2006 GT Throttle issues - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By bl817

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Unhappy 2006 GT Throttle issues

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. Hopefully I can get some much needed help. These past 3 weeks I have been having issues with my GT. It first started as I was driving down a highway and the RPMs started majorly surging. It started out going from about 2k-4k then gradually went down as I pulled over. I checked everything out and it seemed to return back to normal idle. The days after that, it began to surge while idling and progressively became worse. I took apart and cleaned the throttle body and MAF thinking that would help, but no luck. After that we let it idle and it still surged while idling. I gave it some gas and it threw up the wrench and completely died. I tried replacing the TPS and that seemed to help with the surging while idling. But it still dies and the wrench light comes up when I give it gas. It is also giving me the codes P2111 and P2104. Any insight on this would be much appreciated. I am at my wits end and miss driving my baby very much. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015
GT Member

I'm thinking a bad throttle body stepper motor. Not sure how to test for it though.

I'm sure someone else will chime in with a solution.

2005 black GT premium (5spd) / GT500 front LCA/upper strut mounts / Koni Adjustable (yellow)shocks with Roush Springs / FRPP 4:10 rear gear / BMR rear UCA/LCA+relocation brackets / MGW Shifter / Bassani axle backs / Cervinis heat extractor hood and Ducktail spoiler / Carroll Shelby CS69 20x9/20x10 wheels / MSD Blaster 2 coils / Roush TVS2300 Supercharger+Brenspeed 560R upgrade / Exedy Mach 500 Stage 3 Clutch / Exedy lightweight flywheel / SR Performance braided stainless clutch Line / Afco Dual Fan Heat Exchanger upgrade / JLT Catch Can / Axle Exchange one piece aluminum DS / Silly grin on my face every time I turn the key.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Also, I just tested the voltage to the TPS. It is reading 5.00. If I am not mistaken it is supposed to read around 1.20. what could cause this?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Since you've already replaced the TPS, the most likely cause is a faulty throttle actuator.

P2111 Throttle Actuator Control System - Stuck Open
P2104 Throttle Actuator Control System - Forced Idle

I suggest you first try to remove it from the throttle body, check that there's nothing missing or broken, and clean it thoroughly. If that doesn't help, you'll need a new replacement.

2006 GT Deluxe - 5MT - 12.50 @ 109.61
314rwhp 330rwtq with basic bolt-ons
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

UPDATE:
The throttle body motor has been replaced. The TPS voltage seems to be correct now. I turned on the car and revved it after it was warm and the throttle got stuck and stayed at 3k RPM. I turned it off and checked the spring and it seems to be working correctly with the butterflies. Thoughts??????
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Do the butterflies return to their normal closed position?

2006 GT Deluxe - 5MT - 12.50 @ 109.61
314rwhp 330rwtq with basic bolt-ons
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

yes they do
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015
ski
GT Member
S197 Member

Make sure the pivot points for the TB butterflies are thoroughly cleaned.

If they're ok, reset the KAM (keep alive memory) by doing the following:
- Remove the positive battery cable, and connect a jumper from the end of the positive battery cable to ground for 10 seconds, and reconnect the positive battery cable.
- Start the engine, let it idle for a couple minutes with everything turned off, put the tranny in park/neutral, turn on the a/c for a few minutes, and then put the tranny in gear for a few minutes if you have an auto tranny.
- Drive the vehicle normally.
It usually takes 50-100 miles for the PCM to relearn the idle strategy.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Well I ended up taking it to a local shop. They tried everything with every different combination and no luck. They tried a OEM throttle body instead of my 62mm TB that I had on and now it runs perfect. Seems weird but I am just glad to have my car back.
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Sorry to hear of the trouble....can I ask what brand of aftermarket TB you were running?

2019 Mustang GT California Special: Oxford White
Appearance Mods: Llumar ceramic tint
GT Member
2.3L Member
S197 Member

Garage
having an aftermarket TB would have been very helpful info in the original post. glad your back up and running.
luckyloke and standingwave like this.

Lots of bolt on goodies...
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl817 View Post
having an aftermarket TB would have been very helpful info in the original post. glad your back up and running.

may be Its just me but I fell out when I read this
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

SR performance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
idle , intake , throttle , tps and throttle body , voltage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page