Strut question - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By my89foxbody
  • 1 Post By my89foxbody

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Strut question

So I have an 05 Mustang gt and I recently installed new front sway bar bushings, endlinks, and also lower control arms with balljoints. So after driving my car I noticed that my right strut makes a popping noise when turning and some clunking when driving slow speeds , I think I hear some noise from my left strut too. This is all around the upper mounts so Iím wondering what couldíve caused these noises to happen because I didnít hear this before installing the new parts. Any ideas? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I think it is probably the upper strut mounts, not sure why they would start doing it all-of-a-sudden when you changed the struts, but they are known to wear out and cause the popping noise; so it is fairly standard practice to replace them when replacing the struts

if you are going to replace them, might as well use the heavier-duty GT500 version

maybe you disturbed them in the change-over; did they come apart and all the little ball bearings fall out all over the floor by any chance? (been there, done that, LOL)

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

He didn't mention anything about changing the struts, but I agree that it does sound like the strut mounts are at fault. Better to replace struts, strut mounts, coil spring isolators, and jounce stops at the same time so you only do the job once.

2006 GT Deluxe - 5MT - 12.52 @ 109.33
314rwhp 330rwtq with basic bolt-ons

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

If I change the struts completely, would I have to do an alignment?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt95 View Post
He didn't mention anything about changing the struts, but I agree that it does sound like the strut mounts are at fault. Better to replace struts, strut mounts, coil spring isolators, and jounce stops at the same time so you only do the job once.
oops, yep, I guess I was reading between the lines, LOL . . . agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by truecarlos View Post
It is a good idea to check it; but generally there is no adjustment in these struts so they should go right back where they were before . . . there is just a little slop in the bolt holes and generally an alignment shop isn't going to loosen them up and re-torque them anyway, they are just going to check it and say "yep it's in spec" or "it's out and there is nothing we can do" . . . I'm pretty sure the only thing they can adjust is the toe

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truecarlos View Post
The answer is no and yes...Ö.

If you or the shop transfer the springs over to the new assemblies, no.....no alignment is necessary (assuming tire wear and handling are ok before and after install, but, if you purchase a strut assembly that includes the spring (new), etc...Ö then yes, an alignment is necessary.....the reason is although the new spring may be built to oem spec, the oem springs have probably settled a bit (even just a 1/4") over the years, etc....and this affects the alignment specs.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
an alignment shop isn't going to loosen them up and re-torque them anyway

I use to do alignments and that is not a true statement if you are talking about a reputable shop. If an adjustment is needed and I could get it into spec with just moving the spindle from strut bolts, I would do it for sure. But if I can't get enough out of it then I would install cam bolts

ONEZ ST likes this.

2014 GT Premium, Track Pack, Barton shifter, Borla S-type exhaust, Resonator delete, 3.73 gears, Airaid C.A.I., 93 Race Tune, JLT Oil Separator
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by my89foxbody View Post
I use to do alignments and that is not a true statement if you are talking about a reputable shop. If an adjustment is needed and I could get it into spec with just moving the spindle from strut bolts, I would do it for sure. But if I can't get enough out of it then I would install cam bolts
wow that is awesome, I guess I should have said "probably" because I have never seen a shop do that; I have never even seen them take the wheels off

do you do all that for the standard $79 alignment fee or does it go into hourly rate / additional cost?

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
wow that is awesome, I guess I should have said "probably" because I have never seen a shop do that; I have never even seen them take the wheels off

do you do all that for the standard $79 alignment fee or does it go into hourly rate / additional cost?
That was at the standard price, if cam bolts were needed then it would be the additional bolt kit plus half hour labor to install the kit. Those days are long gone for me as I got smarter and changed my profession after 15 years of turning wrenches
scotmo likes this.

2014 GT Premium, Track Pack, Barton shifter, Borla S-type exhaust, Resonator delete, 3.73 gears, Airaid C.A.I., 93 Race Tune, JLT Oil Separator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page