What size speakers? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Smokievol

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

What size speakers?

I’m seeing lots of different information on the size speakers. Looking to replace the factory speakers with something a little better. Nothing crazy. I have an 07 GT vert with the Mach 500 system.

What size speakers do I need and how many of each? Any special info that would be good to know as well? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019
GT Member
2.3L Member
S197 Member

Garage
6X8 front and rear. door sub (if you have them) are 8", each driven by its own amp that's mounted on the drivers side kickpanel. I got all my 6X8 speakers (Rockford Fosgate) from Crutchfield. they included the harness adaptors so I didn't have to cut anything. they also included instructions on removal (door panel/ package tray..etc) for free. double check proper polarity on the speaker wires with a good wiring diagram. a while back, crutchfield got a lot of speaker harness adaptors that were wired backwards (+ = -, - = +, mine were). don't mess with the door subs if you have them, they are plenty good enough for normal listening. good time to upgrade the head unit (radio/cd player) now as well. you will need 2 harnesses if you have door subs, just 1 with base model. hope this helps, good luck

Lots of bolt on goodies...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Okay thank you. So should I look at any specific type of 6x8? 2 way, 3 way, 4 way? Anyone help with watts per chanel vs total watts?

Secondly on the receiver I was looking at one with apple play. Anything that I need to make sure the receiver has to maintain the stock amp and subs? How many outs does it need to have or any accessories it must have? Thanks for all the help.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019
GT Member
2.3L Member
S197 Member

Garage
2 way will be more than adequate. an aftermarket receiver will power them fine. most put out 40 watts or so per channel. if you go thru crutchfield, they will include all you need for the install, speaker adaptors for speakers and dash kit, wiring harness (2) etc. for the receiver. if you go thru amazon or somewhere else, youll have to buy all that separate.

Lots of bolt on goodies...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019
PONY Member

You may want to replace your mid woofers with these Shelby woofers. Direct fit, they work with the woofer amps already installed. If you go after market head unit, I would definitely look at the upgrade, unless you like the boomie sound of the stock woofer...these have much tighter response

Easy install...
http://championmustang.com/modern/0509-shelbykicker-8-woofer-kit-for-shaker-5001000-pair-p-1142.html

2008 GT Premium, MagnaCharger TVS 1900, Brembo Brakes, Whiteline Watts Link, Koni Yellows, Steeda Sport Springs,
J&M Extreme LCA, BMR Relo Brackets, FR500S Axlebacks, TCI Shifter
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019
PONY Member

These are what I replaced the 6X8 speakers with, they sound nice, good value for what you get.
Pioneer TSD6802R 6 X 8 2-Way 260 Watt Speakers

The rear speakers are a pain in the ass to replace. I would probably leave whats there and replace the front two with 6X8 and the shelby/kicker woofers....get a head unit an your good to go....Thats if your stang came with the shaker 500....not too expensive of an upgrade...

2008 GT Premium, MagnaCharger TVS 1900, Brembo Brakes, Whiteline Watts Link, Koni Yellows, Steeda Sport Springs,
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019
PONY Member

Now that I'm thinking about it, i did add this amp to my Pioneer headunit about a year later.....made big difference...and not expensive..
This just helped out the Pioneer head unit, the shelby woofers are still powered by the shaker 500 amps in the doors

Pioneer GM-D1004 Compact Class FD 4-Channel Amplifier
huberoy123 likes this.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokievol View Post
Now that I'm thinking about it, i did add this amp to my Pioneer headunit about a year later.....made big difference...and not expensive..
This just helped out the Pioneer head unit, the shelby woofers are still powered by the shaker 500 amps in the doors

Pioneer GM-D1004 Compact Class FD 4-Channel Amplifier

I agree. The additional amp made a huge difference for me. I highly recommend doing it.

2006 GT, Strut Tower Brace, Gas Hood Struts, FR Intake Plenum cover, Metal Fuse Box cover, Moroso brake reservoir cover, Rear shock tower brace, Front Bumper Lip Spoiler, JVC DVD Head unit w/ back-up camera, satellite Radio and USB input, 2 - 12" sub-woofers, 4 - 6"x8" speakers, 2 - 6.5" speakers to replace the door subs, 3 amplifiers, LED lights under the hood and in the trunk, chrome e-handle on parking brake handle, chrome cup holder trim, and trunk lid cover with running pony emblem.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page