Is the GT THAT much better - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By dt2010gt
  • 3 Post By manopoz

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Is the GT THAT much better

If I really did some digging I could probably find an 05-07 mustang and even possibly the GT. My question is, is the new mustang (referring to the 05-07 models) noticeably better (in a straight line) than an older model? Old v6 vs new v6, old v6 vs new GT, old GT vs new GT, old GT vs new v6. If I can spend less money on an 04 v6, will it ever be as good?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
04 V6- 190hp, 220ftlb.
05-09 GT- 300hp, 320ftlb.
Why not start off with the GT and be at a place where the V6 will never be with just bolt ons? It just makes more sense financially.

08 GT 5spd
Spectra CAI, Comp Cam Detroit Rockers, Kooks headers w/catted H-pipe, Revolution Automotive dyno tuned, FB430 race mufflers, 3.55s, JLT catch can, BMR Lca's and relo brackets. Prothane motor mounts and sway bar bushings.
20% tint, smoked markers and tail lights w/sequentials. Clear front signal covers, series 3 chin spoiler.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandGT View Post
04 V6- 190hp, 220ftlb.
05-09 GT- 300hp, 320ftlb.
Why not start off with the GT and be at a place where the V6 will never be with just bolt ons? It just makes more sense financially.

And.. The 190 hp is on a brand new motor. Add 100k or whatever miles to it and it makes less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TmAnBuIcK View Post
If I really did some digging I could probably find an 05-07 mustang and even possibly the GT. My question is, is the new mustang (referring to the 05-07 models) noticeably better (in a straight line) than an older model? Old v6 vs new v6, old v6 vs new GT, old GT vs new GT, old GT vs new v6. If I can spend less money on an 04 v6, will it ever be as good?
Most important thing is to aim for a body style you love. The S197 is different inside and out from the SN95. For my taste, I preferred the S197, looks more late 60s early 70s, where the SN95 has its own look. The interior, to me again, is also much nicer. Now if you look at the two and feel the SN95 is better, then that is what you should go for.

The S197 has better balance in weight distribution for handling, a little less nose heavy. The SN95 has a lighter rearend, so easier to smoke the tires, drift the car, or spin out.

The S197 has improved suspension over the SN95, and this increase becomes larger from 2010-2014.

The GT has a V8 and the base is a V6. A V8 has more power and sounds different than a V6. Which ever you prefer, go for that.

I have a friend whose 2 sons each have V6 SN95s. They love their cars and have done plenty of mods to them. He and I each have 2010 GTs and love modding them. Our cars have the 4.6L 3V - it was 2011 and up that got the 5.0L 4V. Lots of folks on here prefer the 5.0 as it comes with 100 more horses. But I have beaten a 5.0 on the quarter mile, the 4.6 is a great engine with few problems, and it has some advantages in modding and costs. Shelby offered the Terilingua Mustang - a V6 set up to out track race V8s (S197 platform). So you see, any year Mustang could be the right one for you. But you have to drop buyers remorse and focus on what is good about yours or you will always have regrets and not enjoy what you have.

Enjoy
90lxwhite likes this.

DT

2010 GT Premium / Automatic / RapidSpec 401A Leather Interior / MMD Decklid Panel / MMD Classic Quarter Window Louvers / MMD Black Tail Light Trim / GT500 Splash Guards / GT Valve Caps / FRPP GT500 Brake Cooling Shields / FRPP-SVT GT500 Cooling Fan / Steeda LCAs / Whiteline Front Sway, RTR Rear / Whiteline Adj Panhard / Redline Hood Struts / JLT Oil Separator / JLT Series 3 Cold Air Intake / Pypes O/R X-pipe / Pypes Violators Axelbacks / Steeda UDP / Steeda CMDPlugs / Brenspeed Tune
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TmAnBuIcK View Post
. . . . . If I can spend less money on an 04 v6, will it ever be as good?
Short answer is "NO" in my personal opinion -- you could pour a ton of money into a 2004 V6 and it will never be as "good" as a 2005+ GT.

But like the others have said, it really comes down to personal preference and budget. Regardless of that, my advice would be, if you want to match a 2005+ GT then buy one; I think it would cost you more to mod a 2004- V6 to match the performance.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Is the GT THAT much better

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
Short answer is "NO" in my personal opinion -- you could pour a ton of money into a 2004 V6 and it will never be as "good" as a 2005+ GT.

But like the others have said, it really comes down to personal preference and budget. Regardless of that, my advice would be, if you want to match a 2005+ GT then buy one; I think it would cost you more to mod a 2004- V6 to match the performance.

It would cost a butt-ton just to match the performance of a stock '99 GT and a partial butt-ton to match a stock '98.
Think about it this way; guys w/ '96-98 GT's spend thousands on a used '99-04 GT topend because adding bolt-ons to their '96 GT won't get them to stock '99 gt power levels. It doesn't seem that there are anything on the aftermarket for the v6 other than bolt-ons. I'm sure there's that niche market and somewhere there's a guy that builds turbo kits and or heads and stuff, but being niche market it won't be cheap.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017
Apprentice

We, my daughter and I have both. A 2007 GT and a 2013 V6 GHIG Convt. Mustangs.
I fill the 2013 each week, this week it was only $25.00.
Starts nice, pop off the line, BUT that is where it stops. GUTLESS runs out of cubes!
You can look nice and smile, get better mileage - OR - Enjoy a GT and have fun. NO COMPARISON!

1965 Mustang 289 Auto
1967 Mustang Fastback 289 4-Speed
1991 Toyota MR2 2.4 turbo 5-Speed
2005 Mustang Conv. Premium Auto
2007 Mustang GT Premium Auto
2013 Mustang V6 Premium Auto Convt. GHIG
2019 Mustang GT Premium Auto Convt. Need for Green
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb07GT View Post
We, my daughter and I have both. A 2007 GT and a 2013 V6 GHIG Convt. Mustangs.
I fill the 2013 each week, this week it was only $25.00.
Starts nice, pop off the line, BUT that is where it stops. GUTLESS runs out of cubes!
You can look nice and smile, get better mileage - OR - Enjoy a GT and have fun. NO COMPARISON!

He's currently looking at an '01 V6. Your daughters would make that one look silly in a race.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017
Rookie

Garage
Greetings;In my humble opinion,endure the pain of the extra money for the 05 to 09 GT model right off the hop, and you will feel the justification for your decision every time you walk by it,open the hood,talk about it,start the engine,detail it,and most importantly drive it.All the louvers,side scoops,ground effects,GT badges,cobra stickers and racing stripes will not replace that V8,RWD,stick shift,dual exhaust rumble feeling in your soul.Peace
Apprentice

I took a drive up to Big Bear Lake elevation 7500+
On the drive up, I past the box cars, then the 3.7's, then closer to the top even the 4.6 ran out of air & cubes.

I love my GT, I would not consider an older V6, the sound of the exhaust, engine clawing for air, a smile reserved for power- one of the ultimate male things.

Buy what you can afford- I cannot afford a GT350 - but I can dream!
Love my Mustang!

1965 Mustang 289 Auto
1967 Mustang Fastback 289 4-Speed
1991 Toyota MR2 2.4 turbo 5-Speed
2005 Mustang Conv. Premium Auto
2007 Mustang GT Premium Auto
2013 Mustang V6 Premium Auto Convt. GHIG
2019 Mustang GT Premium Auto Convt. Need for Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page