2005 Mustang GT What Will Happen If The Wrong Coolant Is Used? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

2005 Mustang GT What Will Happen If The Wrong Coolant Is Used?

I had the sc installed by a shop a few weeks aago and I noticed that the coolant is not the yellow stuff that was in there before, They used the green stuff. Will that be bad on the radiator and water pump. Shoud I flush it out and use the yellow? What is the difference?

Mineral Grey 2005 GT, Ford Racing Handling Package, BBK X-Pipes, BBK shorty Headers Ceramic coated,Ford racing exhaust, CS67 20" wheels 255/35/20F 285/30/20R, SCT Prog., Lemans Stripes, Kenne Bell supercharger 10psi 490rwhp 480rwt,GT500 twin fuel pumps,Forged and Stroked block, 39lb injectors. More to come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
If you mix the standard green with the orange/yellow stuff it can start to coagulate in the radiator. It'll look like your radiator is full of chocolate brownies.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
If you mix the standard green with the orange/yellow stuff it can start to coagulate in the radiator. It'll look like your radiator is full of chocolate brownies.
Ha Ha, although I hate to admit it, I did that with my wife's car (at least it wasn't mine ) Her low coolant light came on shortly after and I opened the radiator and it was just gunked up, so I had to have it flushed of the offending material
and that happened in just a matter of a few weeks, get that stuff out of there!

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Thanks for your help. I 'm glad I gave you something to laugh about. I'll flush it out.LOL They didn't mx it they had to drain the yellow to add the sc but filled completely with green. Is this still a problem?

Mineral Grey 2005 GT, Ford Racing Handling Package, BBK X-Pipes, BBK shorty Headers Ceramic coated,Ford racing exhaust, CS67 20" wheels 255/35/20F 285/30/20R, SCT Prog., Lemans Stripes, Kenne Bell supercharger 10psi 490rwhp 480rwt,GT500 twin fuel pumps,Forged and Stroked block, 39lb injectors. More to come
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mineralgrey View Post
Thanks for your help. I 'm glad I gave you something to laugh about. I'll flush it out.LOL They didn't mx it they had to drain the yellow to add the sc but filled completely with green. Is this still a problem?
If they drained everything and refilled with plain old green Prestone, not a problem.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Just so long as it doesn't go BOOM!
:hihi::hihi::hihi:
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to lxarlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
If they drained everything and refilled with plain old green Prestone, not a problem.
i doubt they flushed the block out.

You wouldnt happen to have a separate intercooler reservoir that they may have used green coolant in that.

Why drive a Prius when you can have a Fiesta!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page