2006 GT adding oil pressure and temp gauges - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

2006 GT adding oil pressure and temp gauges

Hi Everyone,

I'm planning on adding a real oil pressure gauge and oil temp gauge to my car.

My current plan is to remove the stock pressure sender/switch and replace with a VDO or autometer oil pressure sender, then install an oil temp sender in place of the drain plug, also from VDO or autometer.

Here's the temp sender: https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...-055/overview/

And the oil pressure sender https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...0905/overview/

Is the thread 1/4x18 NPT for the stock pressure sender?

I'm to ground (or bypass?) the stock pressure switch wiring to eliminate the warning light. Is this possible or will it cause the PCM to trigger a check engine light?

I know I can use an elbow and a tee and retain the stock gauge, but I don't like the idea of numerous brass fittings hanging off the oil filter adapter. It just seems like too many potential leak/failure points.

I'm open to suggestions, and if anyone has gone this route or otherwise, please chime in!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016
Apprentice

Yes simply grounding out your stock oil pressure wire will be fine, I did it on mine. Because the factory sensor is just an on off switch so you'll be ok.
For the water temp sensor the car does not have one factory. It has a head temp sensor that it "translates" into water temp. Before I installed my SC I tapped a hole in the crossover pipe on the passenger side. Worked great just make sure to either remove the pipe before tapping a 1/4" NPT or use a shitload of grease to capture all shavings from falling into the water.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmukri View Post
Yes simply grounding out your stock oil pressure wire will be fine, I did it on mine. Because the factory sensor is just an on off switch so you'll be ok.
Good to know, thanks.

So which wire did you ground? My switch has a two prong connector and I don't want to ground the wrong one.

Also, I'm installing an oil temp sensor - I'm more concerned about oil temps on track than installing a water temp sensor. These engines can withstand a total coolant loss and be fine afterwards, but prolonged elevated oil temps, I'm not so sure.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Got the gauges and sending units installed today. I went with Autometer from Summit. Used Roush gauge pods and tapped into a dimmer wire for the lighting. Looks decent and almost stock.

I had to use a 90* 1/4 NPT fitting to get the pressure sender to fit, but now the bottom of the sender is about 1/8" away from the rack and pinion lines. I tried multiple configurations, and turning the elbow to multiple positions, but this was the best I could do.

Is this going to be an issue or is this how everyone installs them? I realize the engine will rotate/torque away from the rack (i.e. towards the passenger side), but I'm a bit concerned about the small clearance.

I'll post some pics later. Thanks in advance for the input.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Are you making these changes due to the infamous instrument cluster, stepper motor failures??

There is no such thing as to much horespower..!!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWShovel View Post
Are you making these changes due to the infamous instrument cluster, stepper motor failures??
Nope, I want a real oil pressure gauge, none of the fake dummy light/fake gauge crap. GM's have real oil pressure gauges...so why don't we? Well, Ford got sick of whiners complaining about 'low' oil pressure at idle lol...

Anyways, here's a couple pics of how I installed the sender. The autometer sending unit is massive, and I'm not too happy about the proximity to the power steering pressure hose, but this was the best I could do for now, short of remote mounting the sending unit.

The engine does twist away from the pressure hose and I haven't seen any rub marks, so I guess it's okay for now, hopefully.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	297.8 KB
ID:	528194   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	528202  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page