Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Garage
Feel the Type-F LOVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ew1usnr View Post
"Why all the LOVE for automatics?"
Here I am having a romantic moment with my Ford-O-Matic.

Why all the hate for Automatics?!-me-transmission.jpg

"A thing of beauty is a joy forever; its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness" – John Keats.

Where Mustangs Began: 1963 Ford Falcon Futura Hardtop with a 164 hp Challenger 260 V-8 and a Ford-O-Matic two-speed automatic transmission. "The Wonder Falcon".
2016 Ford Mustang GT Fastback with a 435 hp Coyote 5.0 L V-8 and a 6R80E six-speed automatic transmission. "Race Red".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

5r55s not that bad!

I have an auto with 410's and a TCI 3000rpm stall convertor tuned by Brenspeed and the throttle response and quick shifts are awesome! It is also a 5r55s! With nearly 500 rwhp it gets beat and I have had no issues. Royal Purple trans fluid a must. I have the TCI ratchet shifter but rarely shift manually. I do turn off the OD when starting the car and only turn it on if I am going on the highway. You can hit the gas peddle at 50 mph and the wheels chirp! Why all the hate for the 5r55s? 2008 vert gt w/v3 blower.

GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
rob, I'm actually happy that you could tweak your 5R55S to give you exactly what you want in a transmission. So I don't hate it, at least not for you.

But I'd never buy one for myself because what I want out of a transmission is a whole lot different from your list.

If it ever gets impossible to buy a new car with a manual transmission, that'll be the time when I might finally apply the word 'hate'. And even then it won't be hate for the transmission as a mechanical device - it'll be directed at the market mindset that'll be saying I'm no longer entitled to my preference.

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (spare, winter driver)

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaknut View Post
I have an auto with 410's and a TCI 3000rpm stall convertor tuned by Brenspeed and the throttle response and quick shifts are awesome! It is also a 5r55s! With nearly 500 rwhp it gets beat and I have had no issues. Royal Purple trans fluid a must. I have the TCI ratchet shifter but rarely shift manually. I do turn off the OD when starting the car and only turn it on if I am going on the highway. You can hit the gas peddle at 50 mph and the wheels chirp! Why all the hate for the 5r55s? 2008 vert gt w/v3 blower.

Yep, I got a 5.3 with a kb on it that will do the same thing with a stock converter and 331's. Punch it at 65, hear the wheels chirp, and get thrown back in the seat, and leave the Z06 next to you in the dust.
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaknut View Post
You've done some very good upgrades and I'm glad you're happy with your tranny.

2006 GT Deluxe - 5MT - 12.50 @ 109.61
314rwhp 330rwtq with basic bolt-ons
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Meh.
In the end no matter what.
If you rock the 5R or the 3650
Everyone leaves it alone in 5th haha

At that point most of us have cruise control on.

So rock on with your sticks or slush boxes.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page