When to Replace PCV Valve? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Any Suggestions? When to Replace PCV Valve?

As posted in another thread, my 06 GT started sporadically making a screeching sound after I monkeyed around with the driver's side PCV hoses. Is this a possible sign that the PCV valve needs replacing? I've double and triple checked all hoses and I can't find a leak.

06 Mustang GT, Hurst short throw, Flowmasters, Steeda adj suspension system w/ Tokicko D-Specs, LCA's, panhard bar w/ brace, FRPP sway bars & Steeda endlinks, Steeda CAI, 18" deep dish bullitts w/ Nitto's (275's & 255's), CDC chin spoiler, Webasto power moon roof, MagnaCharger, Comp Cams XFI Stage 2 NSR cams, 4.10's, JBA Cat4Ward headers, Shaft Masters 3.5" al DS, MAC Prochamber, FRPP 62mm TB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016
PONY Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to night rider
You don't have a pcv valve on the 4.6 3V

Bought New 05 Black GT coupe / TR-3650 / C&L Racer c.a.i / 94 custom race tune / Barton shifter / Exedy Mach 500 clutch / Ram billet steel flywheel / Ford racing stainless steel hard clutch line / 2014 GT500 forged aluminum clutch m.c/ Napa premium grade front l.c.a / Baer slotted cross-drilled front rotors / Roush pedal kit / AutoMeter Digital voltmeter / Compustar Pro 2 way Security system.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by night rider View Post
OK, thanks for info. Guess I'll have to keep looking for source of screeching sound.

06 Mustang GT, Hurst short throw, Flowmasters, Steeda adj suspension system w/ Tokicko D-Specs, LCA's, panhard bar w/ brace, FRPP sway bars & Steeda endlinks, Steeda CAI, 18" deep dish bullitts w/ Nitto's (275's & 255's), CDC chin spoiler, Webasto power moon roof, MagnaCharger, Comp Cams XFI Stage 2 NSR cams, 4.10's, JBA Cat4Ward headers, Shaft Masters 3.5" al DS, MAC Prochamber, FRPP 62mm TB.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016
Rookie

Maybe a vacuum leak?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Blackie View Post
Maybe a vacuum leak?
Yeah, it was a vacuum leak. The 90 degree PCV connector on top of the driver's side valve cover was bad. I completely removed it and installed a piece of hose then a 90 degree elbow with hose clamps in it's place. End of screeching sound!

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016
Rookie

Great! Do we know if this engine pulls a vacuum on the crankcase? i.e. no valve, maybe an orifice to limit flow
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
Yes you do. It's built into the DS valve cover.

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqidd View Post
Sqidd....is it the 90 degree black plastic connector that sets on top of the DS valve cover? If it is, any problems operating car without it? As stated earlier in thread, I removed it and replaced it with hose and clamps.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016
PONY Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to night rider
Quote:
There is no actual PVC valve like the V6 has But you are totally right sqidd inside that steel fitting on the DS valve cover there is something inside, i hook up a 5/8 hose to it and could not blow through the hose something inside is closing the passage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1465933454940.jpg
Views:	884
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	524498  

Bought New 05 Black GT coupe / TR-3650 / C&L Racer c.a.i / 94 custom race tune / Barton shifter / Exedy Mach 500 clutch / Ram billet steel flywheel / Ford racing stainless steel hard clutch line / 2014 GT500 forged aluminum clutch m.c/ Napa premium grade front l.c.a / Baer slotted cross-drilled front rotors / Roush pedal kit / AutoMeter Digital voltmeter / Compustar Pro 2 way Security system.
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
inside that steel fitting on the DS valve cover there is something inside, i hook up a 5/8 hose to it and could not blow through the hose something inside is closing the passage.
That's the PCV valve. It's a one-way valve so it opens to vent gases if there's excessive pressure inside the crankcase, and stays closed if there's positive pressure on the other side as you'd get if you added a supercharger.

2006 GT Deluxe - 5MT - 12.50 @ 109.61
314rwhp 330rwtq with basic bolt-ons
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris D View Post
Sqidd....is it the 90 degree black plastic connector that sets on top of the DS valve cover? If it is, any problems operating car without it? As stated earlier in thread, I removed it and replaced it with hose and clamps.
It's actually IN the valve cover. The only way to get it out is to cut it out.

Quote:
There is no actual PVC valve like the V6 has But you are totally right sqidd inside that steel fitting on the DS valve cover there is something inside, i hook up a 5/8 hose to it and could not blow through the hose something inside is closing the passage.
Correct, that is the PCV valve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt95 View Post
That's the PCV valve. It's a one-way valve so it opens to vent gases if there's excessive pressure inside the crankcase, and stays closed if there's positive pressure on the other side as you'd get if you added a supercharger.
Not an issue with a PD blower. The valve only sees vacuum.

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Not an issue with a PD blower. The valve only sees vacuum.
You're right. I should have specified centrifugal supercharger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page