Pinion Seal leak?? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Pinion Seal leak??

I found some threads re: pinion seal but didn't see any pics. When I did my 40k oil change everything was dry. Yesterday during my 45k change I see oil, and one drop getting ready to come off the diff.

From the pics I am pretty sure its the pinion seal, and the oil is getting blown back. There was also some on both exhaust pipes so I am guessing some is getting slung when the DS is rotating.

Is this a pretty clear pinion seal leak? If so is this a do it yourself kind of thing (I go to a self service shop that is fully stocked and has lifts, so I would have all the tools).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160409_151701949.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	1,023.7 KB
ID:	511217   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160409_151624867.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	936.9 KB
ID:	511225   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160409_151616955.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	661.4 KB
ID:	511233   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160409_151604578.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	851.6 KB
ID:	511241  

2010 GT Premium 5-speed w/ 3.73 - Acquired 08-2015

Pypes PypeBomb Axlebacks - MGW Shifter - BMR TCA032 LCA's - J&M Adj. UCA & Mount - BFG Comp 2 A/S - Powerstop Z26 Street Warrior Brake Kit -
Hoonigan & Rockstar Stickers (Worth 50hp right there)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016
PONY Member

Looks to be the pinion seal to me. Mine went out last year or so. It can be done as an "in-vehicle repair". Ford Service Manuals - IN-VEHICLE REPAIR I would think a fully equipped shop would have the necessary tools. The hardest part is breaking the pinion nut loose. Definitely get a cheater pipe. I did mine on jack stands and get that nut loose was a PITA laying on my back. Do not use an impact. As you'll want to keep track of the number of revolutions the nut takes to come off.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGowland View Post
Is this a pretty clear pinion seal leak?
Definitely. Your assessment is spot on and yes, it's potentially a DIY repair if you have access to a lift and the proper tools. Mark the position of the pinion retaining nut before you remove it so that when you torque it down again afterwards, you get it in the same place.

2006 GT Deluxe - 5MT - 12.50 @ 109.61
314rwhp 330rwtq with basic bolt-ons

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016
Apprentice

Mine did the same thing around 25K. I just had a local transmission shop replace it. It only $150 and took them about an hour. I knew the mechanics were mostly mustang guys so I felt comfortable leaving it in their hands. Is it a diy? I am not sure. I usually do any add-ons or maintenance I can but with this being the driveline I figured leave it up to someone with the proper tools and experience. No issues since.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Ya, I think for that price it would be best to have a pro do it.

Does anyone know of a good shop in the Seattle area?

Bill

Pypes PypeBomb Axlebacks - MGW Shifter - BMR TCA032 LCA's - J&M Adj. UCA & Mount - BFG Comp 2 A/S - Powerstop Z26 Street Warrior Brake Kit -
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016
GT Member
2.3L Member
S197 Member

Garage
is your axle vent plugged? could be building up pressure in the housing and the pinion seal is point of least resistance. I ordered the "turkey baster" axle vent. when I removed the factory vent, there was definite exhaust of pressure and my car was cold, sitting in the garage, not driven in a few days. replace vent, clean area and keep an eye on it. could very well be the seal, but the vent is much easier and cheaper to fix and wouldn't hurt to do anyway. good luck
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
I guess I'll have to get back under it and have a look.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page