MAC Prochamber w/ JBA Shorty & FM AT? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

MAC Prochamber w/ JBA Shorty & FM AT?

Hi guys,
It’s been several years since I last posted in this forum. My 06 GT has been garaged for the past 3 plus years while I drove my company car. Recently I resigned from that position and now driving my Stang as a daily driver until I figure out what to buy (truck/SUV/etc?).
Now to the topic…..I want to quieten down the drone and interior noise of the Stang while keeping it street legal but not sacrificing performance. I searched the site for what I’m about to ask but couldn’t find exactly what I was looking for.
Question: My GT is supercharged (Magnacharger), has JBA Cat-4-Ward shorty headers, Flowmaster American Thunder axle backs with stock H-Pipe. Will the MAC Prochamber be a good compliment to these mods? Will the car be louder with this combination or quieter?
Thanks for any feedback.

06 Mustang GT, Hurst short throw, Flowmasters, Steeda adj suspension system w/ Tokicko D-Specs, LCA's, panhard bar w/ brace, FRPP sway bars & Steeda endlinks, Steeda CAI, 18" deep dish bullitts w/ Nitto's (275's & 255's), CDC chin spoiler, Webasto power moon roof, MagnaCharger, Comp Cams XFI Stage 2 NSR cams, 4.10's, JBA Cat4Ward headers, Shaft Masters 3.5" al DS, MAC Prochamber, FRPP 62mm TB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Forgot to mention....I also have stock cats installed.

06 Mustang GT, Hurst short throw, Flowmasters, Steeda adj suspension system w/ Tokicko D-Specs, LCA's, panhard bar w/ brace, FRPP sway bars & Steeda endlinks, Steeda CAI, 18" deep dish bullitts w/ Nitto's (275's & 255's), CDC chin spoiler, Webasto power moon roof, MagnaCharger, Comp Cams XFI Stage 2 NSR cams, 4.10's, JBA Cat4Ward headers, Shaft Masters 3.5" al DS, MAC Prochamber, FRPP 62mm TB.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016
GT Member

The prochamber tends to make it louder and increases drone in most setups. If a prochamber is in the budget, a muffler swap definitely should be. I'd look into the FR500S setup. Aggressive outside the car with zero drone.

Current:
2007 Mustang GT 302 stroker 6060 swap, 3.73 gears, Hidden Hitch Receiver, Barton Short Throw, JBA LTs, Borla Touring Axle Back, Lito tuned SCT X4. BMR SP009, Bilsteins, J&M CC plates, J&M LCAs. 4 Piston Brembos
DOB GT450 with VMP Gen II 2.3 TVS | 13/14 GT500 HE & IWP | GT500 hat & DW340s | FRPP 52lb | CMS Stage 2 Blower Cams | Comp 113 Springs & Retainers | 8 rib conversion | Track Spec GT500 Vents | PTFE Heat Barriers

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
+1
The drone is from the Flowmasters. Sorry. Nice mufflers. The Ford Racing axlebacks or Borlas will fix that.

DT

2010 GT Premium / Automatic / RapidSpec 401A Leather Interior / MMD Decklid Panel / MMD Classic Quarter Window Louvers / MMD Black Tail Light Trim / GT500 Splash Guards / GT Valve Caps / FRPP GT500 Brake Cooling Shields / FRPP-SVT GT500 Cooling Fan / Steeda LCAs / Whiteline Front Sway, RTR Rear / Whiteline Adj Panhard / Redline Hood Struts / JLT Oil Separator / JLT Series 3 Cold Air Intake / Pypes O/R X-pipe / Pypes Violators Axelbacks / Steeda UDP / Steeda CMDPlugs / Brenspeed Tune
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I have a Mac Prochamber midpipe. It tends to be quiet at cruising speed, but a have the Mac BoomTubes (straight through design) as well. When I was choosing my exhaust set up, I read post after post about the drone from Flowmaster (chambered design) mufflers. I would change my mufflers to one of the straight through design mufflers before I change my mid pipe. You might loose some of the deep richness of the Flowmasters but get rid of the drone most of your drone.

Airaid Race CAI and SF3 Tuner with 93 Race Tune; Ford Racing GT500 Throttle Body Kit; Zex Nitrous Kit (100 shot); Steeda Billet Charge Motion Delete Plates; JTL Oil Separator; J&M Pan-Hard Bar, Lower Control Arms and Adjustable Upper Control Arm; BMR Lowering Springs and Relocation Brackets; Strange Shocks and Struts; GT500 Strut Mounts; Motive 3.90 Gears; Mac Long Tube Headers with Pro Chamber Mid-Pipe and Boom Tubes; Pypes Ceramic Cats; O2 Sensor Raiser Non Foulers.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

I broke down and purchased a MAC Prochamber off e-Bay for $250 (clamps not included) with free freight. Installed it myself today/tonight. What a PITA!! Took my Stang to the local muffler shop beforehand but they wanted $180 to install it so I figured I'd do it myself....big mistake since I don't have a lift. It was near impossible to cut the top portions of the exhaust pipes....I ended up using a hack saw blade and manually sawed them. If the car was on a lift I could have gotten to the tops with a recip saw. I'll test drive it tomorrow and will hopefully see/hear that it was well worth the effort.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016
GT Member

I don't think you'll be happy with it. I have chambered mufflers on my car, I ran a prochamber with high flow cats for awhile (before the headers) and at mid-2000 RPM's it was drone city especially when the car was cold. It was about enough to give me a headache, I could only stand it for a couple weeks and I had to swap it out.

