car went in limp mode - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By stlwagon

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

car went in limp mode

I was sitting a red light and when turn green I pushed the accelerator released the clutch and the car killed, started up again and would only idle with the wrench light on, was able to ease the clutch in idle and pulled into a parking lot. Let set a while started back up no problems, been running fine since, but worried it will happen again, anyone experience anything like this before?

2008 Black Mustang GT/CS, 5 speed manual, G/T appearance package, FRPP 4.10 gears, Charcoal Aluminum interior panel, Interior upgrade. Roush TVS stage 1 SC , Stang Hi dyno-jet 93 Oct tune, Pypes LT's X-pipes and delete mufflers, MGW shifter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Sounds like you have a problem either with the throttle position sensor or the accelerator position sensor.
Pull the fault codes from the ECU and see what you find.

2006 GT Deluxe - 5MT - 12.50 @ 109.61
314rwhp 330rwtq with basic bolt-ons
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt95 View Post
Sounds like you have a problem either with the throttle position sensor or the accelerator position sensor.
Pull the fault codes from the ECU and see what you find.
Concur... My bet would be TPS or throttle motor. I've found the failsafe almost always relates to a throttle body issue.

1965 Mustang Coupe

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

got no code only happened once, thanks for the suggestion, guess I will be changing throttle body sensor soon

2008 Black Mustang GT/CS, 5 speed manual, G/T appearance package, FRPP 4.10 gears, Charcoal Aluminum interior panel, Interior upgrade. Roush TVS stage 1 SC , Stang Hi dyno-jet 93 Oct tune, Pypes LT's X-pipes and delete mufflers, MGW shifter.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by calspcl View Post
got no code only happened once, thanks for the suggestion, guess I will be changing throttle body sensor soon
Make sure you follow the procedures to check your existing TPS voltage before pulling off the old one.

CHECKING TPS VOLTAGE
To check the TPS voltage you must have a DIGITAL voltmeter.
1. LEAVE THE THROTTLE BODY MOTOR UNPLUGGED (the small connector on the driver side of the throttle body).
2. Ground the black wire of your meter and poke the probe of the red wire on the meter into the YELLOW wire of the TPS sensor which is the bottom wire on the plug located on the passenger side of the throttle body. You DO NOT need to break the wire to read voltage. The best way to probe the yellow wire is to poke the probe into the plastic harness plug (while it’s plugged in to the TPS). You will need to penetrate the blue insulator the goes around the end of the yellow wire (hidden inside the harness plug) to reach the bare metal end of the yellow wire. Touch the probe to the bare metal end of the yellow wire
3. Turn the ignition to the ON position but do not start the car.
4. Read the meter display. You should see a voltage reading between 1.19-1.31 volts. Write the voltage down.
5. Now install new TPS sensor and repeat 1-4. Try to get as close as possible to the original reading by following the steps below.

ADJUSTING TPS VOLTAGE
1. With your meter still connected, loosen the mounting screws on the TPS sensor and gently rotate it until the desired voltage is achieved. Then tighten the screws.
2. Once the desired voltage is achieved, plug the throttle body motor in.
3. Turn the ignition key to the OFF position, then cycle the ignition key from the ON position 4 times to allow the car to "self check" the throttle body and sensors for proper operation.
If the throttle body voltage and senors are correct then the CHECK ENGINE and FAILSAFE warnings should be gone when you turn the key on for the 4th time..
Longtooth likes this.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016
Rookie

I have sort of a similar problem...
When I drove off the Autobahn and stopped at the crossing, the engine just died without me even realizing it, no ignition lights went on. The car started without problems and I drove off. Happened twice last year. Then, on a day in fall, I drove to a meeting point with other car buffs about 4 or 5mi from where I live. Parked the car for about half an hour and when driving to the next point, it behaved like if it was in cruise control mode. When I moved my foot off the pedal, it just kept going with the same speed and got slower only when I hit the brakes. Later on, after it was parked for about 3hrs, it died twice before I could drive off from where I was, only to have the wrench light go on about 10 minutes later. When I hit the clutch, the engine died instantly but then started again without problems. An error was shown in the display but I don't remember what it said. Back home, I pluged in my Diablosports Tuner and read out the error codes (which I have noted somewhere but can't find the darn sheet right now). Anyway, the codes said it had something to do with either the throttle position sensor or the gas pedal sensor. Also, in stand, the RPM of the engine change from 800 to 500, going up and down. On other days however, it remains steady @ 800 rpm.
Went to see a local Ford Dealer here in Switzerland then, strangely, apart from the two errors I could find, he had about 3 pages full of error messages on his laptop and therefore couldn't really find the culprit. He deleted the error codes and since then, the problem disappeared until today when I went to a US car meeting. After driving off, rolling at very low speed due to the crowds, the engine again died all of a sudden and I had to restart again. Normally the car always starts again without problem, but it's somewhat annoying not to know when it might breakdown, so I want to fix the problem but I can't be 100% sure that it's the TPS only.
Have some of you guys had similar problems like I described and how did you solve it?
Thanks for your help and advice.
Cheers
Peach
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peach View Post
I have sort of a similar problem...
When I drove off the Autobahn and stopped at the crossing, the engine just died without me even realizing it, no ignition lights went on. The car started without problems and I drove off. Happened twice last year. Then, on a day in fall, I drove to a meeting point with other car buffs about 4 or 5mi from where I live. Parked the car for about half an hour and when driving to the next point, it behaved like if it was in cruise control mode. When I moved my foot off the pedal, it just kept going with the same speed and got slower only when I hit the brakes. Later on, after it was parked for about 3hrs, it died twice before I could drive off from where I was, only to have the wrench light go on about 10 minutes later. When I hit the clutch, the engine died instantly but then started again without problems. An error was shown in the display but I don't remember what it said. Back home, I pluged in my Diablosports Tuner and read out the error codes (which I have noted somewhere but can't find the darn sheet right now). Anyway, the codes said it had something to do with either the throttle position sensor or the gas pedal sensor. Also, in stand, the RPM of the engine change from 800 to 500, going up and down. On other days however, it remains steady @ 800 rpm.
Went to see a local Ford Dealer here in Switzerland then, strangely, apart from the two errors I could find, he had about 3 pages full of error messages on his laptop and therefore couldn't really find the culprit. He deleted the error codes and since then, the problem disappeared until today when I went to a US car meeting. After driving off, rolling at very low speed due to the crowds, the engine again died all of a sudden and I had to restart again. Normally the car always starts again without problem, but it's somewhat annoying not to know when it might breakdown, so I want to fix the problem but I can't be 100% sure that it's the TPS only.
Have some of you guys had similar problems like I described and how did you solve it?
Thanks for your help and advice.
Cheers
Peach

Usually it's either a dirty throttle body or TPS that throws a wrench light and drops you into limp mode.

It's cheap and easy to remove and clean the throttle body and clean the electrical connections and the MAF first.

A new TPS is $50, but you're in the EU sooo it's likely more..

2010 Grabber Blue Mustang GT, Forged 4.6L Roush TVS and other stuff ... The modding shall never end ...

Wife's car ... 2014 Sterling Gray Premium GT 401A, stock for now ..
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016
Rookie

Thanks for your reply... when I went to the Dealership to have this checked, they already cleaned the electrical connections, so connectivity of the TPS shouldn't be a problem.
Surprised to see a new TPS is 50 bucks, is that an original one? When I checked with Galpin in LA last year I was told that the TPS was something around 140 bucks or so. Guess it's not available in Europe anyway ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page