LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015 Thread Starter
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Bama vs. Brenspeed Tunes

What do you prefer and why? Bama, Brenspeed, or other?

Reading through the threads and hearing Bama and Brenspeed seem to be the top two tunes for our Mustangs.

Also reading through all the threads I didn't find a thread directly comparing or giving opinions on best it was always about one or the other.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015
tj
PONY Member

And there is Steeda too. For example, here is one of our tuners James:

James G.
Lead Tuner and Calibrator

James has over 15 years of experience professionally tuning Fords - mainly the Mustang, Focus, Fusion and F-series. He was previously employed by SCT and trained many of their top tuners! James takes pride in providing quality, conservative tunes that you will feel confident in loading onto your daily driver. Reliability while providing tremendous gains are at the core of our tuning values.

Here are just some reviews on our tunes:

Quote:
KUDOS TO STEEDA
I continue to be impressed by Steeda.

My requests for tune revisions are completed in 24 hours and more importantly, the tunes themselves are the gold standard.

I picked Steeda for it's reputation and I now know that reputation is well deserved.

I hope you take it for the complement it is when I tell you the throttle response and modulation is BMW-like. I have tried other tunes and without fail come back to Steeda because the throttle is perfect.
- See more at: SCT X4 Mustang Tuner w/ Steeda Certified Tunes 388-7015 | Free Shipping!

GET THIS MOD
Guys, do yourselves a favor and order this tuner - especially if you're stock and plan on adding other mods in the future. Steeda loads your custom tunes on the tuner before they ship it out to you, so you're ready to go once you get it.
- See more at: SCT X4 Mustang Tuner w/ Steeda Certified Tunes 388-7015 | Free Shipping!
I am happy to help if you any additional questions ... feel free to do a search on Steeda tunes ... you will not be disappointed.

Best Regards,

TJ

post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015
GT Member
2.3L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I LOVE my Brenspeed tunes. I can switch between the octanes and have no troubles whatsoever. I will say this and I just looked, Bama has tunes for life for 150. Steeda (who I purchased my CAI from directly) has tunes for life for 150. (wish I would have known that before). Brenspeed will write 3 custom tunes for 145, NA (naturally aspirated). to each their own of course, I would have liked to have the option to change my tune down the road if I add more bolt ons and what not. just my .02.

Lots of bolt on goodies...

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015 Thread Starter
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
And there is Steeda too. For example, here is one of our tuners James:

James G.
Lead Tuner and Calibrator

James has over 15 years of experience professionally tuning Fords - mainly the Mustang, Focus, Fusion and F-series. He was previously employed by SCT and trained many of their top tuners! James takes pride in providing quality, conservative tunes that you will feel confident in loading onto your daily driver. Reliability while providing tremendous gains are at the core of our tuning values.

Here are just some reviews on our tunes:

I am happy to help if you any additional questions ... feel free to do a search on Steeda tunes ... you will not be disappointed.

Best Regards,

TJ
About to buy a Steeda intake here soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl817 View Post
I LOVE my Brenspeed tunes. I can switch between the octanes and have no troubles whatsoever. I will say this and I just looked, Bama has tunes for life for 150. Steeda (who I purchased my CAI from directly) has tunes for life for 150. (wish I would have known that before). Brenspeed will write 3 custom tunes for 145, NA (naturally aspirated). to each their own of course, I would have liked to have the option to change my tune down the road if I add more bolt ons and what not. just my .02.
So who are you saying you wish you had bought Brenspeed or one of the others you listed? Sounds like you are saying Steeda.

Also to side-note the Bama tunes for life comes at no additional cost when you purchase a tuner from AM. The tuners are the same price on AM as they are Steeda. So Steeda tuner and tunes for life runs a $150 more. (Lowest price is not 100% what I am after just FYI. I am looking for the best, safest, highest gains, and bang for buck.)

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangLife View Post
Also to side-note the Bama tunes for life comes at no additional cost when you purchase a tuner from AM. The tuners are the same price on AM as they are Steeda. So Steeda tuner and tunes for life runs a $150 more. (Lowest price is not 100% what I am after just FYI. I am looking for the best, safest, highest gains, and bang for buck.)
FYI I was curious about the "tunes for life" and just checked Steeda's site and the X4 Tuner does include free tunes for life just like AM does with the purchase of the X4/Bama branded tuner. So there is no additional cost from Steeda either.

