Ford Mustang Forum banner

Cam phaser one tooth off

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  jordinithegreat 
#1 ·
I just installed new phasers on my gt and like an idiot i forgot to hold on to the cam with a vice grips. So needless to say it moved ever so slightly, i didnt even think about it at the time so i just slapped the phaser on there and closed everything up. When i started it all it did was backfire for the 10 seconds i had it running. So if the phaser is just one tooth off would my valves still be ok? Ive heard theres no interference within a couple teeth off. And i remember the direction the cam moved so im going to try and move it back one tooth when i get my new phaser bolts. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
Well i turned the phaser back one tooth and the car starts alot faster than it did before and doesnt sound quite as bad but its still pops constantly, almost like the sound of a two step. So tomorrow im going to turn the phaser back one more tooth and if it still doesnt sound right i guess i'll have to take the front cover off and retime it as long as no valves are bent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.