Lug nut sizing - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Lug nut sizing

Can anyone help me by explaining how this sizing works?

I recently had the gt500 style wheels installed by my tire shop. The wheels were 19x8.5 in the front and 19x10 in the back.

They stated my old lug nuts wouldn't fit, and they had a set they could install. So without a choice I had to agree since I didn't have a new set on hand. The new lug nuts say 1/2 on the sides.

Unfortunately this past weekend, I cross threaded a lug nut and it's now screwing in oddly. The lug nut screws in weird on all studs, so the studs aren't bad. The tire shop can sell me another set, for 80$, which doesn't seem practical since I only need one lug nut. Or I can just go to american muscle and buy a full set for a fraction off that price.

So my questions are, will any 1/2 lug nut set fit on these new wheels?

Does any thing change for a staggered set up?

What's thread count? And does it matter?
Couldn't find too much info on how sizing works. Appreciate any input fellas and ladies.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2007 GT Performance White
Pype Bomb Axleback
JLT Series 3 CAI
Bama 93 Hybrid Tune
Steeda Underdrive Pulleys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I'm pretty sure all the lugnuts are the same across the board, whether it be GT500, GT, v6, etc.

I'd check a local parts store or the dealer.

I know Dorman makes lots of lugnuts, although I don't have any experience with them.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianwu View Post
Can anyone help me by explaining how this sizing works?

I recently had the gt500 style wheels installed by my tire shop. The wheels were 19x8.5 in the front and 19x10 in the back.

They stated my old lug nuts wouldn't fit, and they had a set they could install. So without a choice I had to agree since I didn't have a new set on hand. The new lug nuts say 1/2 on the sides.

Unfortunately this past weekend, I cross threaded a lug nut and it's now screwing in oddly. The lug nut screws in weird on all studs, so the studs aren't bad. The tire shop can sell me another set, for 80$, which doesn't seem practical since I only need one lug nut. Or I can just go to american muscle and buy a full set for a fraction off that price.

So my questions are, will any 1/2 lug nut set fit on these new wheels?

Does any thing change for a staggered set up?

What's thread count? And does it matter?
Couldn't find too much info on how sizing works. Appreciate any input fellas and ladies.

wheels dont determine lug nut size, the studs do. im not sure why they said they needed to sell you new lug nuts unless the wheels have a different lug seat that needed a different type (acorn, flat, tappered, etc).

but the answer to your question is 1/2 20.

1/2 is the diameter and 20 is the thread size/pitch. most wheels now use acorn seats. just take a lug with you and make sure it matches.

80 for a lug is rediculous, im pretty sure based on what you posted your getting hosed by your tire shop and you need to find a new one.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06CanuckGT View Post
I'm pretty sure all the lugnuts are the same across the board, whether it be GT500, GT, v6, etc.
Some have thinner sidewalls. When I put my aftermarket rims on the holes on the rim are smaller than OEM wheels so I had to switch to a different type of lug nut

'06 GT Windveil Blue with Black Stripes- Brenspeed 91 Tune, JLT Series 3 CAI, Flowmaster Outlaw Axle Back, TSW Tanaka and Nitto Invo
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

In other words, the inside thread is always the same (1/2-20?) but the outside hex size can be different; meaning you use a different size wrench. Some of the wheels have small recess holes and require the thinner wall nut / smaller hex size. When you go shopping for the new one, make sure you know the correct hex (wrench) size.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015
PONY Member

Correct, all models use the same studs. Even the ARP and FRPP aftermarket studs have the same threading (just different stud lengths). If your original lugs didn't work, it's most likely a wheel limitation (different lug seats or require thin sidewall lugs).
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Thanks everyone.

I actually just tried throwing on the old lug nut just to see. It does fit.

What doesn't fit is the socket. I either need a super slim socket of some type, or thinner/slimmer lug nuts as suggested.

Good to know that all lug nuts fit, but it's the wheels that alter socket sizing.

Appreciate everyone's help!

2007 GT Performance White
Pype Bomb Axleback
JLT Series 3 CAI
Bama 93 Hybrid Tune
Steeda Underdrive Pulleys
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015
GT Member

Any conical seat lug nut should work as long as it's 1/2"-20 thread.

You might look into some kind of splined lug nut, they are generally made for wheels with small lug openings and have a thin-wall socket to fit.

I don't know what length lug nuts these cars need, I have a set of McGard splined 1/2"-20 lugs that I bought for my Ranger and found out I couldn't use because they were too short (and I found this out because the end of the stud broke through the end of a couple of the lugs!). Total overall length is 1.25". If those would work send me a PM, I'll give you a good deal on them since they aren't a complete set due to the couple broken ones. I can't really use them for anything.

'05 Mustang GT Premium
CMS Stage 1 cams, C&L Racer, Lito tune, Jeg's oil sep, CMDP, SR UDP's, JBA stainless LT's & catted H, Magnaflow resonators, MBRP axle back, BMR springs, Koni STR.T, BMR LCA's & backets, J&M upper & mount, J&M Al panhard, DIY panhard brace, Steeda Tri-Ax, smoked corners, Raxiom Vector tails, Brembos, S550 GT Premium wheels, 2010+ door panels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page