Also I could not find anything in the fine print about requiring products to be purchased from Steeda, or AM, like Brenspeed requires if you update your car with parts bought from someone else and need a re-tune.

Jon...
tj likes this.

2006 GT Coupe (auto / stock 3:31 gears), Eibach Pro-Kit springs, 20" wheels, Steeda CAI and tune.
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

I'll only add, get an SCT tuner. It is the standard for most SC tunes it seems. "Tunes For Life" ends with a power adder...

'95 Ranger 5.0 GT40X Tri-y GT40 Intake S-Trim Snow Stage 2 Lowered Baer Racing Brakes Viper Spec Tremec w/Hurst shifter Custom Interior Dakota Digital Dash Corbeau Toplines OZ Racing AM/FM/Mp3/CD/DVD/TV.

2014 GTIG 5.0 Vert Base. Sil Carb Fiber dash. Bama Race Tune. Gibson axle backs. STEEDA Springs KONI STR.T Adj. Panhard. Dynamatted. Audiocontrol LC8i Amps and Sub! Leather OEM seats. Custom Badging.
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015 Thread Starter
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
FYI I was curious about the "tunes for life" and just checked Steeda's site and the X4 Tuner does include free tunes for life just like AM does with the purchase of the X4/Bama branded tuner. So there is no additional cost from Steeda either.

Also I could not find anything in the fine print about requiring products to be purchased from Steeda, or AM, like Brenspeed requires if you update your car with parts bought from someone else and need a re-tune.

Jon...
I stand corrected I missed that. Steeda does offer "tunes for life".

Brenspeed seems to be the one that doesn't. Also what are you saying about Brenspeed and buying products from someone else? I haven't read anything about this issue?

Current Garage
2018 Honda Civic Type R
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015
Apprentice

Uploaded Steeda tune to my 12 today, all I had to do was buy the tuner, fill out a tune form, they wrote my 2 tunes, 91 and 93, boom, done, I got a brand new pony. Didn't have to buy anything else I didn't want to. Support is top notch too.
tj likes this.

2008 California Special: Boss 302 stroker, KB huffer, driveline, fuel, electronics, suspension, chassis, some outdoor pretty parts, Boss 338's i.e. nothing really left that's stock. Meth injection under construction. Tuned by Chris Tuten at The Muffler Shop.
2012 California Special (DD): Minor modding, just looking for sound, throttle response, and handling from this one, nothing fancy. Tuned by Steeda.
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooticusMaximus View Post
Uploaded Steeda tune to my 12 today, all I had to do was buy the tuner, fill out a tune form, they wrote my 2 tunes, 91 and 93, boom, done, I got a brand new pony. Didn't have to buy anything else I didn't want to. Support is top notch too.
I did the exact same thing a few weeks ago purchased the 91 and 93 performance tune from Steeda and could not be happier. Now running the 93 and really enjoying the car. Steeda seems to have there stuff together. I even called with several questions and they answered them right away. One question I was on hold for less then five minutes and the guy on the other end had my answer. Yes maybe there are tunes that will give you 3 or 6 more HP but Steeda tunes are safe and reliable.
tj likes this.
PONY Member

I had Steeda tunes for my '09 and switched to one of the others for various reasons. My biggest dislike about Steeda's tune for my car was the fact that they run the radiator fan almost constantly when the engine warmed up. Hearing that all the time was more than I wanted. When shopping for a tune package, don't be swayed by price or the number of free tunes.

2009 GT Premium Black on Black 5MT
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangLife View Post
I stand corrected I missed that. Steeda does offer "tunes for life".

Brenspeed seems to be the one that doesn't. Also what are you saying about Brenspeed and buying products from someone else? I haven't read anything about this issue?
It gets confusing when looking at all the different offerings from different companies.

Regarding Brenspeed, and their tunes. I've read good things about them and would not rule them out. But the following on their site did put me off.....

