2006 Mustang GT... Do I need to upgrade valve springs with a competition stage 2 cam? - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

What did the stage II's dyno?

What did the stage II's dyno?

How do they feel, e/t?

NO N2O, NO boost, ALL N/Asty! (for now...)

12.05 @ 117.05
320hp/291tq Mustang Dyno
FRPP intake, Livernois stage II heads, Comp stage II VSR, 39lbinj., TR6060, 4.56, GT500tb...
Pics/Mods list/Vids: search Chad05gt on youtube & cardomain
302 shortblock on its way; 67mm PH turbo, 80lb inj., GT500 pumps, eBoost2, ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to 05roush
where can I find more info on these more aggressive cams? I am very interested. I am more of a N/A kinda guy, I thought about going with FI in my stang but if I can find some decent cams to choose from then I will go the NA route once again. Please post some sites that are good for Long tubes and Cams. Sorry to the OP i didnt mean to hijack your thread.

2005 BLACK Mustang GT Roush #05-0090 of 204 M5,
DOB manifold, m122 SC, gt500 TB, 52lbers, KB BAP, AFCO HE
Brisk plugs, Mac Lt's, Off road x, Roush TVS CAI,
Detroit rocker sc grind cams, Brenspeed 93 tune,
10 psi (2.875" pulley) 479rwhp-433ftlbs sae
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05roush View Post
where can I find more info on these more aggressive cams? I am very interested. I am more of a N/A kinda guy, I thought about going with FI in my stang but if I can find some decent cams to choose from then I will go the NA route once again. Please post some sites that are good for Long tubes and Cams. Sorry to the OP i didnt mean to hijack your thread.
Crane and Crower both offer very aggressive cams for the S197 GT. They have some serious intake and exhaust duration and lobe separation. May cause issues with VVT though.

1965 Mustang Coupe

PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to 05roush
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
Crane and Crower both offer very aggressive cams for the S197 GT. They have some serious intake and exhaust duration and lobe separation. May cause issues with VVT though.
VVT? Please elaborate, I have been waiting for my warranty to end before I started modding so I am just now learning about my mustang. Thanks for your help though.

2005 BLACK Mustang GT Roush #05-0090 of 204 M5,
DOB manifold, m122 SC, gt500 TB, 52lbers, KB BAP, AFCO HE
Brisk plugs, Mac Lt's, Off road x, Roush TVS CAI,
Detroit rocker sc grind cams, Brenspeed 93 tune,
10 psi (2.875" pulley) 479rwhp-433ftlbs sae
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05roush View Post
VVT? Please elaborate, I have been waiting for my warranty to end before I started modding so I am just now learning about my mustang. Thanks for your help though.
Variable valve timing. It seems that really aggressive cams can play havoc with valve timing.

1965 Mustang Coupe
MACH I Member

Quote:
The springs are still the weak point. I would not change a cam without new springs & retainers.
I was reading a tech article on an install of these and the guy doing the install put it pretty well: "The stock springs/retainers are for the stock camshafts. Change them when upgrading the cams." Sounded like a good rule of thumb.

2005 Sonic Blue GT
Apprentice
S197 Member

The first time i brought up the new cam question to a local mustang shop they said that there could be emissions issues if i went to aggresive like a stage 3. Anyone had any issues with this?

2005 GT Redfire, red leather, interior upgrade package, shaker 1000,FRPP hot rod cams, JLT 2 CAI 91 octane tune, MAC axlebacks,BBK longtube headers and hi flow cats, eibach prolines, ford racing strut brace, 20" chrome eagle rims CDC classic chin spoiler, FRPP 4:10 gears, MGW shifter.
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattymustang22 View Post
The first time i brought up the new cam question to a local mustang shop they said that there could be emissions issues if i went to aggresive like a stage 3. Anyone had any issues with this?
That's the first I've heard of that.

1965 Mustang Coupe
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FREAKNAZTY
check these out no other info on these yet and havent got a chance to call jpc but these sound killer ( in case i posted the link wrong they are called hot rod cams by frpp

TOO MUCH TO LIST ......NOT ENOUGH TO BRAG ABOUT
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREAKNAZTY View Post
check these out no other info on these yet and havent got a chance to call jpc but these sound killer ( in case i posted the link wrong they are called hot rod cams by frpp
Sounds nice but if they're anything like those Blow-by Racing cams from awhile back, I'd avoid like the plague.

1965 Mustang Coupe

Quote:
Sounds nice but if they're anything like those Blow-by Racing cams from awhile back, I'd avoid like the plague.
Very true about the BBR (regrinds). I have a set and they have been nothing but a headache...can't wait to get the money to replace them with some Comp stage 3 cams
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeStonn View Post
Very true about the BBR (regrinds). I have a set and they have been nothing but a headache...can't wait to get the money to replace them with some Comp stage 3 cams
I had heard some disturbing reports about their early cams.

1965 Mustang Coupe
PONY Member

i would go with the highst they have with comp cam springs and phaser..i purchased mine from RPM outlet and they sent them in 3 weeks i cant wait to start the car and listen to this baby,,,i check comp cam site and they have a video of a mustang running with high cams and phaser
www.compcams.co/3valve ..my self i have the ones with part no:127650
GT Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TheKurgan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREAKNAZTY View Post

Bump. Anyone heard any more about these cams? Checked on the FRPP site and still don't see 'em. If not, does anyone know of a good(safe) street cam where I can get this sound? I'm all about the horsepower, but the sound is just as important!

I guess if I can't find any decent ones out there then I'll be going with the Comp cams since I haven't heard anything bad about them. Most people are saying they don't thump very much tho.

If they play, I spray.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page