Who should tune my v6 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Who should tune my v6

Was thinking about getting a revx tuner wondering who should i have do the tunes bama or brenspeed.. i installed a bbk cai on my 07 v6 and its throwing a code when American muscle website said it wouldnt. I called them they basically told me i needed a tuner. False advertising if you ask me.. also dont know if i wanna even get it from american muscle. Because of that. But this is the first time ive had a problem with them. I was gonna go with the rev x due to lack of a computer. As it has cloud based storage and wifi.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip.penrod. View Post
Was thinking about getting a revx tuner wondering who should i have do the tunes bama or brenspeed.. i installed a bbk cai on my 07 v6 and its throwing a code when American muscle website said it wouldnt. I called them they basically told me i needed a tuner. False advertising if you ask me.. also dont know if i wanna even get it from american muscle. Because of that. But this is the first time ive had a problem with them. I was gonna go with the rev x due to lack of a computer. As it has cloud based storage and wifi.
Honestly I and lots of people have had issues with the mail order tunes lately. Don’t want to put any vendors down, but do some searches and you will find plenary of info on issues... I would try to find a local performance shop to do some custom tunes.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

How does that work. I take my car there and they tune it or do i buy a blank handheld tuner and they put it on that?

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip.penrod. View Post
How does that work. I take my car there and they tune it or do i buy a blank handheld tuner and they put it on that?
Generally they have all the equipment and they put your car on a dyno and do some pulls while tweaking the tuning until they get it all dialed in just right. You can have them load different tunes on to a handheld tuner if you want to be able to go between tunes for different things, but thats up to you and not required.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019
BOSS Member

I will apologize up front for sounding like a "Dutch Uncle" for a moment….IMHO, going with a mail order tuneis really no different than your grandparents taking their car to"Tune-Masters" for a tune-up......yes, they did change the plugs etc,but they were not there to fine tune the car just find the middle of the roadwhere the car runs and get it out of the shop. Mail order tuners are nodifferent...anyone who claims they can tune your car without everseeing it is selling camel poop- period! They cannot tune yourengine without seeing the data specific to altitude, humidity & fuelburning characteristics- just because you use 93 octane does not mean the 93octane they used on their dyno (tuners) has the same burning characteristics...nordo they typically address the seasonal fuel blends for each region of theUS. I have a friend with a GT 5.0w/factory blower....with the aftermarket tune, blew the pistons through thepan........and he is eating the engine......Ford wanted $10k to replace.....hecalled me for advise, we have it down to about $4k for repairs with him doingmuch of the labor.

Perhaps what is equally importantis the parameters that can be adjusted are set by the OEM vehicle software…sothere is really no “magic” in what they are doing anyway. If you go to this linkhttp://www.fordracingparts.com/downl...ceTechTips.pdf the engineers at Fordracing have a article on just exactly how these “tuners” play games with the hp/tqratings, how calibration can cause misleading dyno results, & some of the“tricks” that are used to gain supposed power increases when in fact,mis-managing your engine.....and the most important item is……these "mailorder tuners' are not regulated like any other auto repair shop in the US...soif they "damage" your car...gee, sorry...sue me!

It is important to verify the“Tuner” is ASE certified in ECM& Trans programming & current. Plenty ofpersons advertise their programs to be the best & offer custom tunes, butvery few have credentials in these areas. Some of these “geniuses” have causeddamage to a few vehicles- just jump over to flatratetech.com & readcomments from the MSE techs!

Ok..I'm done now...…
huberoy123 and MustangLife like this.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019
GT Member
2.3L Member
S197 Member

Garage
hands on only evidently. good luck

Lots of bolt on goodies...
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechkid View Post
I will apologize up front for sounding like a "Dutch Uncle" for a moment….IMHO, going with a mail order tuneis really no different than your grandparents taking their car to"Tune-Masters" for a tune-up......yes, they did change the plugs etc,but they were not there to fine tune the car just find the middle of the roadwhere the car runs and get it out of the shop. Mail order tuners are nodifferent...anyone who claims they can tune your car without everseeing it is selling camel poop- period! They cannot tune yourengine without seeing the data specific to altitude, humidity & fuelburning characteristics- just because you use 93 octane does not mean the 93octane they used on their dyno (tuners) has the same burning characteristics...nordo they typically address the seasonal fuel blends for each region of theUS. I have a friend with a GT 5.0w/factory blower....with the aftermarket tune, blew the pistons through thepan........and he is eating the engine......Ford wanted $10k to replace.....hecalled me for advise, we have it down to about $4k for repairs with him doingmuch of the labor.

Perhaps what is equally importantis the parameters that can be adjusted are set by the OEM vehicle software…sothere is really no “magic” in what they are doing anyway. If you go to this linkhttp://www.fordracingparts.com/downl...ceTechTips.pdf the engineers at Fordracing have a article on just exactly how these “tuners” play games with the hp/tqratings, how calibration can cause misleading dyno results, & some of the“tricks” that are used to gain supposed power increases when in fact,mis-managing your engine.....and the most important item is……these "mailorder tuners' are not regulated like any other auto repair shop in the US...soif they "damage" your car...gee, sorry...sue me!

It is important to verify the“Tuner” is ASE certified in ECM& <acronym title="transmission"><acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym></acronym> programming & current. Plenty ofpersons advertise their programs to be the best & offer custom tunes, butvery few have credentials in these areas. Some of these “geniuses” have causeddamage to a few vehicles- just jump over to flatratetech.com & readcomments from the MSE techs!

Ok..I'm done now...…
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl817 View Post
hands on only evidently. good luck
Huh?
Beechkid likes this.

