Ford Mustang Forum banner

How to remove scratches on the windshield ?

5K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  WindStang 
#1 ·
Hey guys, so i have a few scratches on my windshield that really bug me. This was my own stupidity that i tried to scrape off some bird poo with my nails instead of using a proper cloth and some spray. Long story short, i have an area of scratches on my windshield. Any good ways of removing it, or any specific products i should use ?

Also would want to do the same on the side windows that in time got scratched by lowering the windows.

#2 ·
Windows don't scratch because of fingernails..... but,

If it's a true surface scratch, you have a couple of options 1) is to go visit a local glass shop (any type - house, car, etc.) and they will be able to put together a polishing kit for you..... basically a cotton buffing pad that can attach to the end of a drill and glass polishing compound...it's in a powder form. Low speed, light pressure and patience will take care of that.... but work slowly because if you go too far (so to speak) you can get "waves" in the glass...and that is not repairable. 2) A glass shop can polish this out for you 3) Toothpaste has jewlers rouge in it and makes an excellent glass polish as well..... "Pearl Drops" tooth polish is very good for this but any brand will do.

As far as the side windows go, definitely need to remove the inner door panel to see what is going on..... the side "guides" have felt on them and most likely got dirt on them causing the scratches.... clean with a soft brush (toothbrush)….do not use any carpet cleaner or solvents on this!!!!!!! a little simple green is ok if it's grime. Otherwise you might (unlikely) find the felt has worn away and must be replaced.

#5 ·
Windows don't scratch because of fingernails..... but,
Take it from the expert in bird poo who knows a thing or two because I've had a bird or two **** on my car like seagulls at a picnic.

Bird poo will scratch the living daylight out of paint and glass because of the gritty content. Little known fact of our aviary friends plumbing. Birds don't have a pisser that's why their crap is so runny. Instinct says wipe off the goop while its wet but wet or dry its loaded with grit not to mention paint staining berry additives.

Pressure hose it off before carefully trying to wipe it off.

As far as the scratches are concerned, try gently polishing them out by hand by sparingly using a dab a scratch remover followed by polishing. I use this method for glass and painted surfaces. Toothpaste will work to.

#4 ·
#7 ·
Ford revised the inner door belt strips. Not what year you have, but they didn't have felt on them only rubber from '05-'07. Over time the rubber turns hard and begins to scratch the glass and window tint (if installed). I found this out after I had my windows tinted and some time later it began to get vertical scratches which eventually worn completely through the tint and then the glass. rant3.gif LMR even mentions this in their "product description" section. As for removing the scratches, I used glass stove top cleaner on a micro fiber cloth.

#8 ·
Nice info, i was wondering why my door windows kept getting scratches even after cleaning the rubber and applying silicone lubricant.

As for OP don't feel bad man, i once had sticky stuff someone threw on the windshield (or perhaps it felt from the tree but it was too sticky to get out with fingernails)
Dumb me used the yellow/green dish washing scotch sponge.. lol.. Lets just say the green part was more effective taking it out:grin:

#10 ·
#14 ·
This, basically.

At home, I'll bring out a half gallon plastic milk bottle filled with warm water and use that to not only do the soaking but also to do the rinsing. Works well whether the poo is on the glass or on the paint.

Norm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.