Ford Mustang Forum banner

Cut the wheel studs, a safety concern ?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  JBert 
#1 ·
hey guys,

so i'll try to explain this as best as i can. on my wheels i had some very weird nuts, basically you would have to put in a tool to rotate them, not over the the nut as usual (picture for reference). one day i went to the shop to get my brakes cleaned and when i got the car back i didn't think much of it. fast forward half a year, it's time to change to winter wheels and surprise i can't get the bolts out. i look closer and half of them are damaged probably from the time i cleaned my brakes and they didn't how how to put them back properly.

anyway, so now i'm trying to take them off and the only solution is to drill trough the nuts, into the wheel stud, to shave off as much metal as possible so i can get the tool in to get a grip on the nuts. i finally managed to do it and i had to destroy the non threaded part of the stud. once i got the wheel of i cut the non threaded part from all studs to make them all at the same level (very primitive sketch of what i did).

now my question is, can i drive like this or do i need to replace the studs and how dangerous it is to drive like this ? also if i have to replace the studs, can i take them off easily knocking them off or do i need to remove the whole wheel hub and wheel barrel to take it off ?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
agreed, if you only cut off the non-threaded portion it should be fine; I am not sure what that portion is for but it does not carry any load

someday you might want to replace the studs and I think the easiest way is to buy the whole hub with the studs pre-installed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.