My current setup is tolerable and sounds amazing so I haven't touched it in quite awhile.

'05 Mustang GT Premium
CMS Stage 1 cams, C&L Racer, Lito tune, Jeg's oil sep, CMDP, SR UDP's, JBA stainless LT's & catted H, Magnaflow resonators, MBRP axle back, BMR springs, Koni STR.T, BMR LCA's & backets, J&M upper & mount, J&M Al panhard, DIY panhard brace, Steeda Tri-Ax, smoked corners, Raxiom Vector tails, Brembos, S550 GT Premium wheels, 2010+ door panels
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghunt View Post
I don't think you'll be happy with it. I have chambered mufflers on my car, I ran a prochamber with high flow cats for awhile (before the headers) and at mid-2000 RPM's it was drone city especially when the car was cold. It was about enough to give me a headache, I could only stand it for a couple weeks and I had to swap it out.

My current setup is tolerable and sounds amazing so I haven't touched it in quite awhile.
Thanks for advice. If the drone gets overwhelming then I'll replace the Flowmaster American Thunder axle backs. No way am I going to replace the Prochamber.....way too much hassle!

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016
GT Member

You definitely got a good deal on the pro chamber. Well, hope you can make it work out. I haven't run Flowmasters myself but I've had Aerochambers and no Edelbrock SDT's (which are also chambered) and I haven't thought the drone was all that bad.
I noticed pro chambers are way quieter at idle than H pipes or X pipes, but otherwise they sound pretty similar to an H pipe.

'05 Mustang GT Premium
CMS Stage 1 cams, C&L Racer, Lito tune, Jeg's oil sep, CMDP, SR UDP's, JBA stainless LT's & catted H, Magnaflow resonators, MBRP axle back, BMR springs, Koni STR.T, BMR LCA's & backets, J&M upper & mount, J&M Al panhard, DIY panhard brace, Steeda Tri-Ax, smoked corners, Raxiom Vector tails, Brembos, S550 GT Premium wheels, 2010+ door panels
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
You definitely got a good deal on the pro chamber. Well, hope you can make it work out. I haven't run Flowmasters myself but I've had Aerochambers and no Edelbrock SDT's (which are also chambered) and I haven't thought the drone was all that bad.
I noticed pro chambers are way quieter at idle than H pipes or X pipes, but otherwise they sound pretty similar to an H pipe.
Just took the Stang for an extended test drive. To be honest, I can't tell the difference sound wise from the stock H-Pipe. Drone isn't better or worse. I was hoping the Prochamber quietened the car a bit like some have posted. Maybe it's the combination of JBA Cat-4Ward Headers, stock cats, Prochamber and Flowmaster American Thunders that's just loud....

GT Member

I had all three setups on my car with high flow cats...H pipe, X pipe, and pro chamber. The pro chamber was much quieter at idle than the other two, otherwise- they were pretty much identical in volume.
I'm surprised it's that loud with stock cats honestly, but Flowmasters are just loud. Are you looking for less drone, less volume, or both? My current setup sounds great to me but I think it's walking the line between "acceptable volume" and "piss off your neighbors."

'05 Mustang GT Premium
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
I had all three setups on my car with high flow cats...H pipe, X pipe, and pro chamber. The pro chamber was much quieter at idle than the other two, otherwise- they were pretty much identical in volume.
I'm surprised it's that loud with stock cats honestly, but Flowmasters are just loud. Are you looking for less drone, less volume, or both? My current setup sounds great to me but I think it's walking the line between "acceptable volume" and "piss off your neighbors."
Really would like to quieten it down a bit....but still want that "muscle car sound". Since the JBA headers and Prochamber is off limits to replace I'll focus on the axle backs. After owning the car for 10 years (drove it off the car dealer's lot with only 2 miles on it), I would like to "tame" the sound down some. Any suggestions on axle backs that will work with my setup?

Apprentice

My car had drone. I fixed it by soundproofing the trunk and carpet. I needed new carpet so I went on eBay bought it there along with molded sound proofing to it. Also sprayed it too both the trunk and the frame. It worked great. You can buy it at home depo if you want to cut and fix it yourself or buy it online already cut for you but much more expensive. The carpet cost $250 with soundproof. The trunk about $75 worth of panels. You can buy sound proof panels like they use for music and fit it to the car too. I went the more expensive way But it was worth it as it is quiet now like factory. But load as a mother outside.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomashogan640 View Post
My car had drone. I fixed it by soundproofing the trunk and carpet. I needed new carpet so I went on eBay bought it there along with molded sound proofing to it. Also sprayed it too both the trunk and the frame. It worked great. You can buy it at home depo if you want to cut and fix it yourself or buy it online already cut for you but much more expensive. The carpet cost $250 with soundproof. The trunk about $75 worth of panels. You can buy sound proof panels like they use for music and fit it to the car too. I went the more expensive way But it was worth it as it is quiet now like factory. But load as a mother outside.
I've already attempted to soundproof the trunk with Dynamat. I also used Dynamat inside the door panels when I upgraded the speakers. The only place I haven't "sound proofed" is the floors under the carpet. Guess I'll try that next.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page