Cam question/comparison - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Yeah I am not a nitrous guy either, I don't feel like grenading my engine after every pass. but i just don't think boost is all that cool. Even if it might be more expensive to go N/A but I don't care really. I don't want some annoying whine or any of that coming from my car, and furthermore, you don't just slap on a blower and go, you have to upgrade things like your injectors, intercoolers, etc and then you run the risk of blowing up your internals because your overpowering them. i just don't see boost over and N/A build. Im not saying im against them, I think they are cool, but i just think N/A cars are cooler.

I was called lazy once... I almost responded...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member

Nitrous burns much hotter, so coated pistons become mandatory for constant usage if you're running a 150 shot+, which is also rod slinging territory, as you'll be throwing down about 500 ft-lb of torque at the wheels. The occasional pass won't hurt anything with a 100 shot or less, as the pistons have time to cool to normal temperatures, especially since the 4.6 doesn't use cheap alloy or aluminum pistons. My quarrel with NOS is having to refill the bottle at $40+ a pop.

Injectors and intercoolers are very simple modifications that are included in the bulk of SC kits. If you're looking at a full top end build, something as simple as injectors and an intercooler is like comparing stitches to brain surgery. As long as you're in safe power ranges, you won't blow your internals. There's a reason Ford put Roush and Saleen blowers on stock 2005-2010 GTs.

As an engineer, I don't understand any of your reasoning for choosing N/A over FI on those grounds, as FI only makes the engine run more efficiently. You only run into problems when you try to push things way too far, just like if you run a Stage 3 cam and throw a lifter.

But it's your car and your opinion, so it's ultimately your decision. I look forward to seeing your build with whatever route you choose. I'd suggest PMing stlwagon, as he built his GT N/A for road racing with over 400rwhp.

Current:
2007 Mustang GT 5-speed 3.31 gears, Hidden Hitch Receiver, Barton Short Throw, JBA LTs, Borla Touring Axle Back, and Lito tuned SCT X4. BMR SP009, KYB Shocks & Struts, J&M CC plates, J&M LCAs. 4 Piston Brembos
255/45ZR18 front 295/40ZR18 rear
Department of Boost GT450 with 2011 GT500 M122, TB, & CAI | 13/14 GT500 HE & IWP | GT500 dual pumps | FRPP 52lb | CMS Stage 2 Blower Cams | Comp Springs & Retainers | AEM boost & wideband | 8 rib conversion | Track Spec GT500 Vents
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt2010gt View Post
. . . Now one thing bothers me. Every time someone wants to NA someone else espouses FI as better. Okay, FI is cool too. But no one points out that NOS is far cheaper horsepower gains for the $ than FI... Seems like the NOS guys need to take a lesson from the FI guys and get out there and promote NOS... Just saying.
Hey, I'm just trying to help. I look at like this: what would I do if it was my money and my car. And FI has the biggest bang for the buck by far, that is where I would spend my money if it was me. But each to his own; if it is more fun for you to stay N/A because it is a bigger challenge, it is your money and your time so have fun with it.

I wouldn't spend my money, or yours, on NOS for a street car because it just isn't practical. It's a full throttle only kind of thing; great for the drag strip but that's about it. Plus it really isn't all that cheap if you actually use it, because you have to figure in the cost of filling the bottle.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
I wasn't talking about any stage 3 cams. I was just asking about these 2 cams, that's it. If i wanted a boosted car, id buy a factory boosted car so i could just upgrade that, than rather started from just a regular non-blown motor.

post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlee910 View Post

As an engineer, I don't understand any of your reasoning for choosing N/A over FI on those grounds, as FI only makes the engine run more efficiently. You only run into problems when you try to push things way too far, just like if you run a Stage 3 cam and throw a lifter.
I wasn't talking about any stage 3 cams at all. i was just asking about these 2 cams. I'm not building it to run super high competition classes. I'm going to build it as a good sounding decent performing car that i can still drive around, and race at the track on the weekends. I don't need a blower for that, If i was going to build a blower car, I'd buy a blower car and upgrade that rather than start from scratch. And anything is going to break when you push things too far. All i am saying is that i Like N/A cars the best, not saying boost isn't cool, its just not for me, i will always like the simplicity of an N/A build too, less parts, mean less to worry about and go wrong and it would be easier to service. there is pros and cons to each of them, and I have seen on numerous occasions where N/A cars keep right up with boosted cars. Thats why i never thought that there was a difference. you just have to make sure that if your going up against a boosted car, your N/A motor has to be built perfect. I wasn't looking for any opinions on what i like. I just wanted opinions on the cams and I thank you for your insight.

GT Member

I love n/a builds (big-inch Windsor strokers make me drool), but on the 3 valve it's just so damn expensive. Heads and a stroker kit cost more than a supercharger for less power, hell anyone's heads above "stage 1" are well over $2000 by themselves and they're just ported factory heads! And we're also really limited by cubic inches. I think it's damn impressive that this little 281 can make around 400 flywheel hp with just bolt-ons (tune, headers, cams), not even cracking the engine open, but beyond that you might as well slap on a huffer.
KingKoser06 likes this.

