LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Ashlander Send a message via MSN to Ashlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
yep, size is the most important but the revs/mile does vary a little by brand, so to get the exact right number you can look up the exact tires . . . but it's probably within the tolerance of the settings available in the tuner anyway

my only other guess on the speedometer issue is that maybe the adjusted parameters aren't actually loaded correctly into the ECU -- on my tuner you have to adjust the parameters and then download the tune, if you only adjust the parameters it doesn't actually do anything (until you download the tune with the adjusted parameters)
Yeah that's how I have to do it. Reflash every time I change a setting. Previous owner didn't know why the speedo was off. The RPM matched what I found online, but it was still off with 4.10 selected, so since it was the same deal with my 01, I tried it with 4.30 and it was spot on.

Present
2001 Mustang GT "Mock 1" - 5-Speed, 03 Mach 1 Swap, 98 Cobra Intake Cam Swap, BBK CAI & Longtube Headers w/ H-Pipe 302 rwhp / 310 ft-lbs
2015 Ford Fiesta - Wifes
2002 BMW 330i - 5-Speed

Looking For
1981-82 Mustang Cobra/GT T-Top

Past
1984 Mustang GT T-Top - Bare Chassis
1984 Mustang GT350 - 302 / 5-Speed
1984 Mustang LX - 302 / 5-Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlander View Post
Maybe the S197 looks too 'toyish' alot of the time when modded too heavily on the exterior.
I'm with you on that. I've seen some 197s that are comical with overly done exterior mods. Chins so far out that Bill Cowher laughs at them.
Also agree on the Mach1. One of the coolest mustangs Ford put out after 2000.
Don't know what you're thinking as far as what to do with your ride but imo, I figured cams and full exhaust would serve this retro looking Mustang well.
I could buy a 5.0 anytime but they're all over the place. This car the way it is,draws attention. A lot of it unwanted. Lol
It's a highly modified 08 4.6, probably none around here built like this, and it surprises a lot of knuckle heads that think it's just another 4.6.

08 GT 5spd
Spectra CAI, Comp Cam Detroit Rockers, Kooks headers w/catted H-pipe, Revolution Automotive dyno tuned, FB430 race mufflers, 3.55s, JLT catch can, BMR Lca's and relo brackets. Prothane motor mounts and sway bar bushings.
20% tint, smoked markers and tail lights w/sequentials. Clear front signal covers, series 3 chin spoiler.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandGT View Post
I'm with you on that. I've seen some 197s that are comical with overly done exterior mods. Chins so far out that Bill Cowher laughs at them.
Also agree on the Mach1. One of the coolest mustangs Ford put out after 2000.
Don't know what you're thinking as far as what to do with your ride but imo, I figured cams and full exhaust would serve this retro looking Mustang well.
I could buy a 5.0 anytime but they're all over the place. This car the way it is,draws attention. A lot of it unwanted. Lol
It's a highly modified 08 4.6, probably none around here built like this, and it surprises a lot of knuckle heads that think it's just another 4.6.
One of the things I liked about the New Edge was the engine options. I like having something a bit different from every other car, thats why I dropped the 4v in when the stock engine blew up. Not happy with the 2v 4.6 for whatever reason, you can easily swap in a 4v, a 5.4, or a 4v 5.4 (though with some hood clearance issues). Only option with these really is a coyote, and even that's not that special since every mustang after these have one.

Back to the new '07 though. I just scored some nice black Pypes Violator axlebacks on Ebay for $72 shipped. I YouTubed how they sound with the stock exhaust and I think they sound pretty good, hard to tell how loud they actually are though. Don't want something obnoxious, but for that price they're worth a try. They are from the 'V6 dual exhaust kit', but I'm guessing the actual axlebacks themselves are the same.

I realized that I can use a panhard bar from the 2010-2014 years as well, so I know that'll work if I find a used one for a decent price.

