Doors keep unlocking and locking during drive - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Doors keep unlocking and locking during drive

Hey guys, sorry for opening another thread, i'm quite new to mustangs, got mine about a month ago and i still have tons of questions. Just wanted to say thanks to all of you guys answering questions, really helpful.

Ok so now the issue. I recently found out you can open both doors by pressing twice on the remote (duh right in front of me!). So after doing this a few times i noticed that my doors keep locking and unlocking when i drive, like 40 times, all i hear is click click click from the doors locking and unlocking.

What i tried so far : locking and unlocking them from the remote, locking and unlocking them from the inside, i've disconnected the battery to reset it and i've changed the battery in the remote. Still nothing, it keeps doing it.

What i would like to point out is that it does this only when i open both doors with double tap on the remote button. Tapping once and just opening the driver's door doesn't trigger this behaviour.

So does anyone know what the issue with it is and how can it be fixed ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018
Rookie

Garage
So basically what you're saying is that this only happens when the passenger door is unlocked, with the key in the run position. Sounds like there's something going wrong in the passenger door or its wiring.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaili919 View Post
So basically what you're saying is that this only happens when the passenger door is unlocked, with the key in the run position. Sounds like there's something going wrong in the passenger door or its wiring.
Yes it does seem to happen only when i open the passanger door via the remote.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious013 View Post
Yes it does seem to happen only when i open the passanger door via the remote.
It is possible the remote button is sticking down. If you have two remotes leave "this one" at home, and use the other one to see if it still does it. It is also possible that the relay system that drives the door lock actuators has a problem.

What worries me is, after what I told you to tell her about "fixing" the door lock, she's gonna think this issue is your fault.

130 total pounds of Pitbull ruled by 8 pounds of cat.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana W View Post
It is possible the remote button is sticking down. If you have two remotes leave "this one" at home, and use the other one to see if it still does it. It is also possible that the relay system that drives the door lock actuators has a problem.

What worries me is, after what I told you to tell her about "fixing" the door lock, she's gonna think this issue is your fault.
haha i already blamed my gf once for it "see ? if you could of just waited for me to open the door from the inside it wouldn't of broke" but actually it seems it has nothing to do with the passenger door, i tried today with just the driver door and keeps doing it over and over again, even when the car is parked so there's some apologies to her right there :P

today i was helping a friend with some stuff on his house, car parked outside, keeps locking and unlocking. then i started thinking about what you said with the remote so maybe i was just to close to the car in my friend's yard, remote in my pocket, the range was enough to keep messing with it.

so as i got home, i removed the battery from the old one, used the spare remote, stood in the car for like 10 minutes, outside for another 10 minutes next to the car and it didn't do it again. i still need to test it out tomorrow on a drive but by now in 20 minutes it would of locked and unlocked at least 30 times.

so thanks a lot for the advice, switching the remote might of just done the trick
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I'm pretty sure there are a few different settings for the auto-lock and unlock feature. Take a look in the owner's manual, it should tell how to change this. You might want to try a different setting.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
haha i already blamed my gf once for it "see ? if you could of just waited for me to open the door from the inside it wouldn't of broke"
LOL - My wife has a habit of grabbing the passenger door handle and pulling on the first click, which is of course the driver's door unlocking, now with the passenger handle pulled out, it will not unlock. Then I get looked at like it's my fault even though this has happened thousands of times with four or five different cars.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thumbs up

Quote:
LOL - My wife has a habit of grabbing the passenger door handle and pulling on the first click, which is of course the driver's door unlocking, now with the passenger handle pulled out, it will not unlock. Then I get looked at like it's my fault even though this has happened thousands of times with four or five different cars.
haha that's hilarious

on a side note i drove for an hour today with my spare key and remote and seems to be fine, no more locking and unlocking which is great because i don't have to tear the door open and check every wire so thanks for the help !
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
haha that's hilarious

on a side note i drove for an hour today with my spare key and remote and seems to be fine, no more locking and unlocking which is great because i don't have to tear the door open and check every wire so thanks for the help !
Double blind the experiment by using the other remote again just to be sure.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Double blind the experiment by using the other remote again just to be sure.
Will do but at this point i think i'm just going to stick with the spare remote, i don't really want to mess with it anymore and have my car unlock by itself again.
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Will do but at this point i think i'm just going to stick with the spare remote, i don't really want to mess with it anymore and have my car unlock by itself again.
You're probably safe. By the way, about six months ago, I ordered a couple of remotes from American Muscle, for less than 20 bucks plus shipping. They look just like OEM and so far they work perfectly. Once it dawned on me that I had to program BOTH remotes in the same program session, I was done in 5 minutes.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
You're probably safe. By the way, about six months ago, I ordered a couple of remotes from American Muscle, for less than 20 bucks plus shipping. They look just like OEM and so far they work perfectly. Once it dawned on me that I had to program BOTH remotes in the same program session, I was done in 5 minutes.
Yep i've seen them too. I also saw it's possible to program a non OEM remote as well, there was a guy on youtube using a random remote from Amazon.
PONY Member
4.6L Member

I've had a couple of cars do that...recalibrating the grandkid in the passenger seat usually cures it.

Underestimate me, that will be fun.
GREEN WORM RACING--since 1959

These are my opinions...YOU are responsible for YOUR decisions and YOUR outcomes...AND, my not arguing with you does not indicate agreement with your opinion.
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormsedge View Post
I've had a couple of cars do that...recalibrating the grandkid in the passenger seat usually cures it.
LOL, my dogs used to open their own windows if I forgot to hit the window lock button. It was a 99 Chevy Suburban with the switches in the flat horizontal arm rest. They'd simply step on the back window switches.

GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
It could be as simple as something making the 'unlock' button stick in the 'unlock-it' position. Try working the corner of a piece of paper around the space between each button and the front face of the fob (it'll take a few times to go 'round each button). Clean off anything you find each time.

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (spare, winter driver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page