Does the differential oil need to be changed ? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Does the differential oil need to be changed ?

Hey guys, so i'm going trough a maintenance period on my car where i replace every fluid and filter. But i'm not sure about the diff fluid. I checked the manual and it explicitly says :

Rear axle lubricants do not need to be checked or changed unless a leak is suspected - i don't see any leaks
The axle lubricant should be changed any time the rear axle has been submerged in water - it wasn't submerged into water

Now i'm a bit confused since most people say i need to change it around 30k miles but the manual says it doesn't need any change. Did you guys changed it ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

The manual is usually right on maintenance needs since it is designed to make sure that Ford does not have warranty issues, so it does not "need" to be changed.

That said, it doesn't hurt to change it. If you do change it, use a good synthetic fluid (I like Mobil 1 but there are others) and make sure you have the correct friction modifier. Check the fluid bottle, many of them have the friction modifier already in it. After changing it, do some tight figure 8's in a parking lot to work the new fluid into the clutch packs; and if you experience any binding or jumping that does not go away after a few more figure 8's, then add more friction modifier and do it again.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Needed? Maybe not according to Ford. Would I replace it? I sure have usually around 60-100K miles if no other issues caused to be replaced early.

Be sure to use the right fluid which I believe is trans fluid for most mustangs. Friction modifier is very important as mentioned.

I will say I have never heard of the figure 8 method, but makes sense. wish dealers or shops had told me about that in the past. Maybe would have helped...

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)

Last edited by MustangLife; 10-29-2019 at 10:07 PM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019
PONY Member

It does not need to be changed.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019
PONY Member

Garage
MY 2006 GT maintenance schedule calls for it to be changed at 150K. I had mines changed around 130K.

2006 GT, Strut Tower Brace, Gas Hood Struts, FR Intake Plenum cover, Metal Fuse Box cover, Moroso brake reservoir cover, Rear shock tower brace, Front Bumper Lip Spoiler, JVC DVD Head unit w/ back-up camera, satellite Radio and USB input, 2 - 12" sub-woofers, 4 - 6"x8" speakers, 2 - 6.5" speakers to replace the door subs, 3 amplifiers, LED lights under the hood and in the trunk, chrome e-handle on parking brake handle, chrome cup holder trim, and trunk lid cover with running pony emblem.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page