Should I sell my 2010? - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
The 2011 V6 is not the Coyote engine; the Coyote is the new 5.0 liter V8

But still, the 2011 V6 should be a big improvement over the 2010 V6, it is a whole new engine making over 300 HP while the previous version was something like 225
Oops. I fixed my post.

As I said, it is definitely an improvement in a lot of ways but nothing earth-shattering. The power is there but without a way to manually shift (it's an automatic, no paddle shifters available) it feels like it's buried until you get to 50 mph. The old V6 feels just as fast until about 4000 RPM when the new V6 finally blows it away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEZ ST View Post
Stang: If you are looking at a family down the road, the 2 door is not too infant or car seat friendly when it comes to getting the children in and out. From your post I get the hint you already know that and I assume will be looking for a 4-door at that time.

I usually do not jump brands but the 2015 and up Charger is a good family sedan in the 3.6L version because it gets decent fuel economy, has plenty of room, and decent power for a family car. It would be fantastic if you are able to keep the Mustang because I often see our members swing back around and get another Mustang to replace the one they traded in. In the meantime, I know you will enjoy the 2012. As far as HP, the 3.7 V6 in your 2012 is on par with the 4.6 V8 in earlier Mustang GTs. Not the same torque rating as the V8 but its a good engine. The 4.0L in your previous Mustang has been around forever and had a decent 210 HP but was a little thrashy sounding when pushed. I think what pushed the 4.0 to the trash heap was the termination of the Ford Ranger in 2011 for the domestic market (which recently came back).

I have two children ages 92 and 88 and we recently purchased a Charger Scat Pack. No way can they climb into an SUV or pole vault into a 4x4 extended cab. The sedan allows us to whoosh them around sportingly fast before they start acting up.

And for relaxation we take our Mustang out for leisure rides.

Enjoy your new ride.
Thanks for the reply. It definitely would not be fun getting a car seat out of the back of a Mustang!

I have not driven a Charger but I have driven its sister car, the Chrysler 300. The problem is that buying an American-made car is important to me and the 300 & Charger are both assembled in Canada. But the Charger & 300 have American-built engines and transmissions so maybe it's a wash. I've also looked at the Chrysler 200 (which was assembled in America). It was discontinued but there are some good deals on fully loaded ones on the used market. It's FWD-based but if you get the AWD, sport mode does torque vectoring for a 60-40 rear bias. It was rated at 5.7 seconds for 0-60 mph. Or maybe in a couple years used Lincoln Continentals will be more affordable...

I do like the 2012, but as I mentioned the 3.7L is not night-and-day compared to the 4.0L in my opinion. The 4.0L feels torquier off the line and I actually never minded the noise. I'm surprisingly getting the same (or slightly worse) highway gas mileage in the 3.7L even though it's supposed to have vastly better highway MPG. Most of my highway driving is done in 70 mph speed zones which means I'm going 75-80. I think it's because the 3.7L is smaller and tuned for efficiency at lower highway speeds that are more like 60 mph.

I think maybe what I'll do is keep the 2010 for now. Since it's worth so little based on the age, mileage, and old engine, it costs very little to insure. That way when I eventually sell the 2012 I'll still have a Mustang. But we'll see if the fiancee will assent...

Congrats on the Scat Pack! I hear they're a riot. I've seen a handful in person but never driven one. (I'm assuming your kids aren't really 92 and 88?)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Just a guess but I bet 99% of the 2011-2014 v6 Mustangs came with the gas mileage 2.73 rear gear ratio. I ordered my 2011 with the only option gear ratio of 3.31. The 3.31 should have been the standard gear ratio. It still wasn't enough gear for me so I had my local Ford dealer install my 3.73 gears. Great improvement. Just saying...ÖÖÖÖ.

'Little Red'. 2011 V-6 Mustang. Automatic <acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym>. C&L C.A.I. Ceramic Coated BBK Long Tube Headers and Catted Shorty X-Pipe. Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs. 3.73 rear gears. GT 500 Lower Control Arms. JLT Catch Can. Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft. Steeda Watts Link. Several more mods...1991 F150 4X4 61,000 miles. Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang2010 View Post
Oops. I fixed my post.

As I said, it is definitely an improvement in a lot of ways but nothing earth-shattering. The power is there but without a way to manually shift (it's an automatic, no paddle shifters available) it feels like it's buried until you get to 50 mph. The old V6 feels just as fast until about 4000 RPM when the new V6 finally blows it away.

Thanks for the reply. It definitely would not be fun getting a car seat out of the back of a Mustang!

I have not driven a Charger but I have driven its sister car, the Chrysler 300. The problem is that buying an American-made car is important to me and the 300 & Charger are both assembled in Canada. But the Charger & 300 have American-built engines and transmissions so maybe it's a wash. I've also looked at the Chrysler 200 (which was assembled in America). It was discontinued but there are some good deals on fully loaded ones on the used market. It's FWD-based but if you get the AWD, sport mode does torque vectoring for a 60-40 rear bias. It was rated at 5.7 seconds for 0-60 mph. Or maybe in a couple years used Lincoln Continentals will be more affordable...

I do like the 2012, but as I mentioned the 3.7L is not night-and-day compared to the 4.0L in my opinion. The 4.0L feels torquier off the line and I actually never minded the noise. I'm surprisingly getting the same (or slightly worse) highway gas mileage in the 3.7L even though it's supposed to have vastly better highway MPG. Most of my highway driving is done in 70 mph speed zones which means I'm going 75-80. I think it's because the 3.7L is smaller and tuned for efficiency at lower highway speeds that are more like 60 mph.

I think maybe what I'll do is keep the 2010 for now. Since it's worth so little based on the age, mileage, and old engine, it costs very little to insure. That way when I eventually sell the 2012 I'll still have a Mustang. But we'll see if the fiancee will assent...

Congrats on the Scat Pack! I hear they're a riot. I've seen a handful in person but never driven one. (I'm assuming your kids aren't really 92 and 88?)

The kids are mother & mother in law.

I agree you should keep the 2010 Mustang. You are on track looking at the economy of what you eventually purchase for family use. Economy, performance, insurance, etc are major factors.
stang2010 likes this.

----------------------------
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in