garage
2018 Honda Civic Type R
tj
PONY Member

Quote:

WOW that's a big spread between 87 and 93! We only have 91 in my area and I've never seen it that far apart. For what it's worth, the impression I get is most people end up using the higher octane tune (HP is addictive). And I think it does not hurt anything to run 87 with a 91/93 tune. Although it may not be as efficient as using 87 with an 87 tune. But I could be wrong about that last part.

Jon…
Hello Jon,

Let me start with the question about the tunes. When you order from Steeda ... we can write your tune with up to 3 octane levels. When you fill out our questionnaire, you will have to indicate which octane levels you would like. Most of our customers just order the highest octane since they won't run a lower octane.

Best Regards,

TJ
Jon_PDX likes this.
post #24 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015 Thread Starter
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hello Jon,

Let me start with the question about the tunes. When you order from Steeda ... we can write your tune with up to 3 octane levels. When you fill out our questionnaire, you will have to indicate which octane levels you would like. Most of our customers just order the highest octane since they won't run a lower octane.

Best Regards,

TJ
Great to know about different octane levels. I was thinking I had seen somewhere Steeda would do at least 2.

Any info on the fan question he noted and others mentioned?

Current Garage
2018 Honda Civic Type R
tj
PONY Member

Regarding the fan:

It is not an issue, it is designed that way. It is part of the tune, we have the tune set up to turn the fans on sooner and keep engine temps down, which in turn preserves horsepower also, the added cooling allows our tuners to add a slight bit more timing over stock settings.

In short ... the cooler the motor, the more power it will make ... the more power it makes ... the more heat that is created.

So we have the fans come on sooner and stay on longer.

Hope that helps!

Best Regards,

TJ
Jon_PDX likes this.
Apprentice

TJ,

Thanks for taking the time to reply regarding the fan and tunes.

Jon...
MustangLife likes this.

tj
PONY Member

My pleasure ... happy to help.

Let me know if you ever need anything ... you can reach me at [email protected] for questions & forum pricing.

Best Regards,

TJ
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangLife
Anyway idk about the 93 tune using 87. I have read a lot of people say that is a big no no and can damage engine.

Yes indeed it IS a big no no. By all means run 91 or 93 octane fuel on an 87 octane tune but NEVER the other way round.

2006 GT Deluxe - 5MT - 12.50 @ 109.61
314rwhp 330rwtq with basic bolt-ons
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangLife View Post
. . . . Anyway idk about the 93 tune using 87. I have read a lot of people say that is a big no no and can damage engine. A lot of people say they have experienced tick or pinging when doing this. . . . .
This is important: DO NOT run a 93 octane tune on 87 octane gas.

One of the main differences in those tunes, is that the 93 octane tune runs more spark advance, to take advantage of the detonation resistance of the 93 octane gas. You can't run that much spark advance with 87, because it will ping (aka knock or detonation, all basically the same thing and all bad) . . . . and it will also somewhat defeat the knock sensors that are there to protect the engine from pinging.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #30 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015 Thread Starter
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt95 View Post
Yes indeed it IS a big no no. By all means run 91 or 93 octane fuel on an 87 octane tune but NEVER the other way round.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
This is important: DO NOT run a 93 octane tune on 87 octane gas.

One of the main differences in those tunes, is that the 93 octane tune runs more spark advance, to take advantage of the detonation resistance of the 93 octane gas. You can't run that much spark advance with 87, because it will ping (aka knock or detonation, all basically the same thing and all bad) . . . . and it will also somewhat defeat the knock sensors that are there to protect the engine from pinging.

I couldn't agree more with you all.

Current Garage
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page