How Difficult is it to Lower an 2006 Mustang GT by Yourself? - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

How Difficult is it to Lower an 2006 Mustang GT by Yourself?

I've gone back and forth with the idea of lowering my 06 GT. I have already replaced the stock sway bars with FRPP's. The car handles great, but the gap between the fender and the tire is starting to bug me. My Stang is a weekend car, so I'm not bothered by road conditions as a daily driver would. So far every mod to my car has been by me. I don't really trust anyone else working on it. That being said, I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. Any advise? Anyone know of a good installer in the Mobile, AL or Pensacola, FL area? Anyone have detailed instructions that I can study prior to attempting the install myself? Thanks!

06 Mustang GT, Hurst short throw, Flowmasters, Steeda adj suspension system w/ Tokicko D-Specs, LCA's, panhard bar w/ brace, FRPP sway bars & Steeda endlinks, Steeda CAI, 18" deep dish bullitts w/ Nitto's (275's & 255's), CDC chin spoiler, Webasto power moon roof, MagnaCharger, Comp Cams XFI Stage 2 NSR cams, 4.10's, JBA Cat4Ward headers, Shaft Masters 3.5" al DS, MAC Prochamber, FRPP 62mm TB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to RetroGT2006
If you have airtools its quick as heck! We did my buddies 06 GT in like 40 mins maybE? Dont know exactly, i wasnt counting.. but maybe somewhere around there..

Daily Driver: 2006 Honda CBR600rr
Weekend Warrior: 2006 Mustang GT
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris D View Post
I've gone back and forth with the idea of lowering my 06 GT. I have already replaced the stock sway bars with FRPP's. The car handles great, but the gap between the fender and the tire is starting to bug me. My Stang is a weekend car, so I'm not bothered by road conditions as a daily driver would. So far every mod to my car has been by me. I don't really trust anyone else working on it. That being said, I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. Any advise? Anyone know of a good installer in the Mobile, AL or Pensacola, FL area? Anyone have detailed instructions that I can study prior to attempting the install myself? Thanks!
Starting to notice the monster truck look of the stock ride height, eh?

It's actually pretty easy and can be done under jack stands. I don't have instructions but I just took a look under the car and figured it out. You'll need a spring compressor for the front struts but other than that common tools and a few hours are all you'll need.

2005 Mustang GT with 300 ci 04 Cobra iron block, Kenne Bell 2.6l twin screw, P&P S3 Heads, SS valves, Comp S3 cams, Currie 9+ 9" rear end and DS, Hurst shifter, BMR K-member, A-arms, LCAs & UCA, JBA long tubes & mid-pipe, Accel COPs, Dual GT500 fuel pumps, much more...
670 RWHP, 640Tq @ 16 psi & 6400 RPM

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007
GT Member
S197 Member

you'l need and adjustable panhard bar to re-align pinion angle also, cause lowering it will throw the rear end's angle off a little

2006 Vista Blue Mustang GT:
Mods: ||EdelBrock E-Force Stage 1// Brenspeed 93 Dyno Tune// Pypes LT headers, O/R H-pipe// GT500 Fuel System// Borla Stingers// MGW Shifter// Hawk HPS// Powerslot Rotors// CHE: UCA / LCA/ Anti-Squats/ K-member/ Panhard Brace// Nitto NT555's (daily)// Infinity Sound// CDC Chin// MT ET Streets (track)||
www .GutterMindedConcepts.com
447rwhp 419ft-lbs - Stage Zero
* 466 rwhp 441ft-lbs - Stage 1 *
Brenspeed Supporter!
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Still debating whether to do mine myself or hire it out. Not really in a DIY mood right now.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT speeder13 View Post
you'l need and adjustable panhard bar to re-align pinion angle also, cause lowering it will throw the rear end's angle off a little
PR is for axle center, not pinion angle. Need an adj UCA for that.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007
GT Member
S197 Member

woops, sorry about the info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
Still debating whether to do mine myself or hire it out. Not really in a DIY mood right now.
common, half the fun is doing it yourself. Hiring out on DIY mods kinda takes away from the fun of buying the mods, doesnt it? I look at installing mods as a hobby.... makes me feel like money well spent when it takes a few hours of sweat to install, and I appreciate the difference a little more.

Im also younger and dont have much else to do besides school and work.

Mods: ||EdelBrock E-Force Stage 1// Brenspeed 93 Dyno Tune// Pypes LT headers, O/R H-pipe// GT500 Fuel System// Borla Stingers// MGW Shifter// Hawk HPS// Powerslot Rotors// CHE: UCA / LCA/ Anti-Squats/ K-member/ Panhard Brace// Nitto NT555's (daily)// Infinity Sound// CDC Chin// MT ET Streets (track)||
Brenspeed Supporter!
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
woops, sorry about the info...

common, half the fun is doing it yourself. Hiring out on DIY mods kinda takes away from the fun of buying the mods, doesnt it? I look at installing mods as a hobby.... makes me feel like money well spent when it takes a few hours of sweat to install, and I appreciate the difference a little more.

Im also younger and dont have much else to do besides school and work.
I'm going to think about it awhile... Since I don't currently have any fuel injectors, I can't drive it to a shop anyway.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
I'm going to think about it awhile... Since I don't currently have any fuel injectors, I can't drive it to a shop anyway.
what, did you order new ones? or have the original injector finally crap out?

what are you driving to work, haha I know the military is pretty tight about missing work or a shift. you can get in big trouble if you miss muster at lower levels, so Im sure its about the same in the pentagon right?

Brenspeed Supporter!
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
what, did you order new ones? or have the original injector finally crap out?

what are you driving to work, haha I know the military is pretty tight about missing work or a shift. you can get in big trouble if you miss muster at lower levels, so Im sure its about the same in the pentagon right?
Long painful story... See 2005 Mustang GT fuel injector cleaning & balancing . Fortunately I have other vehicles.

1965 Mustang Coupe
PONY Member
S197 Member

I just swapped my springs this weekend, and put in shocks and struts. With air tools it was very fast. The longest part of the install was jacking the car up and taking the wheels off and putting them back on.

05 Mustang GT- PH 76mm Turbo, Stage 3 heads, 322 JPC Built RGR Stroker (under construction)
GT Member
S197 Member

wow, its already been 2 weeks, I feel for you, however you might as well order a spair set of injectors (possibly upgraded). Who knows when they will find them and send them back. I would hope that they do the entire service for free, actually I would demand it if I were you, just let them know how bad you will down talk them of they continue to charge you. I would consider that a fair trade!

+1 on the dually, haha

Brenspeed Supporter!
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeostang View Post
I just swapped my springs this weekend, and put in shocks and struts. With air tools it was very fast. The longest part of the install was jacking the car up and taking the wheels off and putting them back on.
awesome... post some pics of the new standing stang! congrats on the mod

Brenspeed Supporter!
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeostang View Post
Did you install a set of camber bolts??

1965 Mustang Coupe
PONY Member
S197 Member

No, I didn't order any. From what it looks like I have an aggressive street alignment. I'm going to get it checked after everything settles. I'd like to have an aggressive negative camber anyway, since the car only sees no more then 2500 miles a year. It will clock more time on the trailer then on the street.

05 Mustang GT- PH 76mm Turbo, Stage 3 heads, 322 JPC Built RGR Stroker (under construction)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page