Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By cman
  • 1 Post By jlee910
  • 1 Post By luckyloke

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Maintanance work

So I just recently got my 2008 Mustang GT AT and already thinking about my first little maintenance projects.

Thought about doing the following and wanted to know if you had any tips I should look out for while doing this.

1. Clean the throttle body with CRC throttle body cleaner
2. Add CRC 05063 Guaranteed To Pass Emissions Test Formula to my next fueling - is it recommended for this car? is there something else that is better for my model?
3. Thinking about putting on a cold air intake - which is most recommended for my model and where can I get the best price?

Anything else I should look at while in there?

BTW, the car was fully services before I bought it so I know air filters, oil etc... are all good and new.

Appreciate any tips here

2008 Mustang GT 4.6L V8 AT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015
GT Member

I remove my throttle body, get a soft bristle toothbrush, and give it a nice scrubbing with the CRC Throttle Body cleaner. It takes about 15 minutes.

The JLT Series 3 cold air intake is arguably the best on the market, but it requires computer recalibration. Brenspeed has always done top notch tuning for me in the past, and I'm on my second Brenspeed tuned SCT/JLT combo. Brenspeed sells the combo at discount and would be my recommendation.

Steer clear of "no tune required" CAIs, as you generally lose performance and reliability with them (less effective filter and worse heat shielding combined with not recalibrating the MAF).

Current:
2007 Mustang GT 302 stroker 6060 swap, 3.73 gears, Hidden Hitch Receiver, Barton Short Throw, JBA LTs, Borla Touring Axle Back, Lito tuned SCT X4. BMR SP009, Bilsteins, J&M CC plates, J&M LCAs. 4 Piston Brembos
DOB GT450 with VMP Gen II 2.3 TVS | 13/14 GT500 HE & IWP | GT500 hat & DW340s | FRPP 52lb | CMS Stage 2 Blower Cams | Comp 113 Springs & Retainers | 8 rib conversion | Track Spec GT500 Vents | PTFE Heat Barriers
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015
GT Member

I would also clean the MAF sensor as well. Be careful with this as it fairly fragile internally and only requires a spraying of MAF cleaner and then let it air dry. Do not try to clean it mechanically with any kind of brush as that will damage the sensor.

Something else you also might want to look into is a catch can that will separate oil from PCV vapor that is pulled from the valve cover to the intake manifold on the drivers side. There is a significant amount of oil that will make it's way into the intake manifold without it.
standingwave likes this.

2005 black GT premium (5spd) / GT500 front LCA/upper strut mounts / Koni Adjustable (yellow)shocks with Roush Springs / FRPP 4:10 rear gear / BMR rear UCA/LCA+relocation brackets / MGW Shifter / Bassani axle backs / Cervinis heat extractor hood and Ducktail spoiler / Carroll Shelby CS69 20x9/20x10 wheels / MSD Blaster 2 coils / Roush TVS2300 Supercharger+Brenspeed 560R upgrade / Exedy Mach 500 Stage 3 Clutch / Exedy lightweight flywheel / SR Performance braided stainless clutch Line / Afco Dual Fan Heat Exchanger upgrade / JLT Catch Can / Axle Exchange one piece aluminum DS / Silly grin on my face every time I turn the key.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

I assume you are refering to this one - JLT Series 3 CAI 110mm & SCT X4 Tuner Package (2005-09 GT)
That puts me down $600...

At this point I'm looking to generally improve my performance and MPG for day to day commute. Is there a way to go around purchasing the tuner, maybe take it to be tuned at a local shop or a cheaper device I can use?
I wonder if there other cheaper choices out there for that.

You said ypu are on your second one... how long does one hold? or did you mean the filter itself...

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doronbr View Post
I assume you are refering to this one - JLT Series 3 CAI 110mm & SCT X4 Tuner Package (2005-09 GT)

At this point I'm looking to generally improve my performance and MPG for day to day commute. Is there a way to go around purchasing the tuner, maybe take it to be tuned at a local shop or a cheaper device I can use?

You said ypu are on your second one... how long does one hold? or did you mean the filter itself...
I ran a JLT Series 3 and Brenspeed tuning from 97k to 125k when my last GT was totaled. I got about a mpg bump in gas mileage, but the difference in the car was night and day. Dyno tuning is better than canned tuning, and that'll usually run between $200-500, probably a lot closer to $200 for something that simple. The filter was a little dirty, but I inspected the inside of the CAI tubing after the car was totaled and the inside of the tubing was perfectly clean (I've had dust all over the inside of CAIs in the past), so I have a good bit of trust in the JLT filter.

