Codes from a new Cold air intake? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By JBert

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020 Thread Starter
Rookie

Codes from a new Cold air intake?

So I have a 2008 gt. No tunes. I purchased a BBK cold air intake that say requires no tune. After 3rd day i threw a P0174 code(Lean Fuel). Is this just a coincidence or could this be caused by the CAI? I removed the intake and reset code. So far code has not reapppeared after 1 day

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Yes I think it could be caused by the CAI.

I am not sure about that particular model; but I know some of the "no tune required" CAI's have an insert that makes it "no tune required" or if you remove it, then you need a tune. So make sure the insert is installed correctly, if that intake has one. Also double-check the MAF sensor installation; and if you had to oil the filter, clean the MAF sensor because it might have oil on it.

Another thing is it might be on the borderline of needing a tune. The reason an aftermarket intake needs a tune is that the mass air flow metering section is bigger than the original factory intake. This means that the readings from the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor are "wrong" because they are calibrated for the original diameter. The "tune" adjusts this to correct the readings for the larger diameter, to correctly measure how much air is coming in. The EFI system can self-adjust a certain amount, I am not sure how much, without that calibration. So I'm guessing that maybe that CAI is slightly larger than the factory one, which makes it "borderline" for what the computer can self-adjust for . . . but that is just a guess.

Maybe you can contact BBK directly and ask them about it?

my89foxbody and Beechkid like this.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020 Thread Starter
Rookie

Ok thanks. I was going to clean the MAF first.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
The EFI system can self-adjust a certain amount, I am not sure how much, without that calibration.

The OEM software system is designed to adjust the fuelmixture up to 10% on pre-2000 engines and 25% on the 2000+ mod engines.......that’s more than enoughto handle fuel mixture adjustments up to 7,000 foot elevation change! (for high elevations 8,000+ there are oemsoftware programs for those specific applications).

But with so much of the design of the aftermarket CAI systems being so, well, non-existent, you are right on the mark that the readings are beyond that which the ecm can respond to.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechkid View Post
The OEM software system is designed to adjust the fuelmixture up to 10% on pre-2000 engines and 25% on the 2000+ mod engines........
I'm not sure if that is designed for altitude changes like you say, or to compensate for other things like incorrect MAF calibration due to change of metering section diameter without correcting the transfer tables. As I understand it the front O2 sensors are used to sense and correct the air/fuel mix, within that range. Increasing the size of the tube isn't really a design flaw, it's intentional.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
. Increasing the size of the tube isn't really a design flaw, it's intentional.
Not so much the size of the tube, but the design/placement of the sensor causes skewed readings..... FYI, the A/F adjustment, that's right out of the Ford service manual.... as the A/F mixture changes such as going from sea level to 5,ooo feet, the system adjust via the O2 sensors to maintain the correct mix.... the oem software can handle that up to 8k foot elevation... beyond at that point, it can't lean it out enough to maintain correct A/F (safeguard limits)….so that's why they have the "optional" software that removes this limitation.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
Apprentice

I had this issue. The short answer is a tune will fix the code. I actually fiddled around with the air flow until I was able get it to not throw throw the code. and I did it by monitoring my short term fuel trim and adjusting incoming air by using flashing material under the filter. So yes it can be done. and I can explain it all. But..... you will be much happier if you just go ahead and get a tuner with a tune. It will make a difference.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaxyl View Post
you will be much happier if you just go ahead and get a tuner with a tune.
........and a big honkin CAI!!!

08 GT 5spd
Spectra CAI, Comp Cam Detroit Rockers, Kooks headers w/catted H-pipe, Revolution Automotive dyno tuned, FB430 race mufflers, 3.55s, JLT catch can, BMR Lca's and relo brackets. Prothane motor mounts and sway bar bushings.
20% tint, smoked markers and tail lights w/sequentials. Clear front signal covers, series 3 chin spoiler.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandGT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaxyl View Post
you will be much happier if you just go ahead and get a tuner with a tune.
........and a big honkin CAI!!![IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/AllFordMustangs-vbtoucan/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/IMG]
Like the JLT 3. 😄

2006 GT Deluxe - 5MT - 12.50 @ 109.61
314rwhp 330rwtq with basic bolt-ons
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
Rookie

Garage
I have a 2006 GT with a BBK cold air intake as well. When I bought the car it already had it installed with a few other upgrades, but nothing that required a tune so I assume it never had a tune other than stock.

At one point I started getting the same lean code and got an OBD II scanner and phone app to track it. The code eventually went away, I think it was related to a seafoam treatment I did in preparation for a spark plug change (won't be using seafoam again). I continued having elevated fuel trim levels at about 10%-15% and wan't initially sure what was causing it. After a while I figured it is likely because of the intake and the computer is using fuel trim to make up for the extra air. The car runs great so I decided to stop looking into it.

If it is enough to make a CEL I would try to get that figured out. If I understand correctly a fuel trim greater than 25% is what creates the lean code and the CEL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page