WTF? Engine dies for no reason - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Angry WTF? Engine dies for no reason

So here we go the most WTF moment ever. I have a 2006 GT and for I have no idea why the engine dies every time it hits about 208 deg F. I can drive long trips no prob so long as I keep moving and it stays cool. But in traffic or at a signal it hist about that temp and bam dies. When dead it'll crank but not fire. When it does start back up again its because it has cooled off and is under that temp and I can drive again. Since it is a heat related issue not a time issue I am wondering if it could be the crank position sensor, (do we have those or only the cam position sensors)? My thought is that when it gets too warm the electronics in some random sensor overheat and fail until cooled. Seriously though I was at a shop the last 3 days and they are all scratching their heads in wonder. First it was thought to be a car alarm related issue since I have a Viper remote start but it is not time based I just drove 1 hour and no problem, and all the viper electronics are under the dash and i had the heater on full blast to keep the engine cool so the inside of the car was hot as hell. Any ideas from yall?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Im not sure if its the answer to your problem but yes we do have crank position sensor. and a bad one give the same condition of crank but no start, but it sounds like you knew that already based on your post. its a cheap enough part to start with In my opinion.

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Pa...&model=Mustang

also....do you recon you might have another wiring crimped or cut problem from the clutch install? maybe worth a peek

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I was thinking sensor because I have a reasonable amount of computer electronics experience and it sounds reasonable. but now I heard that there might be something in my sct tune that has a fail-safe for overheating. So I'm gonna call sct and ask about that before I go spending money on parts.
Also thanks because that page showed where the damn crank sensor is located too.
And after my trans fiasco I went through that whole thing with a fine tooth comb just to make sure there is nothing else of the sort.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

no problem, hope you get it sorted soon, dont forget to post back when you do.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016
GT Member

Possible fuel pump issue?

2005 black GT premium (5spd) / GT500 front LCA/upper strut mounts / Koni Adjustable (yellow)shocks with Roush Springs / FRPP 4:10 rear gear / BMR rear UCA/LCA+relocation brackets / MGW Shifter / Bassani axle backs / Cervinis heat extractor hood and Ducktail spoiler / Carroll Shelby CS69 20x9/20x10 wheels / MSD Blaster 2 coils / Roush TVS2300 Supercharger+Brenspeed 560R upgrade / Exedy Mach 500 Stage 3 Clutch / Exedy lightweight flywheel / SR Performance braided stainless clutch Line / Afco Dual Fan Heat Exchanger upgrade / JLT Catch Can / Axle Exchange one piece aluminum DS / Silly grin on my face every time I turn the key.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmukri View Post
So here we go the most WTF moment ever. I have a 2006 GT and for I have no idea why the engine dies every time it hits about 208 deg F. I can drive long trips no prob so long as I keep moving and it stays cool. But in traffic or at a signal it hist about that temp and bam dies. When dead it'll crank but not fire. When it does start back up again its because it has cooled off and is under that temp and I can drive again. Since it is a heat related issue not a time issue I am wondering if it could be the crank position sensor, (do we have those or only the cam position sensors)? My thought is that when it gets too warm the electronics in some random sensor overheat and fail until cooled.
I think you've hit the nail on the head.
The pushrod 5.0 engine in the Fox & SN95 doesn't have a crank position sensor but it does have a Hall Effect PIP (profile ignition pickup) sensor inside the distributor that acts as a cam position sensor. When that begins to fail, it's also heat-related and the symptoms are exactly the same (random stalling, crank but no start).

2006 GT Deluxe - 5MT - 12.50 @ 109.61
314rwhp 330rwtq with basic bolt-ons
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Well not this morning the car will just crank without turning over. It is getting fuel and compression but no spark. so im going to replace the crank sensor and see if that works. If not what other areas should I check?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

So I got the crank sensor changed and it eventually fired up. But every time I try and fire it up it basically floods and I have to crank forever. But when it's running the exhaust smells fine. This seems like a tune issue but the guy at the shop is out till Monday. Is there anyway to adjust the fuel myself with my sct xf3
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmukri View Post
So I got the crank sensor changed and it eventually fired up. But every time I try and fire it up it basically floods and I have to crank forever. But when it's running the exhaust smells fine. This seems like a tune issue but the guy at the shop is out till Monday. Is there anyway to adjust the fuel myself with my sct xf3

how long have you been running the tune? and has it always done this on that tune?

if its been running fine before, i suggest cleaning the MAF sensor, you may be dumping fuel at start because of a bad reading.
Apprentice

Check Fuse #47 in the underhood fuse box, or better yet just replace it. I once had an issue where once the car got hot, the engine would just shut off, even at speed. Throw it in neutral to keep it rolling and it would start right back up with the key. After doing that for awhile, it started to refuse to start back up even when it had cooled off. The fuse must have had a tiny crack in the beginning which expanded when it got hot, breaking the connection. There was no obvious evidence of the fuse being bad until the point where it would not start back up - that's when a teeny tiny burn spot became visible. Replaced the fuse and it has been fine for months now.

2009 GT , Brenspeed B326, Stage 1 heads, E-Force - 633 rwhp / 623 rwtq

2016 Ecoboost Premium, Bama Tune, JLT CAI, CPE Charge pipes, Mishimoto Intercooler, Tial BOV, Turbosmart 10psi Wastegate Actuator, 3" Downpipe, JMS Boostmax & Pedalmax, FRPP Borla Touring Axlebacks
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkboy316 View Post

how long have you been running the tune? and has it always done this on that tune?

if its been running fine before, i suggest cleaning the MAF sensor, you may be dumping fuel at start because of a bad reading.
I've had the tune for 3 days and the starting/flooding problem began with the tune. I've not been able to replicate the engine cutting of for some time now. My only problem now is the tune I think. I have 60# injectors but only need them to run at 40# I'm pretty sure the tune guy has them set at 60. So on Monday when he gets me a new tune turning down the power of the injectors I'm thinking it'll be ok.
But also it only has a hard time starting when cold. I'm pretty sure this is the fuel injection version of a choke spitting all that gas in there. And that would explain why it starts fine once the engine is warm. So yea I have hypothesised the injectors are spitting too much gas in there.
Apprentice

Sounds like it needs to be tuned in a dyno or it's going to be a problem child. With 60# injectors you can pretty much give up on have decent street manners. Race cars make terrible daily drivers. I've turned wrenches on some pretty hot mustangs so I feel my opinion has some merit. I wish the best of luck to you.
Rookie

I would put my money on a coolant temp sensor, just an opinion from what your saying some fords have issues staying running because of the temp sensor sending false info to the ecu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page