2005 gt and hood scoop and aerodynamics. - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

2005 gt and hood scoop and aerodynamics.

OK..have decided Im going to join those poser side and add a fake hood scoop.Going with the ones where it just sticks on with 3m tape.Im not freaking drilling holes in my hood for a fake ass plastic hood scoop!!!

Question is about will this thing stay on at 75mph>or will it lift off.3M stuff is pretty strong.So will it just bend the hell out of plastic and crack.I mean air has no way out .No vent holes in back of themThat scoop is going to want lift up like a wing.

I looked for mustang wind tunnel tests to see what is happening with air as it goes over that front end of a mustang.Its basically just a brick up front.
I did find this pic..
Looks like farther back scoop is It should be to low to catch the air??Air goes over haodd and by mid hood its looks to be a good 6-8" above hood scoop location??
What you think???

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boss-302s-wind-tunnel.jpg
Views:	1006
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	532234  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

pic 2

:Just for my future reference::
http://bigmike.marlincrawler.com/for...x.php?topic=33

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	532258  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016
PONY Member

Garage
I have a 06 GT wih the looks only hood scoop from the factory I assume. It is fine at 90-100 for me. I sums it's just stuck on as I see no bolts or anything.

2006 Mustang GT Premium in Vista Blue with Light Graphite leather interior. Shaker1000 stereo, hood scoop and spoiler. Mods: 8" antenna; lower grill inserts; sequential tail lights; Hood Struts; Steeda Strut Tower Brace; Magnaflow Street Axle Backs; painted to match radiator cover and extensions; chrome engine dress-up package

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Ahh..I was looking for hood scoops on ebay and ended buying 2 of these..There like $7 a piece.
I have 6" wide racing striped going down hood.Centered stripe with windshield wiper spray.So Im going to mount then about a foot back from hood,Over the stripe. I know cheap China made and 3m tape is cheap china brand thatss ticks like chewing fum.I have some left over duplicolor perfect match and going to paint them body color.
There 7 " wide and 10" long.
They were only $7 .So $14 and free shipping...lol.

Im gonna space them a bit like this.Center them over the racing stripe.Stripe is 6" wide and scoop is 7"..

Hers a video of a guy with his $5 ebay hood scoop.Pretty much looks exactly like onee I got
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	scoop.jpeg
Views:	192
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	532282   Click image for larger version

Name:	DART-TWINSCOOPS.JPG
Views:	494
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	532290  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016
Apprentice

My 08 GT has the factory "dress up"hood scoop, which I do not like at all. In my opinion, it spoils the lines of the car. In fact, if I could find a mint Torch Red hood without the scoop, I'd try to work a trade.

-Rick

08 GT Convertible, Torch Red
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratotak View Post
OK..have decided Im going to join those poser side and add a fake hood scoop.Going with the ones where it just sticks on with 3m tape.Im not freaking drilling holes in my hood for a fake ass plastic hood scoop!!!

Question is about will this thing stay on at 75mph>or will it lift off.3M stuff is pretty strong.So will it just bend the hell out of plastic and crack.I mean air has no way out .No vent holes in back of themThat scoop is going to want lift up like a wing.
The best solution would be to mount the hood scoop as far back as possible with the opening pointing backwards. It would look like a mini cowl hood.

2006 GT Deluxe - 5MT - 12.50 @ 109.61
314rwhp 330rwtq with basic bolt-ons
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt95 View Post
The best solution would be to mount the hood scoop as far back as possible with the opening pointing backwards. It would look like a mini cowl hood.
Just picturing that in my mind sounds hideous lol

INSTAGRAM --@allen_nightmare5oh
2014 5.0 6R80 - Mods - Bama Tune, Roush Axle Backs. - 1/4 Mile - 12.56 @ 116.8

2005 GT 5-spd - Mods - JLT 3 Intake, Bama 93 Tune, MAC Boomtubes. - 1/4 Mile - 13.28 @106 --- SOLD!!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkindling View Post
My 08 GT has the factory "dress up"hood scoop, which I do not like at all. In my opinion, it spoils the lines of the car. In fact, if I could find a mint Torch Red hood without the scoop, I'd try to work a trade.
Ditto - I would ditch the scoop if I could- it has no function. It also holds water so after a wash I have to go back a few times to dry the water that runs out of the corners.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016
PONY Member

Garage
I agree, it spoils the lines of the car aesthetically. Just another opinion.