I also found a GT500 front bumper on CL for $125 that I'm considering getting, just to put away until I get the grill, headlights, etc. It looks like Vista Blue, and I actually like the look of them with the GT hood, but the seller isn't very responsive, so I may give that up.

Present
2001 Mustang GT "Mock 1" - 5-Speed, 03 Mach 1 Swap, 98 Cobra Intake Cam Swap, BBK CAI & Longtube Headers w/ H-Pipe 302 rwhp / 310 ft-lbs
2015 Ford Fiesta - Wifes
2002 BMW 330i - 5-Speed

Looking For

Past

MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Not happy with the 2v 4.6 for whatever reason
Probably because it would lay down and die once the tach went past 5000rpm.

2006 GT Deluxe - 5MT - 12.52 @ 109.33
314rwhp 330rwtq with basic bolt-ons
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Honestly I still prefer the exterior look of the New Edge Mustangs. There's just something about them that I can't put my finger on.
I suspect it's because you first started to drive about the time the New Edge was the "new Mustang".

The S197 is built on a much longer chassis - 107" wheelbase vs 101" (to the nearest whole inch). That means it can be made a bit 'sleeker' (I like that better than "less boxy"). The S197's C-pillar is much better integrated with the rest of the bodywork; to me the New Edge greenhouse looks almost like an afterthought with its sharp break.

Quote:
Car drives and shifts great
Getting rid of the triangulated 4-link (with or without the quad-shocks) and going to the 3-link/PHB arrangement was a huge step in the right direction as far as handling composure is concerned. It's arguably at the top of the heap as far as "simple" stick-axle suspensions are concerned.

Quote:
Stock ride height is pretty high. I saw someone selling the Eibach Pro-Kit (35101.140) around town for $100, but I'm not sure if those springs would require an adjustable panhard bar. If not I'll pick them up, but I don't the funds left over a bar if it's needed.
If your '07 hasn't had its shocks and struts replaced with something better than OE (or worse, mass-market OE-replacement), you'll want to budget for those as well. Springs with increased stiffness need better damping to properly control them, else the ride gets bouncey or floaty.

Quote:
Shifter is fine, but has a huge throw and lots of slop. I know everybody loves the MGWs, but I'm skeptical they (or any shifter) can make that much difference in feel aside from the throw distance. Do they really work that well?
I don't think the OE shifter is all that bad when new, but it does seem that wear and tear over time and miles introduce some sloppiness. Not all of it is in the shifter proper - there's a separate link between the shifter and the transmission's internal shift rail that develops play over time. Even the better aftermarket shifters (MGW, Barton) can't eliminate this source of sloppiness.

Keep in mind that short-throw shifting typically brings increased notchiness along with it. I fabbed a short shift lever extension to "de-notchy" the MGW I installed in my '08 a while back. I find it much easier to deal with a little more throw than a lot more notchiness. That's in normal street driving, autocross, or higher speed road course driving. A 100% straightline-oriented street/strip driver might not mind notchy and hate the longer throw.

Quote:
I always like the vista blue but I'm not sure what direction to go as far as exterior mods. I always like the blacked out look, but I'm not sure how well black stripes would work on Vista Blue. Silver stripes would look great imo, but dunno how they'd look with smoked taillights/decklid etc. Any opinions in this area, or any of the above?
Black stripes would be subtle, and far less likely to become "dated" a couple of years down the road. No opinion on a smoked decklid, but IMHO smoked taillights are just as bad as 'clear tails'. If not worse because doing so dims the lights.

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (spare, winter driver)
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I suspect it's because you first started to drive about the time the New Edge was the "new Mustang".

The S197 is built on a much longer chassis - 107" wheelbase vs 101" (to the nearest whole inch). That means it can be made a bit 'sleeker' (I like that better than "less boxy"). The S197's C-pillar is much better integrated with the rest of the bodywork; to me the New Edge greenhouse looks almost like an afterthought with its sharp break.
I actually started driving in '07, so the S197 had been out for a few years. I liked them at the time, but I dont think the front end has aged well. Even on the GT it's not very aggressive looking in stock form. I actually was pretty indifferent toward the New Edge style before I got one. I thought they looked nice, but they weren't at the top of my list at all. They've grown on me alot since I got it though.

