• 4 Post By Bullitt95
  • 1 Post By Beechkid
  • 1 Post By JayKcreek79
  • 1 Post By 85andstillalive
  • 1 Post By Bullitt95

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

I've got an 05 GT I've got moderate mods on. 76,000 miles on it. $2800 left on it. Debating on selling it and getting 14+ or keeping it & going deeper in mods next year.

So far she's got JBA shorties, Pypes off-road H, SLP loudmouth, K&N "intake", hood struts, diy antenna delete, CDC chin spoiler, MMD duck tail spoiler, Gen 5 taillights, 20% tint all around with 5% sun strip, MGW shifter(love that thing), My Color gauge swap, Billet cup holder cover, 19" wheels from 2011 Mustang GT, KONI orange shocks/struts, SR lowering springs, BMR adjustable panhard bar, SCT X4 tuner, and I think that's it.

Possible mods for future include FRPP cams, 4:10's, cowl hood, Roush front/rear fascia, and leather interior.

Thoughts and advice on what y'all think I should do. I'd hate to see her go if I sold it, however the '13 & '14 are sexy...newer too.....but if I keep it, it would be nice to be free of the payment and I'd have her forever cuz I only put maybe 2500 miles on her a year.

Last edited by JayKcreek79; 07-09-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKcreek79 View Post
I only put maybe 2500 miles on her a year.
In that case the simple answer is to keep it.

2006 GT Deluxe - 5MT - 12.52 @ 109.33
311rwhp 328rwtq with basic bolt-ons
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019
BOSS Member

The newer ones have issues...……………..costly ones from tranny to paint to AC and...….
JBert likes this.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I have been struggling with basically the same dilemma, if you figure it out, let me know, LOL . . .

In addition to the thoughts above, here's another way to look at it: would you rather have a unique car, with lots of mods but getting a bit old (your current car); or a new but fairly common factory car that is not unique? (the new one).

Yeah the newer ones have some issues, but the old one is getting old, so I'm not sure there is a big difference there.

Another thought is, do you have any particular use in mind? For example, if you are tired of getting beat at the drag strip by the Coyote cars, you'll never get there with the 4.6 . . . .well, unless you put a blower on it, hello Department of Boost!

And that is another thought -- if you want to make a huge difference in power output, the blower is the way to go, forget about the cams and gears . . . Department of Boost web site has lots of information on that, if that sounds interesting.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
I have been struggling with basically the same dilemma, if you figure it out, let me know, LOL . . .

In addition to the thoughts above, here's another way to look at it: would you rather have a unique car, with lots of mods but getting a bit old (your current car); or a new but fairly common factory car that is not unique? (the new one).

Yeah the newer ones have some issues, but the old one is getting old, so I'm not sure there is a big difference there.

Another thought is, do you have any particular use in mind? For example, if you are tired of getting beat at the drag strip by the Coyote cars, you'll never get there with the 4.6 . . . .well, unless you put a blower on it, hello Department of Boost!

And that is another thought -- if you want to make a huge difference in power output, the blower is the way to go, forget about the cams and gears . . . Department of Boost web site has lots of information on that, if that sounds interesting.
Not really looking to make huge power, just reliable....sound good and look good.
huberoy123 likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019
SHELBY GT 500 Member
5.0L Member

Garage
If you still look forward to getting in and driving it every day then I would suggest keeping it and continue to make it whatever you want, your only limit is your desire and imagination . . . and funds.

If however you're starting to feel a little burned out with it then maybe start weighing your options, burnout can be a hard thing to come back from.

Burnouts on the other hand can be joyous occasions!!
my89foxbody likes this.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85andstillalive View Post
If you still look forward to getting in and driving it every day then I would suggest keeping it and continue to make it whatever you want, your only limit is your desire and imagination . . . and funds.

If however you're starting to feel a little burned out with it then maybe start weighing your options, burnout can be a hard thing to come back from.

Burnouts on the other hand can be joyous occasions!!
Not really burned out either. I think I'll end up keeping it. I had gotten discouraged when I watched a couple videos about cams ruining a couple motors. One was that Naterider kid, which....why would I take stock on what he says..... But still.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Here's a couple pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapchat-1509523349_1562755098961.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	238.6 KB
ID:	610569   Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1561530982412_1562755167284.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	610571  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Yeah, you probably saw the videos of YouTubers Nate Rider and Jonathan Harder whose cams were incorrectly installed resulting in engine damage.
There are many more happy owners with cammed 3Vs so don't let the horror story of a couple of amateurs discourage you.
My GT only has simple bolt ons but it's still a thrill for me to drive, and the soundtrack from that 4.6 will never get old. I plan on keeping it forever as it's as close as I'll get to owning a classic Mustang bodystyle but with modern mechanicals and creature comforts.
The S550 does nothing for me and though the Coyote 5.0 is a fantastic engine, I prefer the sound of my 4.6 and the Coyote has an extra ~100hp that I'm never likely to use.
my89foxbody likes this.

2006 GT Deluxe - 5MT - 12.52 @ 109.33
311rwhp 328rwtq with basic bolt-ons
MACH I Member

Garage
Quote:
it would be nice to be free of the payment
Being light in the wallet all the time gets old....

IF MY CAR WENT AS FAST AS THE MONEY I SPEND ON IT, I'D WIN EVERY RACE
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikapp View Post
Quote:
it would be nice to be free of the payment
Being light in the wallet all the time gets old....[IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/AllFordMustangs-vbtoucan/smilies/tango_face_smile.png[/IMG]
Amen to that lol.
PONY Member

Add a SC and you will be set to go

2008 Black Mustang GT/CS, 5 speed manual, G/T appearance package, FRPP 4.10 gears, Charcoal Aluminum interior panel, Interior upgrade. Roush TVS stage 1 SC , Stang Hi dyno-jet 93 Oct tune, Pypes LT's X-pipes and delete mufflers, MGW shifter.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calspcl View Post
Add a SC and you will be set to go
great minds think alike, LOL . . . I suggested that earlier, he said he didn't need THAT much power

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
PONY Member

At 76k it's just barely broke in. Keep up with regular maintenance and prepare for preventative items coming up such as the timing gear and rocker/lash adjusters and the ole girl will last several more years. Take up a side job if can to pay off the remaining $2800 very quickly and then when you get in her the driver seat will feel different. I just turned 234k on my '06 and she's still going strong.

2006 GT- Airaid Race CAI, 62mm BBK TB, SR Performance UD Pullies, FRPP Hot Rod Cams, CMDP's, Excedy Stage One Clutch and lightweight flywheel, Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with matching O/R H-Pipe & MBRP Street Axlebacks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page