Signs of cam phaser failure - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Signs of cam phaser failure

What typically goes bad with camshaft phasers? (Besides it completely falling apart) I'm going to take off my drivers valve cover this weekend and inspect the phaser, so I want to know ahead of time what I need to look out for. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

In case I need to replace one of the cam phasers, how dependable is a garden hose going to be instead of the timing chain wedge as far as preventing the chains from moving? The last thing I want to have happen is having a quick 20 minute inspection turning into an entire weekend of resetting the timing.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016
GT Member

A thick rubber fuel line (like 3/8") would work much better than a garden hose. I haven't dealt with phaser issues, so I'm sorry I can't help you out there.

Current:
2007 Mustang GT 302 stroker 6060 swap, 3.73 gears, Hidden Hitch Receiver, Barton Short Throw, JBA LTs, Borla Touring Axle Back, Lito tuned SCT X4. BMR SP009, Bilsteins, J&M CC plates, J&M LCAs. 4 Piston Brembos
DOB GT450 with VMP Gen II 2.3 TVS | 13/14 GT500 HE & IWP | GT500 hat & DW340s | FRPP 52lb | CMS Stage 2 Blower Cams | Comp 113 Springs & Retainers | 8 rib conversion | Track Spec GT500 Vents | PTFE Heat Barriers

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016
Apprentice

What goes wrong really depends. 3v motors had several design flaws which can cause a multitude of failures.

The oil pump rear cover fails and this causes low oil pressure. This can cause less pressure up to the top of the motor causing cam journal scoring. It also causes a lack of pressure to the chain tensioners which can result in timing cover damage, broken plastic chain guides, plastic debris in the oil pickup and pan and jumped time..

The original timing chain tensioner had a habit of popping the seal in the back of them causing oil and oil pressure loss. The result is loose chains, jumped time, damaged guides and cam journal scoring.

Since the phasers are at the "end of the line" so to speak. The can be damaged several ways and not necessarily related to the above issues.
Typically, the roll pins holding the trigger wheel on shear, the main pin on the rear of the phaser can also shear. Lack of oil to the phaser due to clogged oil passages, low oil pressure etc, can cause a clacking sound like a diesel makes. But this sound is mostly due to the lack of oil getting into the phasers due to low pressure, low volume, clogged VVT selenoid screens or a bad selenoid. The oil passages related to these components are very small and must be cleaned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page