My current GT has had a JLT Series 3, Brenspeed SCT X4, and Steeda UDPs from 58k to current 75k miles, and I get high teens in the city and mid 20s on the highway. I'm also running about 13.2 in the 1/4 on street tires with 3.31s in Alabama, which is a plus. If I dragged a lot and on a good day, I think a 13.0 would be completely possible.

By longevity, I have meant that I have had wonderful results with the tuning (no hesitation like stock, no pinging like most aftermarket along with a fuel economy and power bump). The filters are also very good.
doronbr likes this.

Current:
2007 Mustang GT 302 stroker 6060 swap, 3.73 gears, Hidden Hitch Receiver, Barton Short Throw, JBA LTs, Borla Touring Axle Back, Lito tuned SCT X4. BMR SP009, Bilsteins, J&M CC plates, J&M LCAs. 4 Piston Brembos
DOB GT450 with VMP Gen II 2.3 TVS | 13/14 GT500 HE & IWP | GT500 hat & DW340s | FRPP 52lb | CMS Stage 2 Blower Cams | Comp 113 Springs & Retainers | 8 rib conversion | Track Spec GT500 Vents | PTFE Heat Barriers
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlee910 View Post
I remove my throttle body, get a soft bristle toothbrush, and give it a nice scrubbing with the CRC Throttle Body cleaner. It takes about 15 minutes.

The JLT Series 3 cold air intake is arguably the best on the market, but it requires computer recalibration. Brenspeed has always done top notch tuning for me in the past, and I'm on my second Brenspeed tuned SCT/JLT combo. Brenspeed sells the combo at discount and would be my recommendation.

Steer clear of "no tune required" CAIs, as you generally lose performance and reliability with them (less effective filter and worse heat shielding combined with not recalibrating the MAF).
What he said.

2006 GT Deluxe - 5MT - 12.50 @ 109.61
314rwhp 330rwtq with basic bolt-ons
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cman View Post
Something else you also might want to look into is a catch can that will separate oil from PCV vapor that is pulled from the valve cover to the intake manifold on the drivers side. There is a significant amount of oil that will make it's way into the intake manifold without it.
I went a step further and installed breather filters on both valve covers.

2006 GT Deluxe - 5MT - 12.50 @ 109.61
314rwhp 330rwtq with basic bolt-ons
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by doronbr View Post

my suggestion would be the opposite. Get the tuner. you are going to need it for about every mod from here on out. Most places will offer you multiple tunes with different octanes, but you could go with an aggressive 93 octane tune and really notice a difference. Then add the intake later if you would like.
mrbrooksmilwauk likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Ok, yesterday I cleaned the TB & MAF, followed all instructions and tips, used the CRC formulas and it was a breeze.
I also want to use CRC emission system cleaner but wanted to know if it's recommended to be used on a 2008 mustang gt.

PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
So...coming up on eight years old (and how many miles)?
Maintenance..........have you thought about a brake system flush? Regular or periodic maintenance opens up a lot of things depending. Radiator flush n fill, transmission PMs, brakes, axle fluids, etc. Year to year the recommended maintenance items seem to change. It depends on usage and miles. Does it still have the OEM battery? LOL! There's a lot of things to look at up front, then there are other items to look at down the road. For PMs..........you'll likely never know how or what the previous owner did or did not do to the vehicle even keeping up with the factory warranty.
The big items for me when getting a used vehicle are remaining factory warranty, engine, drive train. Without warranty, it's pretty much the same...engine (oil, filter, figure out what has been done in the past or start over depending on mileage)...cooling system, etc. Rear axle/diff fluid replacement, brake system, steering components, etc.
Got to go with a firm foundation....otherwise you could spend $400 on a CAI and other amenities while a $1200 bites you in the rear a month down the road from a rear main seal going out or a transmission fault.
I know it's exciting to get that new to you Mustang. I'm still going down that road myself. I've improved the outward appearance tremendously...but if the thing won't go down the road...it only looks good in the driveway or garage right? Drive that Mustang and find out if there's anything that need to be top of the list on things to do. That means spend some money on fuel and road time. Several hours under the hood....checking things like the battery and fluids, calling the local dealership for records of the maintenance performed if possible, etc. CAI can wait until you know that you have the firm foundation of a good operating vehicle.
We've been lucky with this previously owned 2011 Mustang and seems like it was well kept. Next month OEM warranty will expire for time not mileage. For us it's an as needed driver and weekends...enjoyment. Still got to take care of it. A pretty looking piece of junk is still a piece of junk. Just sayin'
Take care of it like it was the last vehicle you'll ever own. If gas prices top $15 per gallon will you be replacing your vehicle or buying gas for the one you have?

Black means black. If there is any chrome involved, it's not black anymore. Just sayin'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page