Any Performance Gains w/ 62 mm TB & Magnacharger? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Any Performance Gains w/ 62 mm TB & Magnacharger?

Just curious if there are any performance gains by installing a 62 mm TB with my current setup (Magnacharger, Comp Cams, Steeda CAI, etc.). I would shy away from BBK due to the many issues I've read about. The Ford Racing one looks great but very expensive.....not sure if it's worth the $$$ with my list of mods.

06 Mustang GT, Hurst short throw, Flowmasters, Steeda adj suspension system w/ Tokicko D-Specs, LCA's, panhard bar w/ brace, FRPP sway bars & Steeda endlinks, Steeda CAI, 18" deep dish bullitts w/ Nitto's (275's & 255's), CDC chin spoiler, Webasto power moon roof, MagnaCharger, Comp Cams XFI Stage 2 NSR cams, 4.10's, JBA Cat4Ward headers, Shaft Masters 3.5" al DS, MAC Prochamber, FRPP 62mm TB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016
GT Member

It says you're from Fairhope. If that's Fairhope, Alabama, you're emissions exempt and would see way more improvement by ditching shorties in favor of long tubes. Generally throttle bodies do very little on the 4.6 3v, but I haven't seen any TB changes on positive displacement blowers, only centrifugal.

Personally, I'd look into replacing the Hurst shifter with a Barton or MGW. It'll make more of a difference than a few ponies by far.

Current:
2007 Mustang GT 5-speed 3.31 gears, Hidden Hitch Receiver, Barton Short Throw, JBA LTs, Borla Touring Axle Back, and Lito tuned SCT X4. BMR SP009, KYB Shocks & Struts, J&M CC plates, J&M LCAs. 4 Piston Brembos
255/45ZR18 front 295/40ZR18 rear
Department of Boost GT450 with 2011 GT500 M122, TB, & CAI | 13/14 GT500 HE & IWP | GT500 dual pumps | FRPP 52lb | CMS Stage 2 Blower Cams | Comp Springs & Retainers | AEM boost & wideband | 8 rib conversion | Track Spec GT500 Vents
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Thanks for quick reply jlee910. I do live in Fairhope, AL....but want to keep my car emission's legal in case I ever move back to the Atlanta area. Regarding the Hurst shifter, I agree that it's not the best shifter out today, but I remember vividly what a PITA it was to install....not sure I want to go through that again lol.....

06 Mustang GT, Hurst short throw, Flowmasters, Steeda adj suspension system w/ Tokicko D-Specs, LCA's, panhard bar w/ brace, FRPP sway bars & Steeda endlinks, Steeda CAI, 18" deep dish bullitts w/ Nitto's (275's & 255's), CDC chin spoiler, Webasto power moon roof, MagnaCharger, Comp Cams XFI Stage 2 NSR cams, 4.10's, JBA Cat4Ward headers, Shaft Masters 3.5" al DS, MAC Prochamber, FRPP 62mm TB.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
How much power are you at now? I don't see it producing a whole lot more...

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris D View Post
Thanks for quick reply jlee910. I do live in Fairhope, AL....but want to keep my car emission's legal in case I ever move back to the Atlanta area. Regarding the Hurst shifter, I agree that it's not the best shifter out today, but I remember vividly what a PITA it was to install....not sure I want to go through that again lol.....
I graduated from Daphne High School, so I'm pretty familiar with the area.

The Barton took me all of about 40 minutes to swap, most of which was spent wrestling that ridiculous boot in place. However, it's still well worth it in my opinion.

Intake air temperatures are probably your biggest power concern, so I'd look into cooling solutions if you're wanting to stay street legal such as an upgraded intercooler. On a hot south Alabama day, you could be pulling enough timing due to your IATs that you're down 50-100 horses.

Current:
2007 Mustang GT 5-speed 3.31 gears, Hidden Hitch Receiver, Barton Short Throw, JBA LTs, Borla Touring Axle Back, and Lito tuned SCT X4. BMR SP009, KYB Shocks & Struts, J&M CC plates, J&M LCAs. 4 Piston Brembos
Department of Boost GT450 with 2011 GT500 M122, TB, & CAI | 13/14 GT500 HE & IWP | GT500 dual pumps | FRPP 52lb | CMS Stage 2 Blower Cams | Comp Springs & Retainers | AEM boost & wideband | 8 rib conversion | Track Spec GT500 Vents
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Estimated between 425 and 450 HP. I haven't had it dyno tuned yet as I haven't found a tuner in the area that's close by. The closest one is in MS that I've found so far.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Good to know a fellow Alabamian is on the site jlee910! I'll look into the Barton shifter. BTW, my Magnacharger does have an intercooler, but a larger one would make a difference in the summer months I'm sure.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016
GT Member

Quote:
Estimated between 425 and 450 HP. I haven't had it dyno tuned yet as I haven't found a tuner in the area that's close by. The closest one is in MS that I've found so far.
There's one at Irvington and a few in Pensacola if I'm not mistaken. I'm planning to use Speed South in Birmingham/Pelham when I go FI.

Current:
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Thanks....I'll check out the dyno tuners in Pensacola once I get all of the maintenance items finished.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

By the way, I took my stock TB off yesterday to clean it and noticed that the Steeda TB Spacer has a larger ID than the stock TB. Wondering if this could cause any problems with a small amount of air being trapped between the TB and intake to the Magnacharger?

Any thoughts?

PONY Member

What size tb do you have now? I have a GT500 tb on my Magnacharger. What got me some more hP was adding a Ford racing car, about 25 more.....
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokievol View Post
What size tb do you have now? I have a GT500 tb on my Magnacharger. What got me some more hP was adding a Ford racing car, about 25 more.....
Smokievol, I using the stock 55 mm TB. After contacting Steeda I learned that the Steeda TB Spacer has a 61 mm ID. Can you explain the comment about the "Ford racing car"??

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Smokievol, I using the stock 55 mm TB. After contacting Steeda I learned that the Steeda TB Spacer has a 61 mm ID. Can you explain the comment about the "Ford racing car"??
Nevermind, sure you meant to type CAI not CAR.

PONY Member

Thats a Ford Racing CAI

Yeah, learning my new Fire tablet keyboard. Ford Racing CAI.
My Magnacharger came with a GT500 TB, so I added the GT500 CAI.

Looking at upgrading the cooling next, not really to boost the power, just keep the power longer. If you have any insights on cooling for the Maggie, let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0341.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	583.1 KB
ID:	490322  

2008 GT Premium, MagnaCharger TVS 1900, Brembo Brakes, Whiteline Watts Link, Koni Yellows, Steeda Sport Springs,
J&M Extreme LCA, BMR Relo Brackets, FR500S Axlebacks, TCI Shifter
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokievol View Post
Yeah, learning my new Fire tablet keyboard. Ford Racing CAI.
My Magnacharger came with a GT500 TB, so I added the GT500 CAI.

Looking at upgrading the cooling next, not really to boost the power, just keep the power longer. If you have any insights on cooling for the Maggie, let me know.
No cooling insights unfortunately. BTW, my Maggie install looks completely different than yours. My TB is mounted at the front of the engine.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MagnaCharger Closeup.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	356.3 KB
ID:	490426  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page