2006 GT, Strut Tower Brace, Gas Hood Struts, FR Intake Plenum cover, Metal Fuse Box cover, Moroso brake reservoir cover, Rear shock tower brace, Front Bumper Lip Spoiler, JVC DVD Head unit w/ back-up camera, satellite Radio and USB input, 2 - 12" sub-woofers, 4 - 6"x8" speakers, 2 - 6.5" speakers to replace the door subs, 3 amplifiers, LED lights under the hood and in the trunk, chrome e-handle on parking brake handle, chrome cup holder trim, and trunk lid cover with running pony emblem.

Apprentice

The Bullitts from the 05-09 body style look the best to me, no scoop, no spoiler, great wheels, and I like the dark green/black colour scheme. My opinion only.

BTW, I notice that they are usually premium priced on the used car market, but so tempting...

-Rick

08 GT Convertible, Torch Red
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Which looks best??When car has racing stripes and hood scoop is a solid body color or when hood scoop has same stripes on them?? I like when scoop follows stripes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	07 mustang Mods I 057.jpg
Views:	2191
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	532410   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ford-Mustangs-custome-stripes-kit.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	532418   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0247_zps05a5c466 (1).jpg
Views:	1730
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	532426   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fresh from paint.jpg
Views:	1678
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	532434  
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfederateJoe View Post
Personally I wouldn't bother adding anything to the hood at all. I think Ford nailed the design of the 05-09 GT right from the factory so I chose to maintain its original appearance. I do like the cleaner, more minimalist look of the Bullitt but the fog lights, grille pony, and rear wing won't be coming off my car though.
huberoy123 likes this.

2006 GT Deluxe - 5MT - 12.50 @ 109.61
314rwhp 330rwtq with basic bolt-ons
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I don't think you need to worry about the aero. Pretty sure the top of the hood is a pretty dead air area, the air flows upward off the front of the hood and up over the roof. That's why "functional" hood scoops in that location don't really do much.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfederateJoe View Post

It's also a much better way to supply cold air to a carburetor or a throttle-body injection than any low-lying forward facing hood scoop. You'd have to stick a forward facing scoop a few inches up into the air stream to do any better.

Good aerodynamic solutions don't always appeal to everybody, and attempts that do appeal aesthetically are apt to be poor aerodynamically. I guess with hood scoops the choice is between looking cool to the people who don't understand aerodynamics . . . or smart to the people who do.

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (spare, winter driver)
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt95 View Post
I realize this is a 3 and a half year old thread and I'm hoping you're still around to see this reply. You're the only one so far to suggest this. I'm looking for a low-cost solution to vent heat from my engine bay, mostly for comfort reasons. My car is a stock 2008 GT, so I haven't experienced any performance issues from excessive heat, due to no mods. I found a hood locally for a good price that has a hole cut out in it for a shaker setup, and I'm thinking about mounting a scoop backwards over the hole. Maybe the Cervini's B9 scoop.

I know the <acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym> Am had the backward-facing shaker scoop from about 74 to 81, which is what gave me the idea. I'm concerned about rain water and other stuff blowing into the scoop while I'm driving if it's facing forward, even if it is a "dead-air" area due to the car pushing the air over itself.

Let me know if you have ended up seeing anybody do this. I'm really intrigued and want to try it.

Edit: Here is a link to a page that shows the Trans Am scoop and its functional door flap: https://www.ericpetersautos.com/2016...odds-and-ends/

Last edited by Blue Roads; 11-22-2019 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Adding URL for Trans Am scoop article
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page