How's Your Ride Doin - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikapp View Post
[SIZE=2][FONT=Arial]I just don't understand. I've got less than 30K on my car and have had to replace .
. . .
LOL, how does that old cliche go? something like --

"speed costs money; how fast do you want to spend?"

how many of those things were replaced because they were worn out, and how many were "upgrades" ?

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

MACH I Member

Garage
Upgrade / replace, all the same to me. Very few of the items have not had to be replaced at one time or another over the past 9 years. Most costly has been the new trans and clutch. If they'll hold out for another 10 years, I'm good. My saying is, "if you wanna play with the big dogs then you gotta go big."

IF MY CAR WENT AS FAST AS THE MONEY I SPEND ON IT, I'D WIN EVERY RACE
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikapp View Post
Upgrade / replace, all the same to me. Very few of the items have not had to be replaced at one time or another over the past 9 years. Most costly has been the new trans and clutch. If they'll hold out for another 10 years, I'm good. My saying is, "if you wanna play with the big dogs then you gotta go big."
I saw that picture of your car earlier. If my car looked that fast I'd be embarrassed if I didn't wear out/break a few parts. Great look, nice color and stance. Decals and stripes awesome and fast looking.

All the best.

2014 Gray Mustang

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017 Thread Starter
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghunt View Post
Car's too loud to let it warm up and get the defroster going, and I have to navigate a neighborhood of narrow streets and parked cars first thing out from my house in the morning so I have to be able to see
I hear ya. There's been a few mornings where I've had to stick my head out with window down in 20 degree mornings to be able to drive because these cars take sooooo long to warm up. Ice scrapers don't work. Windshield refreezes.
As far as noise, either the neighbors are use to it or they figure there's no point in saying anything.

08 GT 5spd
Spectra CAI, Comp Cam Detroit Rockers, Kooks headers w/catted H-pipe, Revolution Automotive dyno tuned, FB430 race mufflers, 3.55s, JLT catch can, BMR Lca's and relo brackets. Prothane motor mounts and sway bar bushings.
20% tint, smoked markers and tail lights w/sequentials. Clear front signal covers, series 3 chin spoiler.
MACH I Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by UUUd444 View Post
I saw that picture of your car earlier. If my car looked that fast I'd be embarrassed if I didn't wear out/break a few parts. Great look, nice color and stance. Decals and stripes awesome and fast looking. All the best.
Thanks for the compliments. Its been a blast to drive and it gets better each year. One knows stepping into this sport, that it'll be costly, you just hope it comes in spurts and not waves. We've been fortunate, until last year, that the expenses were in spurts and manageable. Adding a new trans and clutch within 6 months of each other in 2016, was an unexpected wave...busted our budget big time. Had to reduce the race schedule this year to recover. Now we're back on track, looking forward to a full season next year.

IF MY CAR WENT AS FAST AS THE MONEY I SPEND ON IT, I'D WIN EVERY RACE
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandGT View Post
I hear ya. There's been a few mornings where I've had to stick my head out with window down in 20 degree mornings to be able to drive because these cars take sooooo long to warm up. Ice scrapers don't work. Windshield refreezes.
As far as noise, either the neighbors are use to it or they figure there's no point in saying anything.
Problem I have with mine is that even if I get the windshield clear, the inside fogs up really bad and I can't get rid of it. And the short drop windows really don't like any accumulation of ice and snow, so I feel better just putting the poor thing away. I definitely can't run it in the mornings now because my new neighbor works nights and gets in at 1 or 2 AM (and I'm leaving for work at 6:45 or so).

But, tonight it's 50 degrees outside and dry, and I might just have to take it for a spin

'05 Mustang GT Premium
CMS Stage 1 cams, C&L Racer, Lito tune, Jeg's oil sep, CMDP, SR UDP's, JBA stainless LT's & catted H, Magnaflow resonators, MBRP axle back, BMR springs, Koni STR.T, BMR LCA's & backets, J&M upper & mount, J&M Al panhard, DIY panhard brace, Steeda Tri-Ax, smoked corners, Raxiom Vector tails, Brembos, S550 GT Premium wheels, 2010+ door panels
Apprentice

Garage
Oh man, what perfect timing. I love Nellie but damn, started having a creak in the rear end, turned into a clunk (almost sounds like if you put a 10mm socket in the bare trunk and it was moving around over bumps).

After checking everything, which felt tight, and a lot of listening I determined the sound was coming from the middle of the rear seat. Ah, UCA. SO, ordered J&M Adj, UCA & mount. Put it in, test drove. Great, no more clunk. Feels tight. Drive home. I hear one clunk. Figured I was insane. Come the nest day, and now on every drive, the clunk is back. Ugh. Not nearly as bad but still.

So, back into troubleshooting mode. But still love her

2010 GT Premium 5-speed w/ 3.73 - Acquired 08-2015

Pypes PypeBomb Axlebacks - MGW Shifter - BMR TCA032 LCA's - J&M Adj. UCA & Mount - BFG Comp 2 A/S - Powerstop Z26 Street Warrior Brake Kit -
Hoonigan & Rockstar Stickers (Worth 50hp right there)
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGowland View Post
. . .. I love Nellie but damn, started having a creak in the rear end, turned into a clunk . . . I determined the sound was coming from the middle of the rear seat. Ah, UCA. SO, ordered J&M Adj, UCA & mount. Put it in, test drove. Great, no more clunk. Feels tight. Drive home. I hear one clunk. Figured I was insane. Come the nest day, and now on every drive, the clunk is back. Ugh. Not nearly as bad but still.

So, back into troubleshooting mode. But still love her
Yeah my 2010 has developed some clunks both front and rear, which I guess isn't so bad with 95,000 miles on the clock.

Make sure you used the "anti clunk washers" correctly in that J&M rear UCA. I think that is the same one that I have and I also developed a mysterious new clunk shortly after it was installed. I noticed that my installer had some parts left over -- the anti-clunk washers -- and I asked him to install on my next visit. It seems like maybe that helped but I still have some clunks.

BTW I usually do this stuff myself so I can make sure it is done right, but I don't have the tools to measure/adjust the pinion angle so I had a shop do this one.

This winter I plan to replace most of the suspension components (rear and front LCA's and maybe a different UCA) and hopefully the clunks will go away.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page