Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Dalton2006GT
  • 1 Post By jordinithegreat
  • 1 Post By imps

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Cam phaser one tooth off

I just installed new phasers on my gt and like an idiot i forgot to hold on to the cam with a vice grips. So needless to say it moved ever so slightly, i didnt even think about it at the time so i just slapped the phaser on there and closed everything up. When i started it all it did was backfire for the 10 seconds i had it running. So if the phaser is just one tooth off would my valves still be ok? Ive heard theres no interference within a couple teeth off. And i remember the direction the cam moved so im going to try and move it back one tooth when i get my new phaser bolts. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 5 Days Ago
Apprentice

Garage
Not sure but I do believe these motors are interference motors but I doubt you hurt any of the valves being 1 or 2 teeth off. You could do a leak down test to see if you bent some valves or not just to make sure.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

imps likes this.

2012 Lava Red GT
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 1 Day Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Well i turned the phaser back one tooth and the car starts alot faster than it did before and doesnt sound quite as bad but its still pops constantly, almost like the sound of a two step. So tomorrow im going to turn the phaser back one more tooth and if it still doesnt sound right i guess i'll have to take the front cover off and retime it as long as no valves are bent.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 1 Day Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

I just got done putting the phaser another tooth back. It runs good now so the phaser was two teeth off originally, hopefully no valves got hit with it being two teeth off.
imps likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 22 Hours Ago
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordinithegreat View Post
I just got done putting the phaser another tooth back. It runs good now so the phaser was two teeth off originally, hopefully no valves got hit with it being two teeth off.
If any valve were bent, you would now know it, like having a spark plug disconnected.
Jeremy Weigel likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 21 Hours Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Awesome. Thats a relief.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page