235/50-19 on a 2010 V6 - Will They Fit? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JBert

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

235/50-19 on a 2010 V6 - Will They Fit?

I have 2010 base V6 convertible and would like to buy some used 19” GT wheels. There are some tires on the local Craigslist that are 235/50-19 and I know they are slightly taller than the 245/45-19 tires that usually go on these wheels. Anyone with experience know if the pump will rub?

Thanks
BB

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Ha! Can find how to edit - last line should be will they rub?

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Look up the diameter of the tires on Tire Rack "specs" tab and compare that to the diameter of your original tires (which you can also find on Tire Rack) . . . if the new tires are no more than about 1" bigger diameter than the originals, they should clear with no problem; assuming that you have not lowered the car.

While there, also check the recommended rim width and see if the wheels you are looking at are in range.
MustangLife likes this.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
Look up the diameter of the tires on Tire Rack "specs" tab and compare that to the diameter of your original tires (which you can also find on Tire Rack) . . . if the new tires are no more than about 1" bigger diameter than the originals, they should clear with no problem; assuming that you have not lowered the car.

While there, also check the recommended rim width and see if the wheels you are looking at are in range.
Great advice. Although to add the OP should also check to see how much the speedometer will be affected. Changing tire size also changes how accurate the speedometer reading is. I imagine in this case it would be impacted and need calibration.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Size

This compares the stock 19” tires to the new size:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B416C738-AD33-48DA-AF74-6FCCA4699CCA.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	612037  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrybobvt View Post
This compares the stock 19” tires to the new size:
Looking at just numbers you shouldn't have an issue with rubbing. You do have 19's on your car currently correct? So only changing the tire size slightly. This will be enough to throw off your speedometer so speed and miles on car will not be accurate. I thought that chart told you by how much, but it doesn't so here take a look at this. So at 60mph you will really being going 61.3. So every 1,000 miles on odometer if I did my math right you would have done really 1021.58 miles. So not a huge differnece, but something to keep in mind if you aren't going to calibrate it.

The attached is from https://tiresize.com/calculator/ which it looks like you may have used as our graphics are the same, but I figured you might have used tire rack as suggested above. I like what I just used as it gives you more info like speedometer which is important to know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tires.png
Views:	8
Size:	692.7 KB
ID:	612039  

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks - I currently have the V6 17” rims but the 245/45-19 size is what comes on the stock GT rims that I’m buying.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

MustangLife - Since I see your signature says you are or were a V-6 owner, do you know if I can swap the premium steering wheel onto my 2010 V6 base and still have the cruise control buttons and connections work? I know the audio does not unless you have a shaker system.
Thanks
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I think you should be OK . . . but you need to compare the new tires that you are considering to your old/existing tires, not to some other different tires.

I'm pretty sure when you check your old/current 17" tires you will find that they are about 27.2" diameter (that is the standard factory diameter for pretty much all of the S197 cars, as far as I know)

So the new tires are about 1.1" larger diameter (also called "taller") than your current/original tires, or 1/2" on each side (radius). That is not a big deal and should clear no problem, assuming the wheels are sized correctly, which mainly means the correct offset so they are not sticking out of the fenders farther than they should. If they are Ford factory Mustang GT wheels, that should not be an issue. Believe it or not, I'm pretty sure Ford still sizes the tires and wheel wells so that you can use tire chains and still have plenty of clearance! So as long as you won't be using chains, you should be fine.

You can do the speedometer math as follows: 28.3/27.2 = 1.04, or 4% increase . . . this means the car will travel 4% farther for each rotation of the tires, and the speedometer will read 4% low (assuming it was correct before).

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks! To check my speed I have downloaded an app to my phone the tells me the true speed and then I know from now on how much I’m off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page