Cut the wheel studs, a safety concern ? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pikapp

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Cut the wheel studs, a safety concern ?

hey guys,

so i'll try to explain this as best as i can. on my wheels i had some very weird nuts, basically you would have to put in a tool to rotate them, not over the the nut as usual (picture for reference). one day i went to the shop to get my brakes cleaned and when i got the car back i didn't think much of it. fast forward half a year, it's time to change to winter wheels and surprise i can't get the bolts out. i look closer and half of them are damaged probably from the time i cleaned my brakes and they didn't how how to put them back properly.

anyway, so now i'm trying to take them off and the only solution is to drill trough the nuts, into the wheel stud, to shave off as much metal as possible so i can get the tool in to get a grip on the nuts. i finally managed to do it and i had to destroy the non threaded part of the stud. once i got the wheel of i cut the non threaded part from all studs to make them all at the same level (very primitive sketch of what i did).

now my question is, can i drive like this or do i need to replace the studs and how dangerous it is to drive like this ? also if i have to replace the studs, can i take them off easily knocking them off or do i need to remove the whole wheel hub and wheel barrel to take it off ?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	76678001_582352589240871_3938820288464027648_n.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	612343   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	30
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	612345  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious013 View Post
hey guys,

so i'll try to explain this as best as i can. on my wheels i had some very weird nuts, basically you would have to put in a tool to rotate them, not over the the nut as usual (picture for reference). one day i went to the shop to get my brakes cleaned and when i got the car back i didn't think much of it. fast forward half a year, it's time to change to winter wheels and surprise i can't get the bolts out. i look closer and half of them are damaged probably from the time i cleaned my brakes and they didn't how how to put them back properly.

anyway, so now i'm trying to take them off and the only solution is to drill trough the nuts, into the wheel stud, to shave off as much metal as possible so i can get the tool in to get a grip on the nuts. i finally managed to do it and i had to destroy the non threaded part of the stud. once i got the wheel of i cut the non threaded part from all studs to make them all at the same level (very primitive sketch of what i did).

now my question is, can i drive like this or do i need to replace the studs and how dangerous it is to drive like this ? also if i have to replace the studs, can i take them off easily knocking them off or do i need to remove the whole wheel hub and wheel barrel to take it off ?
You don't need the non-threaded part of the studs, you'll be fine.

2014 GT Premium, Track Pack, Barton shifter, Borla S-type exhaust, Resonator delete, 3.73 gears, Airaid C.A.I., 93 Race Tune, JLT Oil Separator
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

agreed, if you only cut off the non-threaded portion it should be fine; I am not sure what that portion is for but it does not carry any load

someday you might want to replace the studs and I think the easiest way is to buy the whole hub with the studs pre-installed

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019
MACH I Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
I am not sure what that portion is for but it does not carry any load
It helps to align the nut properly to the threads so you don't cause a cross-thread when installing. For those of us that take the nuts off numerous times a day....it helps.
my89foxbody likes this.

IF MY CAR WENT AS FAST AS THE MONEY I SPEND ON IT, I'D WIN EVERY RACE
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikapp View Post
It helps to align the nut properly to the threads so you don't cause a cross-thread when installing. For those of us that take the nuts off numerous times a day....it helps.
I agree but from a safety point of view there isn't an issue not having the non threaded part of the stud

2014 GT Premium, Track Pack, Barton shifter, Borla S-type exhaust, Resonator delete, 3.73 gears, Airaid C.A.I., 93 Race Tune, JLT Oil Separator
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikapp View Post
understood . . . . yeah I kinda realized that when I was playing NASCAR pit crew while changing three cars over to winter wheels last weekend, LOL

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page