'05 Mustang GT Premium
CMS Stage 1 cams, C&L Racer, Lito tune, Jeg's oil sep, CMDP, SR UDP's, JBA stainless LT's & catted H, Magnaflow resonators, MBRP axle back, BMR springs, Koni STR.T, BMR LCA's & backets, J&M upper & mount, J&M Al panhard, DIY panhard brace, Steeda Tri-Ax, smoked corners, Raxiom Vector tails, Brembos, S550 GT Premium wheels, 2010+ door panels

You should check out our Brenspeed Detroit Rocker cams. They are NSR, they give great power gains and old school rough idle and you're able to maintain your every day drive-ability.
KingKoser06 likes this.
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKoser06 View Post
Hello friends, I just had a question about which cams are better for the 3v, the Ford Racing Hot Rod cams, or the Comp Mutha Thumpr cams. I am sticking to cams that are designed to play nice with the factory head components like the valve springs and stuff. I just wanted to know which is the best of the 2 or if i am leaving any other cams out. Any help would be appreciated.
Hmmmmmm.........nope.
I don't see anything there that says "I can't make up my mind between a N/A build or F/I".

08 GT 5spd
Spectra CAI, Comp Cam Detroit Rockers, Kooks headers w/catted H-pipe, Revolution Automotive dyno tuned, FB430 race mufflers, 3.55s, JLT catch can, BMR Lca's and relo brackets. Prothane motor mounts and sway bar bushings.
20% tint, smoked markers and tail lights w/sequentials. Clear front signal covers, series 3 chin spoiler.
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghunt View Post
I love n/a builds (big-inch Windsor strokers make me drool), but on the 3 valve it's just so damn expensive. Heads and a stroker kit cost more than a supercharger for less power, hell anyone's heads above "stage 1" are well over $2000 by themselves and they're just ported factory heads! And we're also really limited by cubic inches. I think it's damn impressive that this little 281 can make around 400 flywheel hp with just bolt-ons (tune, headers, cams), not even cracking the engine open, but beyond that you might as well slap on a huffer.
Thank you! thats all i am trying to do

MACH I Member
5.0L Member

If you're happy with ~350rwhp or 400 crank HP, all you need is:

JLT 3 CAI
CMDPs
UDPs
LT headers
CompCams 127200 (NSR Stage 2) cams
Custom tune

This combo will work best with 3.73 axle gears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKoser06
I don't feel like grenading my engine after every pass. but i just don't think boost is all that cool. Even if it might be more expensive to go N/A but I don't care really. I don't want some annoying whine or any of that coming from my car, and furthermore, you don't just slap on a blower and go, you have to upgrade things like your injectors, intercoolers, etc and then you run the risk of blowing up your internals because your overpowering them. i just don't see boost over and N/A build. Im not saying im against them, I think they are cool, but i just think N/A cars are cooler.
I agree that N/A cars are cooler and a true hotrodder tries to extract as much torque as possible across the widest possible rpm range from a N/A engine.
That said, there are intercooled blower set ups (e.g. Magnacharger, Edelbrock E-Force) that produce very little whine, a shedload of torque from 2000-6500rpm, and a safe 400-410rwhp (stock exhaust system) with just 6-7psi of boost so they're worth consideration. They also look very sanitary under the hood and you'd think they were factory fitted.
KingKoser06 likes this.

2006 GT Deluxe - 5MT - 12.50 @ 109.61
314rwhp 330rwtq with basic bolt-ons
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandGT View Post
Hmmmmmm.........nope.
I don't see anything there that says "I can't make up my mind between a N/A build or F/I".
OK OK my bad . . . but if all these threads stayed 100% on point there would be a lot less chatter on here and it would be a lot less fun overall, LOL

carry on . . .
KingKoser06 likes this.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt95 View Post
If you're happy with ~350rwhp or 400 crank HP, all you need is:

JLT 3 CAI
CMDPs
UDPs
LT headers
CompCams 127200 (NSR Stage 2) cams
Custom tune

This combo will work best with 3.73 axle gears.

I agree that N/A cars are cooler and a true hotrodder tries to extract as much torque as possible across the widest possible rpm range from a N/A engine.
That said, there are intercooled blower set ups (e.g. Magnacharger, Edelbrock E-Force) that produce very little whine, a shedload of torque from 2000-6500rpm, and a safe 400-410rwhp (stock exhaust system) with just 6-7psi of boost so they're worth consideration. They also look very sanitary under the hood and you'd think they were factory fitted.
Thank you very much for your suggestions and reasoning. I did consider the edelbrock e force blower because you can't get any cool cobra jet style blowers for the 3 valve.

Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKoser06 View Post
Thank you very much for your suggestions and reasoning. I did consider the edelbrock e force blower because you can't get any cool cobra jet style blowers for the 3 valve.
Look into Department of Boost (DOB) for a blower.

2008 GT/CS Auto Ė Mods Courtesy: AeroForce, Agent 47, Air Lift Performance, American Racing Headers, Auto Meter, Axle Exchange, Baer, BMR Suspensions, CPC, Canton, Covercraft, Cervini's Auto Design, DaSilva Racing, DiabloSport, FRPP, Fore Precision, JLT Perf, Kirban Perf, Lube Locker, Magnaflow, Maximum Motorsports, Moroso, Nitto, Performance Automatic, Pioneer, Raxiom, Royal Purple, Russell Perf, SCT, Shelby Perf Parts, SOS, Stack Racing, Steeda, StopTech, TA Perf, TCI Auto, UPR & Vortech
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I went FRPP.
I have an auto and she's old..

I did everything else first.
It's a wee bit softer down low.
Around 3k, it just starts pulling.
I like them for a DD/cruiser.

Easy install, about 4 hours with smoke breaks, eating lunch.

Not the best of the bunch in any way.
But fit my application.

I will say there is a slight surge.
Nothing bad.
No RPM fluctuation, it just wants to keep going when you come to a stop.
A little extra brake pressure or click it to neutral.
Past that.
I can't complain.

Food for thought
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page