Quote:
Getting rid of the triangulated 4-link (with or without the quad-shocks) and going to the 3-link/PHB arrangement was a huge step in the right direction as far as handling composure is concerned. It's arguably at the top of the heap as far as "simple" stick-axle suspensions are concerned.
Definitely. The 3-link is one of the main reasons I was looking into one of these. I had to deal with one of the upper torque boxes coming off the '01. Nice peace of mind know I won't have to deal with that here.

Quote:
If your '07 hasn't had its shocks and struts replaced with something better than OE (or worse, mass-market OE-replacement), you'll want to budget for those as well. Springs with increased stiffness need better damping to properly control them, else the ride gets bouncey or floaty.
I'll keep that in mind. I'm not putting the springs on till I get an adjustable panhard bar anyway, so it might be a while. The car rides great so they must've been replaced at some point, but I'm sure they were just OEM or some other stock equivalents.

Quote:
I don't think the OE shifter is all that bad when new, but it does seem that wear and tear over time and miles introduce some sloppiness. Not all of it is in the shifter proper - there's a separate link between the shifter and the transmission's internal shift rail that develops play over time. Even the better aftermarket shifters (MGW, Barton) can't eliminate this source of sloppiness.

Keep in mind that short-throw shifting typically brings increased notchiness along with it. I fabbed a short shift lever extension to "de-notchy" the MGW I installed in my '08 a while back. I find it much easier to deal with a little more throw than a lot more notchiness. That's in normal street driving, autocross, or higher speed road course driving. A 100% straightline-oriented street/strip driver might not mind notchy and hate the longer throw.
I just noticed that after driving my '01 around the block the other day. That has a Steeda tri-ax, and I immediately noticed how much shorter the throw was and how much more pronounced the 'notches' were compared to the '07. I actually preferred that. Guess I didn't realize the difference before because I never used the stock shifter in the NE so had nothing to compare to, until I drove both of these back to back. It's actually crazy how different they feel.

I thought about fabbing up a custom shift handle after I get a short-throw, but mostly to offset the shift-knob to the left a little bit, since I'm fairly tall and have the seat back a fair bit, so it can be a bit of a stretch to 5th gear sometimes, and would also help getting it out of the way of the cup holders. Might have to play around with different lengths and offsets to see what works. I'm not sure if this would cause some weird stress issues in the shifter though.

Present
2015 Ford Fiesta - Wifes
2002 BMW 330i - 5-Speed

Looking For

Past
Apprentice

I ended up selling my 2001 Cobra because I liked my 2005 GT better. Just seemed more refined and easier to get in and out of. I also feel the pain of the cup holders. Can’t tell from the picture, but the back one has a removable platform that lets you put a large drink in at a lower position that makes it less aggravating. Like yours, I had some peeling of the door panel inserts. I used Loctite Granite Grab to glue them back down. They’ve held up for over a year. I also added a Hurst Competition Plus shifter because I like the look. Kind of stiff but definitely no slop in it. For me, the 2005-2009 have the best retro look. Enjoy the ride.

He is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Oh yeah, I forgot how much of a pain it can be getting out of the New Edges. The doors are so god damn long you can barely swing them open sometimes.

I just painted the indented lines on the tail lights flat black to section off the tri-bar lenses. Looks alot better, but masking the lenses off was a pita. Didn't get any pics, but can if people are interested. I know there's bezels to accomplish a similar effect but they're all over-priced and look cheap/ricey to me. I don't know why they didn't just come factory like this. Kind of surprised none of the vinyl stripe vendors never thought of doing a vinyl kit for this.

Present
2015 Ford Fiesta - Wifes
2002 BMW 330i - 5-Speed

Looking For

Past
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page