2005 V6 Mustang... Tune needed for a CAI? - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

2005 V6 Mustang... Tune needed for a CAI?

ok so not to long after i got the car i saw in 5.0 that they did some thing on a s&b cai saying it was a good one to get and u dont need to refresh the car cuz ther is a hole for the mafs so thats the one i got but no i been reading on this site that when you get a cai that if u dont hae a tune for it its not really adding mpg or any hp??? is this true ? and if so iwas thinking on taking it to get it dyno tune or is it better to buy one that you plug in your selfe

mustang v6, s&b intake, with painted cover flowmaster, 16x7 in front 17x9 in back,with 2 inch drop in the front, costume paint on rims, black grill, with gt fog lights with angel lights, and running mustang, smoked headlights, with headlight splitters, smoked out turning lights, racing stripes, blackout trunk kit, all new audio system, 4 jl audio 5x7 speakers front and back 2 jl 12 inch w6v2 with 2 jl 500/1 amps and pa system 1967 mustang working on
-----------
one act of kindness at a time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008
5.0L Member

If I had a 2005, I would buy a programmer. You can do some crazy things with them, even change your speedo if you got a ticket, and have a speedo calibration shop near you. lol

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008
PONY Member
S197 Member

these cars are so easy to mess up changing anything do do with the mass air flow sensor could cause your car to run differnt so if your gonna change your cai and you have the extra cash get a tune

2005 gt mods include c&L intake,steed ud pullies, violator x pipe w/flowmaster mufflers,hurst shifter,custom tune by evolution motorsports.
319 hp 333 tq rearwheel!!
aperance mods include. xeon side scoops with louvers,classic chin spoiler,shaker hood scoop,18x10 rear and 17x9 front wheels.painted stripes!

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to ksmithey
I agree with kenzo...they're several CAI's out there that don't require tuning, but you would get more out of it with a tune.

2006 GT Tungsten Grey...Steeda CAI w/High Flow Elbow | SCT | CMDP's | Steeda UDP's | Hurst Short Throw | Steeda Ultralight Springs | CHE LCA's | FRPP GTA's | 18" Anthracite Deep Dish Bullitts w/ Pony Caps | MRT Hood Struts | GT500 spoiler | GT500 Pedals | CDC Classic Chin Spoiler | Midwest Auto Gear Mirror Covers | 3D Carbon Center Mount Grille | Sequential Tailights | Xenon Side Scoops

Mods on deck: need more money!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Other than the Airraid and the C&L with the insert I would get a tune for any CAI.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008
5.0L Member

I still say hand programmer, but I have an idea what I am doing...Not to mention you always have your "stock" tune. Only do so much bad..lol
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008
PONY Member
S197 Member

hey stl what do you mean a airraid and c&l you wouldnt get a tune with those. i know my c&l required a tune???? and to 661 do your research for a cai dont go cheaper if you know what i mean. buy the better one or you will regret it later

2005 gt mods include c&L intake,steed ud pullies, violator x pipe w/flowmaster mufflers,hurst shifter,custom tune by evolution motorsports.
aperance mods include. xeon side scoops with louvers,classic chin spoiler,shaker hood scoop,18x10 rear and 17x9 front wheels.painted stripes!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to ksmithey
Once again I'll agree with kenzo...I purchased an AFE intake (no tune required) only to take it off 6 months later for a Steeda (tune required)...the difference was night and day.

2006 GT Tungsten Grey...Steeda CAI w/High Flow Elbow | SCT | CMDP's | Steeda UDP's | Hurst Short Throw | Steeda Ultralight Springs | CHE LCA's | FRPP GTA's | 18" Anthracite Deep Dish Bullitts w/ Pony Caps | MRT Hood Struts | GT500 spoiler | GT500 Pedals | CDC Classic Chin Spoiler | Midwest Auto Gear Mirror Covers | 3D Carbon Center Mount Grille | Sequential Tailights | Xenon Side Scoops

Mods on deck: need more money!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008
MACH I Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

If you get a Dyno tune, they're still going to require you to have or buy some sort of tuning device. At least all of them in my area require it. I don't see them tuning your car and then taking back the tuner they used.

K&N also makes a CAI that doesn't require a tune.

2008 Mustang GT Premium 5 speed, MGW short throw shifter, 3.55 gears, black-on-black, IUP, 18in polished aluminum wheels, FRPP GTA Axle Backs, JLT II CAI w/SCT X-Cal 2. 296HP & 311TQ

1997 Mustang 3.8L AODE, CAI, Dual Exhaust, UDPs, 17" GT wheels

"Some people live their entire lifetime and wonder if they ever made a difference to the world. Marines don't have that problem." -- Ronald Reagan
PONY Member
S197 Member

the k&n is a good cai but not a good choice for the s197's first of all the inlet pipe is too small and the mass airflow sensor doesnt pick up all the air. i would go with a c&l airraid with the bigger inlet pipe

PONY Member
S197 Member

i meant c&l or airraid. there are alot out there for 200 or 250 for a good one you will genrally see a price at about $300 to $350

Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzostang4 View Post
hey stl what do you mean a airraid and c&l you wouldnt get a tune with those. i know my c&l required a tune???? and to 661 do your research for a cai dont go cheaper if you know what i mean. buy the better one or you will regret it later
C&L developed a version of the street intake with a metal insert for the elbow. It reduces the airflow to the same CFM as the stock airbox. Airraid does the same thing with a venturi tube. Nice thing is, both allow you to remove the inserts at some point when you eventually do get a tune.

1965 Mustang Coupe
MACH I Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasusmc View Post
If you get a Dyno tune, they're still going to require you to have or buy some sort of tuning device. At least all of them in my area require it. I don't see them tuning your car and then taking back the tuner they used.

K&N also makes a CAI that doesn't require a tune.
If they installed the tune, then took the tuner back, you would have no way of performing a return to stock. The only other option would be to pay a dealer to reflash the ECM.

2008 Mustang GT Premium 5 speed, MGW short throw shifter, 3.55 gears, black-on-black, IUP, 18in polished aluminum wheels, FRPP GTA Axle Backs, JLT II CAI w/SCT X-Cal 2. 296HP & 311TQ

"Some people live their entire lifetime and wonder if they ever made a difference to the world. Marines don't have that problem." -- Ronald Reagan
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

so the s&b one i got is not that good? it was like $230 when i got it now its like 200 and ts carb approved cuz i am in cA so should go and get a new cai

mustang v6, s&b intake, with painted cover flowmaster, 16x7 in front 17x9 in back,with 2 inch drop in the front, costume paint on rims, black grill, with gt fog lights with angel lights, and running mustang, smoked headlights, with headlight splitters, smoked out turning lights, racing stripes, blackout trunk kit, all new audio system, 4 jl audio 5x7 speakers front and back 2 jl 12 inch w6v2 with 2 jl 500/1 amps and pa system 1967 mustang working on
-----------
one act of kindness at a time
MACH I Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I've never heard of S&B, so I couldn't tell you. I'll do a lil research to try to find out though. My statements were for informational purposes. IF you want to get a dyno tune, you'll need a tuner (X-Cal, Diablo & such). If you don't provide one, you can't make the necessary timing, idle, fan, etc.. adjustments.
You might just need to get a tuner for it to work properly, not a new CAI & tuner.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page