What should I be aware of (new to me 2005) - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

What should I be aware of (new to me 2005)

I found a pristine 2005 GT with only 6,650 miles on it. Manual transmission, coupe. Is there anything I need to be aware of based on it's age alone? The miles aren't enough to have worn anything out but the age may require some maintenance that needs to be checked. The tires are original and although they have great tread they are nearly 15 years old.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I'd start with the basics like fluid changes, air filter, belts, check hoses, and yeah new tires are probably a good idea, even though you can probably get away with the old ones.

Scan the threads in this forum to get some idea of the common issues to watch out for.

Since it has such low mileage I assume it was a garage queen so they are probably clean -- but I'd clean the cowl drain vents on the firewall to prevent water from building up in there, before you leave it out in the rain.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Very well stated list above me. Tires are a MUST right away!

That is really low milage for that year of car. I hope you have much better luck with your low mileage find than I did. I will say though those 4.6's in the 2005-2010's are almost bullet proof so that should be good.

To avoid issues like I had change fluids right away when you do the tires. Spark plugs won't be needed right away, but do them before 50K. Once they get a lot of wear they are two piece plugs and are a pain to get out and many break causing for a tough do it yourself or expensive shop bill.

Great find though and hope you got a great deal!

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago
GT Member
2.3L Member
S197 Member

Garage
IMHO, I would pull the plugs now and apply the recommended nickel anti-seize to them. with that low of mileage I would think they should come out without much issues. Get the airbags replaced (for free) ASAP. Again IMHO, the next thing you should purchase is a MGW or Barton short throw shifter. the stock one is so sloppy and upgrading is fairly easy and makes a world of difference in drivability. I have a first gen MGW in my 05' GT and it was night and day difference. going forward, think about how you want to use the car. I.E. DD or mostly street, some track days or drag racing. you can quickly throw money at parts and short term they are fine but long term may hinder a future mod like FI for example. its your car to enjoy so think about how you want it to perform and go from there. Welcome and good luck!
JKrew likes this.

Lots of bolt on goodies...
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangLife View Post
Great find though and hope you got a great deal!
Not sure how to answer that one. It was listed at a dealership in a small town outside of Billings for $14.9k. I got it for $13.2k. There were 3 people that tried to make offers after I got that deal. We flew up and drove it back to Denver yesterday without a hiccup. I know it books for less but we're pretty happy.

Thanks for the suggestions... Definitely new tires this weekend and I'll start poking around at the other items too.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG68 View Post
Not sure how to answer that one. It was listed at a dealership in a small town outside of Billings for $14.9k. I got it for $13.2k. There were 3 people that tried to make offers after I got that deal. We flew up and drove it back to Denver yesterday without a hiccup. I know it books for less but we're pretty happy.

Thanks for the suggestions... Definitely new tires this weekend and I'll start poking around at the other items too.
Don't sweat book values. It is hard to book value a older car with such low miles. That sounds like a great deal for what you got. 05-09 GT's with around 100K miles are going for 7500-9000 so you paying around 4K more for one with under 10K miles is not bad at all. If I were in the market for another 05-09 GT I would certainly consider that deal.

Not sure the shifters are that big of a deal for me in that platform, but like said above you can certainly tell a difference, but unless you are tracking it in anyway it isn't needed as these cars don't have shifting issues just long throws.
huberoy123 likes this.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago
PONY Member

I bought a 7800 mile 07 GT last year for $15k. Outside of oil changes, it was 100% original. Since I live in a rural community decided to chance the tires for a bit. Blew one out within a month, so yes recommend changing tires but look at the manufacturing dates first. Next thing that went out was the battery, followed by leaking front struts, and then the rear shocks, and lastly the pinion seal started weeping. The Aux plug on my Shaker 500 is inop and the issue is internal to the head unit (note there are many issues relating to the Shaker stereo's posted. The door cards are starting bubble now and I'll probably end up repairing those soon. Luckily it does not have the water leaks inside the cabin that a lot of these suffered over the years.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG68 View Post
I found a pristine 2005 GT with only 6,650 miles on it. Manual transmission, coupe. Is there anything I need to be aware of based on it's age alone? The miles aren't enough to have worn anything out but the age may require some maintenance that needs to be checked. The tires are original and although they have great tread they are nearly 15 years old.

Thanks.
I always liked the throaty tone of the 4.6 over the raspy tone of the newer 5.0's in the 2010 to current model years.

I read your other post about the price paid and it almost always comes down to whatever the market can handle when it comes to low mileage Mustangs. So I think you paid a fair price for it even though it's over the book value.

And as others have said, replace the tires and oil & filter and handle the normal issues that arise such as the battery.

What color is the car?

----------------------------
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEZ ST View Post

What color is the car?
It's black with charcoal leather inside. Honestly, it looks like a showroom car still today. Oil change was done at the dealership and tires are getting installed tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191113-050842_Chrome_1574425913550.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	741.6 KB
ID:	612309   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191113-051016_Chrome_1574425942207.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	706.0 KB
ID:	612311  
ONEZ ST likes this.
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

One of my favorite colors but a chore to keep clean. Ceramic coating the paint would be another recommendation. GYEON Q2 Mohs Ceramic Paint Coating is what I use.

----------------------------
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 5 Days Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

MartyG68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEZ ST View Post
I always liked the throaty tone of the 4.6 over the raspy tone of the newer 5.0's in the 2010 to current model years.
I just watched a video stating that exact same thing... throaty vs raspy. I tend to agree; my co-worker has had 2 new Mustang's and I like the way mine sounds better already.
ONEZ ST likes this.
GT Member
2.3L Member
S197 Member

Garage
that shifter looks like its riding kinda low. unscrew the knob and see if its an aftermarket. gotta love a clean GT.
MartyG68 likes this.

Lots of bolt on goodies...
Rookie

Garage
Be aware of many people staring because you have an amazing looking car in great condition! That is a great deal! I got my 06 GT with 88k miles for $10k last year for reference and I thought that was a good deal.

I would consider changing the spark plugs soon due to the potential difficulty in replacing them if they get stuck. It's not too expensive and could save you trouble later.

As you and others have mentioned, the 4.6 sounds really good, so one thing you could look into is aftermarket exhaust to help with that sound.
MartyG68 likes this.
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl817 View Post
that shifter looks like its riding kinda low. unscrew the knob and see if its an aftermarket. gotta love a clean GT.
Just pop the leather boot out of the hole, move the wad of fiber insulation out of the way and take a picture of what is down there. It does look a bit low in the console to me too. An aftermarket shifter kit will NOT be bolted to the floor pan.

I have 2005 GT that I paid almost 15 grand for 4 years ago. It was factory fresh with only 22 K on the clock then. This week I saw 66666.6 on my odometer, and my hair stood on end.

EDIT: On second look after driving mine this morning, your shifter looks normal to me. My OEM shifter boot ring is only about 1 1/2 finger above the rim of the boot on the console in first gear. Yours appears to be in neutral and about 2 fingers above the boot rim.

130 total pounds of Pitbull ruled by 8 pounds of cat.

Last edited by Dana W; 3 Days Ago at 11:51 AM.
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Check your VIN against the airbag recall registry, or with a dealer. Mine are Takata and overdue for replacement still.

MartyG68 likes this.

130 total pounds of Pitbull ruled by 8 pounds of cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in