Current Garage
2018 Honda Civic Type R
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

I mean i dont have any major mods just a bbk cai. Just had a new trans installed not long ago. Dont really like how the overdrive kicks in sometimes. I would think a tuner like brenspeed or vmp could get that right. Almost stock v6. Have researched and been seeing alot of bad things about bama. Thats who i originally planned on going with.. but idk now starting too second guess dropping 500 lol
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

For something standard and simple like a CAI, remote tuning should be OK. The parameters needed for that should be known, there is no mystery that needs testing. Better than that is remote tuning with a data log -- the tuner will send you a tune file, have you load it, take a test drive and data log, and send them the log file; then they can adjust the tune if needed. Dyno tune is supposedly "best" to tweak out the most performance for your car, but that is also dependent on the expertise of that local tuner (no guarantees that they all know what they are doing with your car).

If you check the info that came with the BBK CAI, does it say it requires a tune or not? If it is not clear, call BBK directly and ask them. Intakes require a tune if the Mass Air Flow metering section is larger than the original factory intake; if it is the same then a tune should not be needed. If you can confirm that the intake should not need a tune, then that suggests there is some other problem, probably something having to do with the installation, like maybe an air leak somewhere.

EDIT/PS: did you need to oil the filter in the new CAI? If so, you might have over-oiled it (or it could have been over oiled from the factory) . . . the excess oil can be carried downstream and get on the MAF sensor which screws up the readings; doesn't hurt to clean it (use real MAF cleaner) and while you're at it make sure it is correctly installed
Beechkid and MustangLife like this.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
MACH I Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechkid View Post

It is important to verify the“Tuner” is ASE certified in ECM& Trans programming & current. Plenty ofpersons advertise their programs to be the best & offer custom tunes, butvery few have credentials in these areas. Some of these “geniuses” have causeddamage to a few vehicles- just jump over to flatratetech.com & readcomments from the MSE techs!

Ok..I'm done now...…
Been saying this for years. Was told a long time ago...well almost a long time ago (2006), by one of the top tuners in the country (Ken Bjonnes) that no 2 engines are alike, therefore what Beechkid says above is very true. To get a good, almost perfect tune, it has to be done at a reputable dyno shop. Everything else is guess work.
Beechkid and MustangLife like this.

IF MY CAR WENT AS FAST AS THE MONEY I SPEND ON IT, I'D WIN EVERY RACE
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikapp View Post
. . no 2 engines are alike, therefore what Beechkid says above is very true. To get a good, almost perfect tune, it has to be done at a reputable dyno shop. Everything else is guess work.
Understood and agreed for the "optimum" tune, as close to "perfect" as it can get, a good dyno tune is the "best" . . . . unless the dyno guy screws up and then it could be very bad, which probably doesn't happen very often.

However, in the OP's situation -- where all he changed was the intake, probably doesn't really care about getting the last fraction of a horse out of his engine, and just wants to make the codes go away -- a simple remote tune should do the trick. I'm pretty sure all they have to do is adjust the "mass transfer function tables" so the computer gets correct readings from the MAF sensor, and it should be good to go . . . or at least good enough to stop throwing codes.

It's too bad "Lito" doesn't do V6's (I'm pretty sure) because he does a great job with the 4.6 V8 using remote programing and data logs.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikapp View Post
. . no 2 engines are alike, therefore what Beechkid says above is very true. To get a good, almost perfect tune, it has to be done at a reputable dyno shop. Everything else is guess work.
Understood and agreed for the "optimum" tune, as close to "perfect" as it can get, a good dyno tune is the "best" . . . . unless the dyno guy screws up and then it could be very bad, which probably doesn't happen very often.

However, in the OP's situation -- where all he changed was the intake, probably doesn't really care about getting the last fraction of a horse out of his engine, and just wants to make the codes go away -- a simple remote tune should do the trick. I'm pretty sure all they have to do is adjust the "mass transfer function tables" so the computer gets correct readings from the MAF sensor, and it should be good to go . . . or at least good enough to stop throwing codes.
Right a canned tube “should” do the trick. I will say I did a canned tube for just an intake and never really got the car running correctly one time. Was the most frustrating thing ever and I said never again. Some people have no issues so people do.

Current Garage
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Rookie

Garage
Hey Guys, is there a website or listing of recommended tuners, nationwide? I am thinking about modding my 2005 V6. I live in the chattanooga TN, area
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
@ Phillip.penrod, what exactly is the code that's showing?
I'm reluctant to recomend a tuning option till I have all the facts.
Until then, search your area for mustang dyno tuners and get an estimate. See if it's close to the price of a mail order tune. I think you mentioned $500 for a mail order. You should be able to get a Dyno tune for about the same price.

08 GT 5spd
Spectra CAI, Comp Cam Detroit Rockers, Kooks headers w/catted H-pipe, Revolution Automotive dyno tuned, FB430 race mufflers, 3.55s, JLT catch can, BMR Lca's and relo brackets. Prothane motor mounts and sway bar bushings.
20% tint, smoked markers and tail lights w/sequentials. Clear front signal covers, series 3 chin spoiler.
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach View Post
Hey Guys, is there a website or listing of recommended tuners, nationwide? I am thinking about modding my 2005 V6. I live in the chattanooga TN, area
Sorry. No magical website. Google your area for mustang dyno tuners or visit the Regional page here and ask a volunteer if they know of any.

T

08 GT 5spd
Spectra CAI, Comp Cam Detroit Rockers, Kooks headers w/catted H-pipe, Revolution Automotive dyno tuned, FB430 race mufflers, 3.55s, JLT catch can, BMR Lca's and relo brackets. Prothane motor mounts and sway bar bushings.
20% tint, smoked markers and tail lights w/sequentials. Clear front signal covers, series 3 chin spoiler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page