Exhaust reviews - why the vast difference? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Exhaust reviews - why the vast difference?

So I'm looking at the Pypes Pype-Bomb axelback for my 10 GT 5spd. My only worry is highway cruising as this is my daily driver and I spend a lot of time on the highway.

So I am reading a lot of reviews to get a feel for what other owners think. I read a dozen or so great reviews, people love them, then I get one or 2 that say the drone is so bad it will make you deaf.

Whats up with that? Is it just a difference in peoples perspective/expectation, or other mods contributing to the difference?

2010 GT Premium 5-speed w/ 3.73 - Acquired 08-2015

Pypes PypeBomb Axlebacks - MGW Shifter - BMR TCA032 LCA's - J&M Adj. UCA & Mount - BFG Comp 2 A/S - Powerstop Z26 Street Warrior Brake Kit -
Hoonigan & Rockstar Stickers (Worth 50hp right there)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
It seems to be opinion for the most part. I run MAC Boomtubes(almost the same as the Bomb), some people say they might drone some on the highway going up a hill or something, but I say that the exhaust would just get louder going up a hill due to more power being used on the hill. Some people only want to hear the exhaust while getting on the throttle and little to no sound while cruising so they can hear their radio clearly, whereas I like to ride with the radio off and HEAR my darling car sing to me. Some people would say that "drone" is being able to hear the exhaust while driving at 65.

As far as drone making you deaf, no I doubt it lol. But if you're worried about noise at highway speeds then you might want to consider some Flowmaster American Thunders or a similar design that's a little quieter. The straight flow design like the Bomb, SLP Loudmouths, and Boomtubes are loud at idle, on the throttle, and on the highway, but not enough that you can't hear the radio and talk to someone without yelling. My Boomtubes are fairly quiet while highwaying, I can talk on the phone and hear fine, I can talk with my wife just fine assuming I can get her to ride with me, I can hear the radio just fine, and I can hear other cars around me just fine. The only actual "drone" (using the definition of drone) is when I'm on the highway and I'm under more power like going up a hill or speeding up to pass someone in high gear, even then the drone is not deafening, and it doesn't really affect how good you can hear whatever audible noises that you're wanting to hear at the time.

I hope that helps!

MaDDMaNN, Pipes and BGowland like this.

INSTAGRAM --@allen_nightmare5oh
2014 5.0 6R80 - Mods - Bama Tune, Roush Axle Backs. - 1/4 Mile - 12.56 @ 116.8

2005 GT 5-spd - Mods - JLT 3 Intake, Bama 93 Tune, MAC Boomtubes. - 1/4 Mile - 13.28 @106 --- SOLD!!
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016
GT Member

Odds are, it has to do a lot with driving styles. If you're staying outside of the drone range a lot (i.e., around town, not at 1800-2300 rpms), you won't have a drone issue and will just have a deep, loud exhaust. But for those of us who spend a decent bit of time in 5th gear between 55-80 will definitely be driven up the wall.

Current:
2007 Mustang GT 302 stroker 6060 swap, 3.73 gears, Hidden Hitch Receiver, Barton Short Throw, JBA LTs, Borla Touring Axle Back, Lito tuned SCT X4. BMR SP009, Bilsteins, J&M CC plates, J&M LCAs. 4 Piston Brembos
DOB GT450 with VMP Gen II 2.3 TVS | 13/14 GT500 HE & IWP | GT500 hat & DW340s | FRPP 52lb | CMS Stage 2 Blower Cams | Comp 113 Springs & Retainers | 8 rib conversion | Track Spec GT500 Vents | PTFE Heat Barriers

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I feel like I say this each time I read a what exhaust or similar thread. I think Ford Racing needs to cut me a check for advertising. haha

FR500S is the way to go! LOUD when you want and it and quite at cruising speeds.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Thanks for this info. I do want to hear the engine/exhaust, and like a good rumble. Still doesn't make my decision any easier, but at least I can take this into account when I am researching. My son named my car Nasty Nellie so I would like the sound to match the name a bit haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfederateJoe View Post
It seems to be opinion for the most part. I run MAC Boomtubes(almost the same as the Bomb), some people say they might drone some on the highway going up a hill or something, but I say that the exhaust would just get louder going up a hill due to more power being used on the hill. Some people only want to hear the exhaust while getting on the throttle and little to no sound while cruising so they can hear their radio clearly, whereas I like to ride with the radio off and HEAR my darling car sing to me. Some people would say that "drone" is being able to hear the exhaust while driving at 65.