"We keep your custom tune on file so if you ever purchase more performance parts from Brenspeed you can request your current tune be modified free of charge. The free tune revisions are for new parts purchased from Brenspeed. We stock a wide variety of parts that are Brenspeed tuning approved. With a wide variety of parts on the market that are not tune friendly we suggest you speak with our technical sales team before you invest in headers, nitrous, superchargers, turbo’s, throttle body’s, and camshafts."

With that said, it appears if you buy a tuner from them they do include a free tune with it and will adjust the tune as long as you meet the above requirements by purchasing the products from them. If you want more than one tune then there would be an extra charge.

Jon...

2006 GT Coupe (auto / stock 3:31 gears), Eibach Pro-Kit springs, 20" wheels, Steeda CAI and tune.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by roegs View Post
..........When shopping for a tune package, don't be swayed by price or the number of free tunes.
That's a valid point because in the end if you're not happy with the tune, the cost (free or otherwise) was not worth it.

Jon...

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by roegs View Post
I had Steeda tunes for my '09 and switched to one of the others for various reasons. My biggest dislike about Steeda's tune for my car was the fact that they run the radiator fan almost constantly when the engine warmed up. Hearing that all the time was more than I wanted. When shopping for a tune package, don't be swayed by price or the number of free tunes.
Yes I have noticed that my fan is on more often frankly it does not bother me. I actually feel more comfortable with the extra margin of safety knowing the engine is keeping cool. I can see where it would bother some people some people don't like that extra noise.
tj likes this.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral View Post
Yes I have noticed that my fan is on more often frankly it does not bother me. I actually feel more comfortable with the extra margin of safety knowing the engine is keeping cool. I can see where it would bother some people some people don't like that extra noise.
Lol, I noticed that yesterday...doesn't really bother me either. To each their own...

2008 California Special: Boss 302 stroker, KB huffer, driveline, fuel, electronics, suspension, chassis, some outdoor pretty parts, Boss 338's i.e. nothing really left that's stock. Meth injection under construction. Tuned by Chris Tuten at The Muffler Shop.
2012 California Special (DD): Minor modding, just looking for sound, throttle response, and handling from this one, nothing fancy. Tuned by Steeda.
GT Member

I've been running Brenspeed tunes for over 40,000 miles now, and they are spot on (even a local dyno tuner couldn't improve it).

Yes, Steeda and Bama do have free tunes for life programs, and yes, both companies are great to work with. American Muscle is a go-to for tons of things, but I personally won't choose them for my tuning. I've seen too many people have issues with pinging, throttle hesitation, and idle surging to put them as my top choice; however, they are still a fantastic company.

When you order your programmer from Brenspeed (I'd suggest a JLT CAI/SCT X4 combo), you'll have to fill out a form with all of your information from modifications and car's computer code to tire revolutions per mile and axle ratios, so you shouldn't need another tune unless you add modifications down the road. Brenspeed is so competitively priced in most aspects that I just buy most parts from them and take the free tuning; however, I was looking at buying a set of JBA long tube headers and a FRPP intake manifold from Craigslist last year. I called Brenspeed and informed them on my situation and planned parts to add. When I asked Brent what it would cost for a new tune, he told me nothing for the long tubes and about $25 to reprogram for the CMDP delete of the intake manifold.

Therefore, don't let the no free tunes for life (unless you buy from them) deter you. They're likely the best canned tunes in the business, and they're not any more expensive than the competitors for retunes.

Jon_PDX likes this.

Current:
2007 Mustang GT 302 stroker 6060 swap, 3.73 gears, Hidden Hitch Receiver, Barton Short Throw, JBA LTs, Borla Touring Axle Back, Lito tuned SCT X4. BMR SP009, Bilsteins, J&M CC plates, J&M LCAs. 4 Piston Brembos
DOB GT450 with VMP Gen II 2.3 TVS | 13/14 GT500 HE & IWP | GT500 hat & DW340s | FRPP 52lb | CMS Stage 2 Blower Cams | Comp 113 Springs & Retainers | 8 rib conversion | Track Spec GT500 Vents | PTFE Heat Barriers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page