As far as drone making you deaf, no I doubt it lol. But if you're worried about noise at highway speeds then you might want to consider some Flowmaster American Thunders or a similar design that's a little quieter. The straight flow design like the Bomb, SLP Loudmouths, and Boomtubes are loud at idle, on the throttle, and on the highway, but not enough that you can't hear the radio and talk to someone without yelling. My Boomtubes are fairly quiet while highwaying, I can talk on the phone and hear fine, I can talk with my wife just fine assuming I can get her to ride with me, I can hear the radio just fine, and I can hear other cars around me just fine. The only actual "drone" (using the definition of drone) is when I'm on the highway and I'm under more power like going up a hill or speeding up to pass someone in high gear, even then the drone is not deafening, and it doesn't really affect how good you can hear whatever audible noises that you're wanting to hear at the time.

I hope that helps!

Pypes PypeBomb Axlebacks - MGW Shifter - BMR TCA032 LCA's - J&M Adj. UCA & Mount - BFG Comp 2 A/S - Powerstop Z26 Street Warrior Brake Kit -
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangLife View Post
I feel like I say this each time I read a what exhaust or similar thread. I think Ford Racing needs to cut me a check for advertising. haha

FR500S is the way to go! LOUD when you want and it and quite at cruising speeds.

I keep hearing good things about those.

INSTAGRAM --@allen_nightmare5oh
2014 5.0 6R80 - Mods - Bama Tune, Roush Axle Backs. - 1/4 Mile - 12.56 @ 116.8

2005 GT 5-spd - Mods - JLT 3 Intake, Bama 93 Tune, MAC Boomtubes. - 1/4 Mile - 13.28 @106 --- SOLD!!
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016
GT Member

Really I think people have varying opinions on what is too much drone. I know mine has some on the highway. I actually feel like mine is worse at 2500 RPM and better down closer to 2100-2200 RPM (which is something like 80 mph vs 70-ish, respectively). I figure as long as my wife doesn't complain about it I'm good, and she hasn't yet

'05 Mustang GT Premium
CMS Stage 1 cams, C&L Racer, Lito tune, Jeg's oil sep, CMDP, SR UDP's, JBA stainless LT's & catted H, Magnaflow resonators, MBRP axle back, BMR springs, Koni STR.T, BMR LCA's & backets, J&M upper & mount, J&M Al panhard, DIY panhard brace, Steeda Tri-Ax, smoked corners, Raxiom Vector tails, Brembos, S550 GT Premium wheels, 2010+ door panels
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
I was hoping to stay under $400, so that knocks out the FR500's for me. That's why the Pype-Bomb's looked appealing. MBRP's axle back looks good too. Great price point, and would be a bit quieter than the bomb's.

I know, I know, wait to get what will work best. I do like the mean loud sound. I want it to scream when I'm on it.... If money were no object the Borla Atak's might be under my car. I wonder if there is anyone in the Seattle area who has a loud exhaust I could go for a ride with????

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016
GT Member

I ran MBRP's axle back for a year or so. It looks good and fits good, if you can find a deal on one go for it (and IMO it would probably fit a lot better than the Pypes). It's been so long since I had the factory cats on my car I can barely remember, but I do recall it sounded good outside the car but was not bad at all inside the car. Pretty mellow for a straight through axle back until you get on it, then it barks!

I do have a video of my car from back when I had the factory cats with the MBRP's...just idle and revving, but I'll post it if you're interested (I'm at work, can't get the link right now, youtube is blocked)

'05 Mustang GT Premium
CMS Stage 1 cams, C&L Racer, Lito tune, Jeg's oil sep, CMDP, SR UDP's, JBA stainless LT's & catted H, Magnaflow resonators, MBRP axle back, BMR springs, Koni STR.T, BMR LCA's & backets, J&M upper & mount, J&M Al panhard, DIY panhard brace, Steeda Tri-Ax, smoked corners, Raxiom Vector tails, Brembos, S550 GT Premium wheels, 2010+ door panels
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfederateJoe View Post
I keep hearing good things about those.
They are hands down the best exhaust I have ever owned and worth every penny. ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGowland View Post
I was hoping to stay under $400, so that knocks out the FR500's for me. That's why the Pype-Bomb's looked appealing. MBRP's axle back looks good too. Great price point, and would be a bit quieter than the bomb's.

I know, I know, wait to get what will work best. I do like the mean loud sound. I want it to scream when I'm on it.... If money were no object the Borla Atak's might be under my car. I wonder if there is anyone in the Seattle area who has a loud exhaust I could go for a ride with????
Yeah I mean the FR500S are a little over the $400 budget, but look on eBay and see what you can find. With AM they are on sale now and combined with the forum discount it will help get you closer to your $400 target.

I will say it is LOUD at WOT and quiet when you are just on the HWY cursing with is the perfect combo. It sounds like what you want and it sounds like what most people prefer, just like you they see the price and look for something cheeper and try to justify. Only I am VERY glad I gave it a second thought and spent a little over budget and got them. 0 regrets on my purchase and after install I never looked back.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghunt View Post
I ran MBRP's axle back for a year or so. It looks good and fits good, if you can find a deal on one go for it (and IMO it would probably fit a lot better than the Pypes). It's been so long since I had the factory cats on my car I can barely remember, but I do recall it sounded good outside the car but was not bad at all inside the car. Pretty mellow for a straight through axle back until you get on it, then it barks!

I do have a video of my car from back when I had the factory cats with the MBRP's...just idle and revving, but I'll post it if you're interested (I'm at work, can't get the link right now, youtube is blocked)
A link to that video would be great. Thanks.

The MBRP's are back on the top of my list. Man, I just wish I could ride in a car with Pype-bombs. I did test drive an 06 GT when I was looking for my 10. It had some forms of Pypes on it because I saw the name on the tips. And crap it was so loud it scared my son! hahah. I couldn't get on it too much cause it was so loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangLife View Post
They are hands down the best exhaust I have ever owned and worth every penny. ha

Yeah I mean the FR500S are a little over the $400 budget, but look on eBay and see what you can find. With AM they are on sale now and combined with the forum discount it will help get you closer to your $400 target.

I will say it is LOUD at WOT and quiet when you are just on the HWY cursing with is the perfect combo. It sounds like what you want and it sounds like what most people prefer, just like you they see the price and look for something cheeper and try to justify. Only I am VERY glad I gave it a second thought and spent a little over budget and got them. 0 regrets on my purchase and after install I never looked back.
Thanks for the info. I want to rev it and have people look. Or when I start it to have people say "WTF was that".. haha, childish eh? But oh so fun

SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Back to the original question, I think it is two things:

1) some people just always say that whatever they have is great, couldn't admit a bad purchase if it bit them on the nose

2) some people just plain like loud, and are not bothered by the drone

And yeah I have the FR500S mufflers and they are just right.
jlee910 likes this.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Man, I just wish I could ride in a car with Pype-bombs.
My wife and test drove a 2007 with headers and Pype-bombs. Problem with that car was the Police could here you coming when you got on it. We could hardly talk while riding down the highway. Was just too much.

We bought a 2010 Gt with stock exhaust. Christmas brought a set of Pype's Violators - a chambered muffler. Nice sound for the price. Planning on headers down the road and I think the combination will be perfect for us. Can say that at WOT it sounds like the muscle car it is...

If I were rich I might have opted for Corsa.

One thing about the Violators that surprised me was the increase in power I felt. Axlebacks are not supposed to give you any increase in horsepower. But I felt the same increase I have felt with my UDP and CMDPs - that would equate to 6-10 rwhp. I would expect the Pype Bombs to do the same.

DT

2010 GT Premium / Automatic / RapidSpec 401A Leather Interior / MMD Decklid Panel / MMD Classic Quarter Window Louvers / MMD Black Tail Light Trim / GT500 Splash Guards / GT Valve Caps / FRPP GT500 Brake Cooling Shields / FRPP-SVT GT500 Cooling Fan / Steeda LCAs / Whiteline Front Sway, RTR Rear / Whiteline Adj Panhard / Redline Hood Struts / JLT Oil Separator / JLT Series 3 Cold Air Intake / Pypes O/R X-pipe / Pypes Violators Axelbacks / Steeda UDP / Steeda CMDPlugs / Brenspeed Tune
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt2010gt View Post
. . . . Problem with that car was the Police could here you coming when you got on it. . . . .
LOL, yeah the FR500S is like that . . . that is the only drawback, they are quite loud in heavy throttle / high RPM . . . also kinda puts a damper on spirited driving on the residential country back roads around here.

But at light throttle cruising they fade into the background and no drone at all.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I want to rev it and have people look. Or when I start it to have people say "WTF was that".. haha, childish eh? But oh so fun
The FR500S is exactly that. When you rev up the car it is LOUD. Anything above 3-4K+ and 50-60%+ throttle and it is REALLY LOUD. When it first starts up I always get people looking around. I have a remote start so I love starting when I am walking to the car and watching everybody especially car people looking for where it is. haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
LOL, yeah the FR500S is like that . . . that is the only drawback, they are quite loud in heavy throttle / high RPM . . . also kinda puts a damper on spirited driving on the residential country back roads around here.

But at light throttle cruising they fade into the background and no drone at all.
Great explanation.

Current Garage
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page